Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XVII Almería half marathon. 2nd February 2014
28-02-2014, 08:50 PM,
XVII Almería half marathon. 2nd February 2014
It was fantastic to be able to welcome the English friends who came from Gatwick airport on Saturday 1st February with a copy of the previous day “La Voz de Almería” with an article on the back about Sweder’s affair with Almería half marathon. In it the journalist wrote about his coming here ten consecutive years with other friends he had met in this forum highlighting that he and other friends left Molly Malone’s pub without any Guinness. After greeting S., his wife S., El Gordo, his wife M., Julie and Cam, I took El Gordo, M and Cam to their hotel while the others went there in a taxi. Later at the hotel, I took my wife and met there Simon R. and Andrea who had come on Thursday. It was a nice surprise to see them there. By the way, Simon had been for a swim in the sea. Then we went to have some drinks, tapas and a plate of Manchego cheese. In the afternoon, we went to the sports centre to pick up our race numbers and the goodie bag with several things such as a T-shirt, a cap, a pack of tomatoes, etc.

On Sunday, I picked up Sweder, Simon R. and Andrea while Julie and Cam were taken in Gary and Marian’s car to the stadium. After leaving the car in the stadium car park, we went to the sports centre where we met the other runners. It was a lovely sunny day, ideal for the race. We all started together. Sweder, who had a sore throat, wanted to go at a comfortable pace and go faster if he felt better later. So, we started together at a pace we could talk a little. This year the half marathon was just one lap but the first kilometres are a bit tough since the hills, especially from kilometre two to three, are quite steep. This first part takes you away towards new neighbourhoods with a lot of terraced houses. We passed by the Cinema museum, the house where John Lennon stayed when he was in Almería when he was in the film “The war we won”. That house reminded him of the Strawberry fields of Liverpool and inspired him to compose the song when he was there in 1967. We managed to go at a 6 minute pace the kilometre. After kilometre 5, the course is downhill getting to the bullfight ring and going through it while we could see some bullfighting pupils doing some “passes”. From there we went down to Puerta de Purchena, Almería’s Picadilly circus and down Paseo de Almería where we greeted Molly Malone’s pub. After reaching kilometre 10, we went along parque Nicolás Salmerón where the local band was playing. From there I had to slow down a little, leaving Sweder ahead. Actually, he did the half second part really fast since he managed to do it five or six minutes faster than the first one, doing the whole course in around two hours. I got to the fishing port and then back to the Nicolás Salmerón park to take avenida del Mediterráneo where my wife Carmen and a friend of us cheered me. It was kilometre 15. From there on I felt some discomfort in my left back thigh, which made me do a few one minute walks from time to time, which reminded me of Suzie’s strategy. The last kilometres I went up towards the stadium feeling tired but happy to be able to finish my local half. I finished in around two hours nineteen minutes real time. Unfortunately, a problem with the chip, this year in the race number, prevented me and thirty other runners from being in the results list. Apparently the organisation is trying to solve this incident.When I got there, I had a bottle of water and an orange and went into the sports centre where I met and congratulated all my friends. Besides, I met El Gordo, M. and S. We waited there to clap Sweder when he went up to get his award from the sports local councillor for having run this race ten consecutive times. Later, Andrea was given the second prize in her category. After that, I took Simon and Andrea to their hotel.

Later we all met to have lunch at La Encina restaurant. We met at a bar near Molly Malone’s that was still closed and went to the restaurant where we all had a good time and enjoyed the meal and the cake with the candles to celebrate Sweder’s tenth consecutive participation at Almería half marathon. We had Catalan champagne “cava” with a piece of cake. Apart from the runners and accompanying partners also came Santi, Antonio G., who had taken part in the race and Carmen and Manolo who hadn’t. Afterwards, we went to Plaza Vieja and plaza Flores where we took pictures at John Lennon’s statue. Then, we went to Molly Malone’s where we had some drinks. My wife Carmen, my sister María del Mar and a friend of hers also came.

On Monday, we went to San José. I took El Gordo and M. in my car and Sweder, S., Julie, Camilla, Andrea and Simon went in a local coach. There we all met when they were coming from Genoveses beach. In my car we went to Mónsul beach. Later, we all met to have lunch in a restaurant at San José port. In the evening, we met at Molly Malone’s where we had a drink and later S., M., Camilla, Andrea, Simon, Santi and I had a few drinks and tapas at La Bodeguilla, near Molly Malone’s while El Gordo and Sweder remained at the pub watching a football match. Unfortunately, Julie couldn’t come because she was ill with a temperature. After leaving Andrea and Simon at Molly’s with Sweder and El Gordo, Santi and I walked with M., S. and Camilla to their hotel wishing all of them a safe journey back home.

I’ve enjoyed a lot these short but intense days with these friends who came from Britain and Switzerland to spend a few days in southern Spain.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

01-03-2014, 12:07 AM,
RE:
Excellent report Antonio! Thanks for that and the excellent photos. It seems you all had a superb weekend - may there be at least another ten to come!
Run. Just run.
01-03-2014, 09:41 PM,
RE:
Yes great report and photos Antonio, a real flavour of what it was like to be there. Well done on your performance despite the thigh problem.
02-03-2014, 03:07 PM,
RE: XVII Almería half marathon. 2nd February 2014
Thank you, MLCMM and Dan. It was a wonderful long weekend.

I should train better, more and lose a few kilos to do a half under two hours. I think I can do it some time.

Saludos desde Almería.

03-03-2014, 12:51 AM,
RE: XVII Almería half marathon. 2nd February 2014
(02-03-2014, 03:07 PM)Antonio247 Wrote: I should train better, more and lose a few kilos to do a half under two hours. I think I can do it some time.

I'm certain you could do it, Antonio!
Run. Just run.
03-03-2014, 09:43 PM,
RE:
Gracias, amigo. I'd love to do a half marathon under two hours following your pace.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XXII Medio maratón de Almería Antonio247 5 1,273 11-02-2019, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  XXI Medio maratón ciudad de Almería 4th February 2018 Antonio247 2 947 13-03-2018, 09:48 PM
  XX Medio maratón de Almería 5th February 2017 Antonio247 5 2,454 23-02-2017, 09:15 PM
  XIX Medio maratón de Almería Antonio247 21 10,534 28-03-2016, 11:22 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  XVI Medio maratón de Almería 27th January 2013 Antonio247 6 5,216 18-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Worcester half marathon 15th April 2012 Antonio247 18 12,051 27-05-2012, 08:06 AM
  XIV Medio maratón de Almería and other races Antonio247 15 12,606 01-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  XIII Medio maratón de Almería 31st January 2010 Antonio247 13 11,211 02-04-2010, 09:43 PM
  II San Silvestre Almería. 27th December 2009 Antonio247 6 5,968 05-01-2010, 11:14 AM
  III 10 kms del puerto de Almería Antonio247 5 5,537 28-04-2009, 06:45 PM