My Sweet Spot
13-04-2014, 09:45 AM,
My Sweet Spot
What am I doing here? Why the bloody ‘ell am I contributing to a running forum. I am a mountain biker who lives and breathes mountain biking… the satisfaction of hill climbing and that adrenalin rush of racing down single track at 30 mph not quite knowing what is round the next corner… and yes I am one of the co-conspirators who came up with the idea of the Moyleman – but I biked it, I was the lead bike. Yet somehow I have started to run. And more worryingly somehow I have started to enjoy running.

And… this morning I achieved something that I couldn’t even imagine a couple of months ago… in fact I couldn’t even imagine it a couple of weeks ago.

One thing I have always found odd since I started running in January this year, is that I am quite fit when it comes to mountain biking. I’m quite good at it – or so I am told – yet put on a pair of running shoes and I struggle to get out the front door without having to call for an ambulance.

So the last few months have been hard… I managed to get from 1 mile to 2 miles and then from 2 miles to 3 – but then reached a plateau which I couldn’t seem to break. Stuck on the Kingston loop (3 miles of mainly road running – and I hate road running). But then following some sage advice from a couple of running friends of mine (Ash and Rob) things started to change. I managed to run far enough to get onto my beloved Downs – and once you are up there life is brilliant.

And I also discovered the sweet spot – you know, that short period of time after you have warmed up before you hit the wall. A couple of weeks ago I would hit the wall before I had warmed up, but now I have a good 25 yards of loveliness before I hit the wall – that’s progress right?

So this last week has been an interesting one – 5 runs in 8 days – 2 in Devon and 3 around the hills of Lewes and this morning I did it… I hit my goal and ran all the way from home to the top of Blackcap and back. 6.7 miles, 1,340 feet of climbing and an average pace of 9.17 min/mi. And I feel alright, in fact I feel elated much as I did three years ago when I went through a similar process on my bike.

Having made it to the top of Blackcap I almost flew over Mount Harry and through the woods back home. The question is what next… Well if I can do Blackcap then what about carrying onto the South Down Way and perhaps over the A27 and up to Castle Ditch Hill… and then perhaps down into the valley of death… and then perhaps…

#Moyleman
13-04-2014, 11:10 AM,
RE: My Sweet Spot
Oh my. Another one wanders over to the dark side. And how young/old might you be, CharlieCat5? I fear you are too young to be yet delivered to the RC-living-dead. Pray tell me I am wrong, but if Sweder already knows you well, it may be too late.

[Image: running%20dead.jpg]
13-04-2014, 01:32 PM,
RE:
I am about half way through my mid-life crisis. Biking, running and I was thinking kite surfing next. It's too late for me my friend... I'll accept what's coming ... as there's not a lot of choice at this age.
13-04-2014, 02:55 PM,
RE:
Wilkommen, CC5, and well done on the running. Looks as if the famous addiction is working its tragic magic once again.

As long as you've already embarked on the midlife crisis (and all the signs are there), you should fit in OK here. We'll let you know which counselling package to offer once we've we've seen a bit more.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
13-04-2014, 09:08 PM,
RE:
Just as long as it isn't the package you put Sweder on... no one deserves that...
13-04-2014, 09:10 PM,
RE:
Sweder is, and always has been, a special case. No one gets what he gets.
13-04-2014, 09:14 PM,
RE:
Talking of Sweder, I've just had a ribeye, a couple of pints of Badger and a glass of Merlot at the Pelham Arms. Life is good.
13-04-2014, 09:26 PM,
RE:
Next you'll be sinking a few pints of Harveys at the Con Club... are you sure you're not actually Sweder in disguise? Are we being conned?
18-04-2014, 08:30 AM,
This running lark has its ups and downs.

I have now discovered the signs of a troublesome run out. It’s when you can’t get into the zone – that state when you forget about the running and your mind wanders too far away places. All I could think about this morning was my legs and simply putting one foot in front of the other at a pace that was slightly (and only slightly) above a walking pace.

I should have heeded the moaning my legs were doing last night on a 17 mile bike ride and perhaps stayed in bed this morning – but the sun is shining, the Downs are beautiful and hard as this morning run was – it was glorious out there.

In the last two weeks I have run 33 miles and biked 28. Not bad for a fat lad.

Tongue
18-04-2014, 08:34 AM,
RE:
A fat lad? You've been masquerading as a scrawny cat. Run some more.
18-04-2014, 09:17 AM,
(18-04-2014, 08:34 AM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: A fat lad? You've been masquerading as a scrawny cat. Run some more.

What, now!? I'm just sitting down to a bacon scarnie... you know that perfect balance of carbohydrates, protein, fat and fruit (tomato sauce). Ideal recovery tucker.
18-04-2014, 09:25 AM,
No no - running always ceases for a bacon sarnie. It's a kind of law.
18-04-2014, 10:15 PM,
RE:
Monsieur Le Chat, are you partaking of the Lewes 10k on Easter Monday?
I just entered. Seemed appropriate, what with me trying to come back from the dead, though the only stone-rolling I face is the propulsion of my impressively large belly for six miles.
If I start now I have a real chance of a top ten finish.
18-04-2014, 10:53 PM,
RE:
Wow, I thought you hated 10k races, Sweder?
19-04-2014, 07:48 AM,
RE:
There are a number of reasons why I am not running the Lewes 10k

1) it is 10k
2) I'm not ready to run with other people yet
3) I don't like road running
4) It doesn't go up on the Downs
5) I don't want to risk getting stuck running behind your arse... I've been there before
6) I'm in Derbyshire

Good luck tho' hopefully this will give you the kick up the arse you so deserve.
19-04-2014, 09:07 AM,
RE:
And 7) I don't run kilometers, I run miles because I'm a proper man (ahem)
19-04-2014, 10:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 19-04-2014, 10:47 AM by Sweder.)
(19-04-2014, 07:48 AM)Charliecat5 Wrote: 5) I don't want to risk getting stuck running behind your arse... I've been there before

Ooh, you said you quite enjoyed that.
Some people can be so fickle ...

I do hate 10ks, MLCMMan. However, as Mr Cat points out so eloquently, I need a kick up the ample posterior. Making myself take part in a 10k is suitable punishment for four months of sloth.

What? It's on the road? Why?
I knew this was a bad idea : (
20-04-2014, 07:44 AM,
2.5 miles this morning. It's all I could manage. Up to the Crich Memorial Stand, behind the quarry, over the tramlines and back along the road. Too much beer, roast lamb, chocolate cake and beer (did I mention that) the night before and heavy lungs this morning led to a very poor run, even by my standards.

Onwards and upwards.
22-04-2014, 09:15 AM,
RE:
Having been full of the joys of running I have now come down with a hacking cough, aches and pains. I knew something was amiss when my planned 5 miler turned into a horrible 2.5 miler over the weekend. I blamed a combination of alcohol, Easter dietary extravagances and running through wind and rain… but it seems that the lurgy was showing its face as well.

Still I am away now for a few days – taking the air in Lille so hopefully I will have shaken this off by the end of the week ready to push my modest limits a little further at the weekend.

Bon fonctionnement , au revior
22-04-2014, 09:21 AM,
RE:
This looks like a man in need of his own diary ...