Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Val Doonican
19-01-2014, 02:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 19-01-2014, 02:23 PM by Bierzo Baggie.)
Val Doonican
Let's see if I can get this diary running again ....it's more of the same, more of the same but running and writing go together like egg and chips and I've never stopped reading all your stories, adventures, views on life and all that... so .....
19-01-2014, 08:23 PM,
RE:
Hurrah! A most welcome return, as most of us are in some way crocked.
19-01-2014, 08:56 PM,
RE:
Yay! Onya BB!
Run. Just run.
19-01-2014, 09:07 PM,
RE:
Welcome back BB!
20-01-2014, 06:07 AM,
RE:
Where's me cardie and rocking chair?

Ah, that's better. Let the show begin.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
20-01-2014, 09:17 AM, (This post was last modified: 20-01-2014, 09:18 AM by Bierzo Baggie.)
RE: Val Doonican
Yep, the rocking chair, the rocking chair..

Val Doonican is sitting on a rocking chair with a chunky Christmas sweater and a guitar. The inevitable log fire warms the comfortably furnished room. He’s singing “some of my best friends, some of them old ones, some of them new...” And I thought, that is the story of my season, and the previous one and the next one and the next one ...and so on... That’s me on that rocking chair that is.

Running is fun, healthy for body and soul (obsessive behaviour apart...). I’d probably run even if there weren’t any races to do. I’m getting noticably slower and it’s taking longer to recover each year but I’ll tell you what...

I still love those races.

I’ll do the same races year after year and will continue doing so for the foreseeable future even if I’m finishing last or getting timed out.

And I can see myself turning into a Val Doonican with muddy trainers and varicose veins, rambling on into late middle age and beyond.

Try to stick a few fresh, new ones into the mixer from time to time, but the more familiar races mark the changing seasons for me. They form part of my skin.

Expect to hear the same old tunes.
20-01-2014, 07:44 PM,
Looking forward to reading your beautiful reports on races in northern Spain and those interesting people you depict so well, BB.

It's a pity that Ponferrada is so far away from Almería and communications aren't very good. It'd be great if you could spend the weekend here and take part at Almería half so that we all could meet you.

20-01-2014, 08:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 20-01-2014, 08:13 PM by Sweder.)
(20-01-2014, 09:17 AM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote: Expect to hear the same old tunes.

Going to a gig to see a favourite band is something I treasure.
They open with a popular number or two, then slip in a few 'from our latest album'. As the night draws on they pull out the big guns, the old favourites, until the crescendo of the encore sends the fans home, hairs up on the backs of their necks, eyes shining, hearts pounding.

I love the classics Big Grin
21-01-2014, 09:14 AM,
(20-01-2014, 07:44 PM)Antonio247 Wrote: It's a pity that Ponferrada is so far away from Almería and communications aren't very good. It'd be great if you could spend the weekend here and take part at Almería half so that we all could meet you.

The roads are fine Antonio, it's the 1000km distance that puts me off... vamos, Plymouth to Aberdeen more or less. Have to work on Monday too. If there were cheap flights from Leon/Valladolid/Santiago/Asturias to Almeria maybe... as far as I can there there are only flights from Madrid. Would love to come one year but I'd have to take a few days off ...difficult/impossible at this time of year. Sad
21-01-2014, 12:40 PM,
RE:
Well said BB. They're important rituals to be part of that strengthen your relationship with the community and the land.

I've got my faves but then there are also 100s on the calendar; and it would seem odd not to try a few new ones each year.

It seems like running has been a way-of-life for you for a long time. Which explains why you have such a captivating voice.
21-01-2014, 02:49 PM,
Yes, you're right. It's easier and cheaper to travel to London from here than going to León or Valladolid.

Best of luck!

Saludos desde Almería

22-01-2014, 08:42 AM,
2013 Playlist:

Last season went something like this...

March: Alto Sil. 30ish kms in mud, snow and pack ice. Monster climb at the end. Legs hurt. Took me exactly 5 hours.

Cacabelos 10k. Road race. First 10k for a few years. Struggled at the end and legs were still screaming from Alto Sil. 46 minutes.

3 days later, Pajariel Vertical (NEW) Individual time-trial from river level to the top of Monte Pajariel. Spitting distance fom home so I couldn’t miss this one. 300 metres climb in less than a km. Took me 18 minutes!!!

April: Tebaida Berciana. Usually do well in this one. 20ish kms and some good stiff climbs and descents. Bonked over the last few kms and ended up walking down hills. Nearly 3 hours!

May: Truchillas. Arrived 10 minutes late and had to chase the field down. Course modified due to snowy conditions. Straight up and straight down. T’was fun but icy underfoot.

June: Aquilianos short route. 6 hours 15 minutes. Not a bad time but really suffered at the end. Knees ached, achilles ached, arms ached, getting old...3 guys from the long route passed meon the final section by the river.

3 weeks later. Pajariel Nocturna. Night race over 12k. Ran with Jose miner sharing a head-torch which illuminated less than a geriatric glow-worm. T’was fun once again.

August. Milla de Sada (Galicia) (NEW) The surprise of the year. Ran a mile race in the Vets-only contest and loved it. Very satisfying to discover that I can still run that distance in 6 minutes. Lovely finish along the sea front. Would like to do more of these next year.

October: Barrancos de Santalla (NEW) First visit to this off-road race in a nearby pueblo. 13k with moderate climbs. Wild boar stew in the post race knees up and blokes in skirts.

November: Dragonte. Another year chasing the dragon courtesy of Basurko the ultra running butcher. 2k flat and 6k climbing up to the village in the sky. 50 minutes and middle of the pack.

With runs and races I clocked about 700k for the year. I know coz I write it all down. It’s been 6 or 7 years since I topped 1000k. I’m getting noticably slower and it’s taking me longer to recover. More bits hurt and for longer. Even putting on a few extra kilos for the first time ever. Time to take up carpet bowls? .....nahhh.

Now for 2014...
22-01-2014, 01:03 PM,
RE:
Just a routine year then... Smile

Some fabulous events in there by the sounds of things. And tremendous variety. Have you decided on this season's opener?

Don't forget to give us the occasional training update! How does one prepare for a 6 hour mountain run / walk followed by a flat out mile?
23-01-2014, 09:51 AM,
RE:
Signed up for the Alto Sil on March 16th which tends to be the first race of the season for many around here. Officially it is the last day of winter.
I'll try to make weekly training updates.
Last year I averaged one or two runs a week except in February when you fellows introduced me to the concept of "streak running". I failed in my attempts of course but February was an unusually prolific month as a result.
I'll try the forum effect again this year...
27-01-2014, 12:28 PM,
RE:
Not much going on.
One run on Sunday on the lower slopes of Monte Pajariel. 38 minutes.
Lots of people out walking dogs. It felt like being back in England.
6ºC and slightly muddy.
Lower back pain took my mind off the aching achilles.
28-01-2014, 03:28 PM,
That pretty much sums up running after 40. One injury taking your mind off another Smile
28-01-2014, 10:27 PM,
(28-01-2014, 03:28 PM)glaconman Wrote: That pretty much sums up running after 40. One injury taking your mind off another Smile

Except that the backache is not running related at all, it's from lugging around sacks of coal to fuel our central heating ... oh yes, I do like to do my bit for the environment....Dodgy
30-01-2014, 02:08 PM,
(28-01-2014, 10:27 PM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote: Except that the backache is not running related at all, it's from lugging around sacks of coal to fuel our central heating ... oh yes, I do like to do my bit for the environment....Dodgy

At least that explains why you're so fired up.

Minimise your carbon footprint - sweep up afterwards.

...etc
30-01-2014, 02:11 PM,
RE:
BTW I will now be going on endlessly about eccentric stretching to treat sore achilles. I will no doubt recommend that you try it. And no, it doesn't mean doing calf raises while wearing a spotted bowtie.
31-01-2014, 08:04 AM,
(30-01-2014, 02:11 PM)marathondan Wrote: BTW I will now be going on endlessly about eccentric stretching to treat sore achilles. I will no doubt recommend that you try it. And no, it doesn't mean doing calf raises while wearing a spotted bowtie.

Whatever it is, it sounds awful! Sad
Run. Just run.