Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Medio Maraton Ciudad de Almeria 2014
01-02-2014, 11:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-02-2014, 06:49 AM by Sweder.)
Medio Maraton Ciudad de Almeria 2014
The Armada has landed.

As I stepped off the plane I was feeling a tad jaded after a 4am alarm and the travails of modern airline travel. Then I saw Antonio, grinning, waving a copy of yesterday's La Voz de Almeria.

Your reputation precedes you, Mr Sweder.

01-02-2014, 05:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-02-2014, 05:39 PM by El Gordo.)
RE: Medio. Maraton Ciudad de Almeria 2014
Dispatch from the (sea)front:

Well done to Antonio for drawing the attention of the world to Sweder's remarkable feet. Celebrity has arrived late, but in Almeria, most things do.

And it's not just Ash whose achievements are being lauded. Stout fellows like the great SP have played their part. From what I can make out, the subheadings say something like: "The British who left the bar without beer. In one night, he and his friends drank all the Guinness in Molly Malone's".

Hmm, on the subject of which..... surely it must be beer o'clock....?
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
02-02-2014, 05:24 AM,
RE:
Sweder and the running drinking team have become celebrities in Almería. Actually, the article was commented on the radio on Friday.
I guess Molly Malone must have filled their Guinness kegs for this weekend.

Best of luck at the race this morning!

Saludos desde Almería

02-02-2014, 06:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-02-2014, 06:46 AM by Sweder.)
RE:
We put a modest dent in their reserves last night Big Grin
02-02-2014, 10:11 AM,
RE: Medio Maraton Ciudad de Almeria 2014
(02-02-2014, 06:45 AM)Sweder Wrote: We put a modest dent in their reserves last night Big Grin

It was reassuring to note that in 2014, they are no nearer to dispensing a proper pint of the stuff than they were in 2005. Oh, they get there in the end, but they are perennially baffled by the challenge of pouring a pint and ending up with a pint. At a rough estimate, it takes a litre of Guinness poured to produce the half litre that is served.
El Gordo

02-02-2014, 09:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-02-2014, 02:59 PM by Sweder.)
Survived the race despite an ugly and persistent lurghie that flared up to close my throat at 4am. I jogged round with Antonio for much of the course, taking it easy, enjoying the views on this entirely new circuit. Warm sun radiated out of a mostly clear blue sky as a cool breeze kissed my brow. This was just peachy.

After halfway I checked in with Antonio. He was doing OK, giving hope to my cunning plan to trick him into a sub two hour run. The plan fell apart when, some way short of kilometer eleven, my companion was not to be found. I checked my pace - ten minute miling - and realised his much-feared discomfort must have made an appearance. I plodded on, somewhat unsure of what I should do. I'd set out to run a two hour race, so why not try to judge that from here ? I sailed on serenely enough, calculating time and distance, adjusting my pace, feeling groovy. Right up until the point where, at 17 kilometres, the course leaves the seafront and meanders back up to the Stadium. I always underestimate the incline here, and so it proved today. Despite my best efforts, including a kilometer at 8 m/m pace, I missed my target by sixty seconds.

Reunited with a successful* band of runners in the sports hall I was invited to loiter for the awards ceremony. The organisers, at Antonio's behest, presented me with a rather swanky wood-mounted silver plaque, honouring my tenth consecutive appearance at the event, a sort of 'life-time acheivement award'. I was delighted to share the moment with my fellow runners, not least Antonio himself, without whom etc and so forth.

This afternoon has been about rehydration, eating multiple courses of delicious local food, catching up with old friends and toasting those unable to be with us this year. Tomorrow a trip to Cabo de Gata beckons, with paella and cerveza in our communal sights.

"Absent friends"

*Santi 1:37, Simon 1:39, Moylebird 1:40, Ladyrunner 1:47, Andrea 1:54 Sweder 2:01, Antonio 2:17
02-02-2014, 09:41 PM,
Well done to you all (how many pre-race pints were there this time?)
And well-deserved recognition for those 10 consecutive finishes. You've got your place in the Almeria hisory books now! Loved the newspaper report Big Grin
02-02-2014, 10:44 PM,
RE:
What an excellent way to mark the decade - well done, Antonio Smile
03-02-2014, 01:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-02-2014, 03:00 PM by Sweder.)
Award

Here's a photo of the award. Antonio can offer a more accurate translation, but it says more or less 'in recognition of completing ten consecutive Medio Maratons in Almeria. Thank you for sharing your sporting endeavours with us'.

I'm hopeful that the tale of the ceremony, with tired and hungry runners gathered for what seemed like a week and a backdrop of bone-shaking techno, will be told by another. For my part, I am humbled by this show of generosity from our hosts. I'm also pleased as punch that I was able to complete the race this year even though sick as a dog (I'm writing this at 2am, unable to sleep thanks to a horribly swollen throat and blocked nose).
03-02-2014, 08:02 AM,
RE:
It was a proud, if slightly surreal, moment for us all.

I will be posting some sort of report, though it might take a day or two.
El Gordo

03-02-2014, 11:12 AM,
Brilliant gesture Smile
03-02-2014, 04:43 PM,
I think it's great that the organizers recognized your commitment and gave you the plaque. Almeria, once again, makes this race special. I don't think that would happen at any other race. Too bad you weren't feeling great, makes it hard to keep up the pace (both in the race and at Molly Malone's). I was thinking of all of you this weekend.
03-02-2014, 09:25 PM,
RE:
I was talking on the phone to MLCM Jr #1 (Christopher) in London at the time of the race and we made a point of thinking of you all and regretted (again) not being there with you. But crikey, it's a fast troupe that now ventures there: Sweder thrashed into sixth place and five finishers under (well under) the two hour mark!

Well done everyone, another fabulous Almeria effort!
Run. Just run.
04-02-2014, 07:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-02-2014, 07:47 AM by Sweder.)
RE:
I neglected to post MSilv's time -partly because I'm not sure what it was, though another sub-120, to be sure. She joined us for the evening before and race-day from her home in the mountains. So actually, thrashed into 7th Big Grin
This was a bumper turn-out in many respects, with a total of 4,174 runners lining up.

Despite my sluggish time there were many still trooping home long after I staggered across the line. Back in the day you could count the number of post-2-hour finishers on one hand.
04-02-2014, 05:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-02-2014, 12:42 PM by Sweder.)
Antonio
Home after the flight from hell (mostly thanks to blocked sinuses, a sore throat and a streaming nose) with time to reflect on what ten years of running in Almeria means to me and why it's so easy to ring-fence this weekend in my diary.

There's the weather; warm sun glinting off the Med, light breezes dancing down from the snow-capped Sierras; The food; lusty chorizo and Iberian jamon, the sharp bite of Manchego cheese, succulent paella, crunchy calamari and a tempura aubergine dish to die for; the cerveza, the rioja, the stunning scenery, the warm and friendly locals who never fail to come out and share their city with us ... so much to enjoy. It's easy to see why we keep heading back.

There is one reason, one catalyst to our weekends of fun and frolics, that stands noble head and broad shoulders above all of these: Antonio. The Running Commentary Almeria Armada was your idea, the success of which you ensured and continue to ensure through endless patience, selfless hard work and a desire to see everyone happy. You are our tireless guide, our City conduit, a credit to your home and your family, and our dear, dear friend. You accept us as we are, sometimes noisy, sometimes brash, so many people's needs to be met. It must be like herding cats. You meet the chaos we bring every year with the gentle smile of a man watching over his naughty children.

Antonio, as a regular end-of-January visitor I have enjoyed more of your hospitality and friendship than anyone. It was my great pleasure to run by your side on Sunday, to chat about the places we passed, the meals to come and about modern life in Andalusia. It is also my honour now to express, on behalf of everyone who came over this year and those fortunate enough to have been before, our deepest thanks and most sincere gratitude for all that you do.

Muchas Gracias, Amigo.
08-02-2014, 08:46 PM,
RE:
Congratulations on your beautiful reports, S. I'm really glad you kept my pace for eleven kilometres in spite of my insisting you should go at your faster pace. I'd love to have been able to go with you all the course but I started to feel some discomfort in my back left thigh and I thought I'd rather go more slowly to avoid an injury that prevented me from reaching the finish in such a special date. It was amazing that after our 6 minute pace you managed to do the half in two hours one minute.

I think that the fact that you had been able to come here and take part in a half marathon for then consecutive years deserved something special such aspublished in a local newspaper, an award given by the sports local councillor and a cake with number 10 for dessert at the restaurant on Sunday.

I'm very glad you all have had a good time in my home town these years. It's been a real pleasure for me to have my amigos from far away in my town and I'm very glad that you all share your time here with me. It always brings me very good memories and my friends from here also have a very good time with all of you.

I'd like to thank again El Gordo for having set up this website that has it made possible to meet such wonderful people in the virtual world but also in the real world not only in Almería but also in Reading, Brighton, Connemara and ,for some lucky ones, in Australia.

¡Muchas gracias, amigos!

Saludos desde Almería

10-02-2014, 07:40 PM,
I echo what Sweder and Antonio have both said. Antonio welcomed us ten years ago and has kept on being the most gracious host year after year. But none of it would've happened without this website. So thank you EG, I can honestly say that my life is fuller because of you. And I hope to make it back to Almeria one year!
12-02-2014, 08:32 AM,
Muchas gracias, Suzie. I agree with you. This website has made it possible to meet different people from different places that share something in common.

Looking forward to meeting you here again whenever you like.

Saludos desde Almería

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is This The Way To Almeria? Sweder 14 1,971 20-01-2019, 01:36 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  August 2014: Turning Over A New Leaf Sweder 33 21,552 03-10-2014, 05:50 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  July 2014 Sweder 29 16,660 03-08-2014, 11:28 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  June 2014 Sweder 32 18,173 30-06-2014, 10:18 AM
Last Post: glaconman
  May 2014 Sweder 39 21,840 01-06-2014, 02:02 AM