Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another planet, another podiatrist.
25-08-2008, 04:46 AM,
Got a hot tip for a good podiatrist here in Sydney, so made myself an appointment and saw him this morning. But I should have taken heed of the warning that came with his name, Mr.T.

After a barrage of barked questions he took to my various body parts with titanium-tipped steel thumbs, forced me to stretch muscles and ligaments until they snapped; measured various angles with instruments that doubled as Inquisition Confession-getters and then as I lay begging for mercy he made some pronouncements:
  • my skeletal structure is a confusion of small problems which cumulatively are destroying my knees, shins, hips and alarmingly, my neck.
  • my current orthotics are managing the problem but not remedying it.
  • the reason I have trouble running further than 30km/week is because my hamstrings are woeful and my lower legs are consequently working too hard which leads to shin splints and in turn exacerbates my knee problems.
  • my right shin is crooked to an extent that also means knee problems are inevitable.
  • my right leg is about 8mm longer than the left which means further inevitable hip problems (the early stages of which he amply demonstrated with another demonstration of his best friend - pain).
  • I am rapidly developing bunions, which may or may not cause pain later on but which also demonstrate a fundamental skeletal problem.
  • my knees were not as badly wrecked as my GP had led me to believe and so it wasn't too late to try and remedy the problem.
  • however he suggested not running further than 10km at a stretch for the time being, but there was no reason I couldn't run the "occasional" marathon if I wished in the future (before my body completely packs up).
  • that despite these issues I was in "pretty good form" for a 47 y.o., BUT;
  • unless I stretched those bloody hammies daily he would personally disembowel me as a warning to others.
I asked, "So you don't really have a problem with me continuing to run?"

"No", he said smilingly as he took my wallet, impounded my car and taking my kids as surety for the payment of the new super running-orthotics, "not at all." (I couldn't help noticing that my wallet was significantly lighter when he handed it back, but I felt it impolite to check its contents.)

When I again promised to stretch the hammies daily he finally released his iron grip and I escaped out of his dungeon and into daylight again, which somehow seemed vaguely more sinister than when I had arrived.

So on the whole a fairly positive (if not a little painful) outcome I thought. And to be honest, I'm a little relieved that he recommended restricting my mileage for a while. The hills around here where I live have made even short distances difficult, so my mileage has been pretty low anyway, but it's not been without some degree of difficulty. It puts the idea of a marathon on the back burner again, and even November's Point to Pinnacle must be in doubt now, but such is life. The main aim of my running has always been to prolong life anyhow, and I've persisted through injury mainly for that reason. It's the one form of exercise I can readily do and which I enjoy. So it's worth the hassles. If I never get to run a marathon it won't matter that much, as that hasn't been the main goal. Still, it would be nice not to have to die wondering.

Anyway, excuse me, but I have to go and stretch my hamstrings before The Inquisition call.

:o
Run. Just run.
25-08-2008, 07:54 AM,
So basically what you're saying is that if you were a racehorse you'd be shot.

Good news about the knees though, and I suppose as he prescribed new orthotics there's hope yet.

Keep it up! Smile
25-08-2008, 10:14 AM,
That's the trouble with asking . . . sometimes you get answers.
But it does sound like this monstrous manipulator may do some good if you manage to live long enough to enjoy the benefits. Marathons are over-rated; longevity with purpose is a more noble pursuit.

Hills eh? Hmmm . . .

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

02-09-2008, 02:43 PM,
dare I ask how much the orthotics set you back? I only ask because number 2 child who plays lacrosse (England under 19 player a couple of years ago - fond mother's boasts now over) was prescribed orthotics by NHS physio after damaging his achilles earlier this year and they didn't charge him a penny...mind you I don't know how good they are, maybe they will fall apart in a coupld of months time?
Phew this is hard work !
03-09-2008, 10:32 AM,
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:my right leg is about 8mm longer than the left

Eek

That should mean that your left leg must being 8mm shorter! Congratulations to her! :o

Welcome by the way to the non-symmetrical-persons-club, prestige and popular institution containing approximately 100% of world population. We both belong to the same category.

Talking about percentages and your fairs, a recent query for Spanish men says:
  • 50% will be satisfied is they could play with their kids when aged of 47.
  • 75% will be happy if they could win his neighbour playing tennis when aged of 47.
  • 83% will be proud if the could climb the Snake when aged of 47.
  • 100% of them will automatically sign up for being able of running a marathon when aged of 47.
Anyway these results are not very credible. Everybody lies on this way after Olympic Games.
Ana Smile
04-09-2008, 08:45 PM,
Ana Wrote:Eek

That should mean that your left leg must being 8mm shorter! Congratulations to her! :o

Welcome by the way to the non-symmetrical-persons-club, prestige and popular institution containing approximately 100% of world population. We both belong to the same category.

Talking about percentages and your fairs, a recent query for Spanish men says:
  • 50% will be satisfied is they could play with their kids when aged of 47.
  • 75% will be happy if they could win his neighbour playing tennis when aged of 47.
  • 83% will be proud if the could climb the Snake when aged of 47.
  • 100% of them will automatically sign up for being able of running a marathon when aged of 47.
Anyway these results are not very credible. Everybody lies on this way after Olympic Games.

Great reply Ana. Lovely to have you back with us.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.