Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
05-03-2014, 01:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-03-2014, 01:05 PM by marathondan.)
RE: 2014
Analogy of the week, from the ever-reliable Robbo:

"Norwich and Hull followed up good wins with heavy defeats, like men jumping out of the way of an oncoming train and finding themselves falling down an embankment."
05-03-2014, 01:04 PM,
RE:
... much like my running style. Dammit, who IS this Robbo?
Run. Just run.
05-03-2014, 01:05 PM,
And while I'm reposting highlights from my feed reader, why not distract yourself during high intensity sessions by trying to come up with ridiculous motivational statements:

[Image: 20140304.png]
05-03-2014, 01:06 PM,
RE:
I'm more of "no pain ... no pain" kind of guy. Pass the bottle, please.
Run. Just run.
05-03-2014, 01:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-03-2014, 01:07 PM by marathondan.)
(05-03-2014, 01:04 PM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: Dammit, who IS this Robbo?

His analogies and similes are like... something really good.

Hmm, it's not as easy as it looks.
05-03-2014, 01:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-03-2014, 01:17 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
I quote aforementioned "Robbo"...

It's amazing what passes for a head butt these days. Time was a man would have to sway his head back like a malicious woodpecker before splaying a rival's nose across the middle of his face in an instant homage to Steve Bruce.

or...

Pardew is a knob, yes, but this is the worst case of hype since Eden Hazard 'kicked' a ball boy - and the only problem there was that he didn't kick the little twot harder.

This is not even English, is it?

OK, OK, I admit the "dead man talking" has a certain way with ... words ... and I admire his passion for what I presume is the sport he is ... "writing" about ... and ... but ... heck ... it's like eating rice pudding for breakfast. You sort of know what's going on, but it makes no sense.

What?
Run. Just run.
12-03-2014, 12:27 AM,
RE:
I love Robbo. Not enough of that in my life just now Big Grin
01-04-2014, 10:38 AM,
RE:
Another visit to the friendly and knowledgeable physio Rob this morning. Which gives me the nice novelty of having something to post about for a change.

I've been doing the eccentric strengthening for a couple of months now. Managing two sessions a day quite a lot of the time, one of them with the 20kg pack (which my back is coping with OK). I can't say I've seen any real improvement in the tendon, but according to my understanding that's to be expected, and Rob confirmed that. So the plan is to keep going for another month or so, then rest it a bit and try a bit of running.

He's also remarked several times on my poor biomechanics ("wow, you've got very flat feet"... "they're not runner's feet, are they?"... "quite thin calves, too"...) which has been a reminder that many of us here are making do with what we've got rather than fulfilling any natural talent for running. Anyway, this also led him to give me a podiatrist referral. I've always shied away from orthotics and the like, seeing them both as bottomless money pits and ways of complicating the pure and simple activity of running. However, if I seriously want to get back to long distances, and to continue for the foreseeable future, I've got to embrace these things. The blow is somewhat softened because, as I'm on a long term layoff, I have time to play with, and all the consultations can be done on the NHS.

So the plan now is to keep up with the eccentric loading, and also bring in concentric loading (rising up on the weak foot as well as descending), normal calf stretches, proprioception work (single leg balances, wobble board etc), and... when I'm ready to start running, try running on the spot on a trampoline to minimise impact.

He also pointed out that there's a buildup of scar tissue on the left (non-painful) tendon as well. Back in July last year I wrote that my tendons looked more convex than they used to, and so clearly I was building up that scar tissue all through last year - and I assume it will be there for life.

Finally, there was a mention of what might happen if it doesn't clear up - referral back to the GP for "injecting something into it". That would have filled me with horror six months ago, but I'm getting more realistic about what it will take me and my non-runner's feet to keep on the road. (Although I won't be on the road - hopefully I'll be giving myself a "welcome back to running" present, and that will be some offroad shoes.)

On a different topic, I'm trying something different starting yesterday - working standing up. I normally have a totally sedentary job, so I've just put the PC on top of a bookcase and got on with it. It's feeling good so far, apart from a few odd looks around the office. I guess fellow RCers have a mixture of activity levels during the day - I'm guessing Sweder, Antonio and BB are on their feet a lot of the day, MLCM and EG less so?

Tune in next month pop pickers for the latest Top Ten(don) news!
01-04-2014, 11:18 AM,
RE:
My job is sort-of half and half ... a slow day is mainly sitting, but a busy day is a lot of running around, albeit within a small area. I can't do the basic part of my job standing, so I do make a conscious effort to stand as much as possible through the day when things are quiet. It all helps.

As you know, my running was rescued and transformed by orthotics, so I'm a big fan, but it did take quite a lot of time to get them just "so". But it was worth it - the incidence of shin splints, plantar fasciitis, Achilles strains, knee pain and ITB strains have 95% disappeared because of them, so yep, I'll always happily endorse orthotics. Sure it's a last resort thing, but they can really work.

Best of luck Dan with all of that ... as we get older it's all the more important to keep running, so stick with it!
Run. Just run.
01-04-2014, 01:01 PM,
BTW I'm claiming 10 marathons a year for working standing up.
03-04-2014, 12:50 PM,
RE:
very impressed with your systematic and exploratory approach to regaining fitness Dan. I hope the standing-up works for you. I have to say that when I tried it (about 4 years ago) I got Plantar the very next day. I actually think there were alot of other factors involved. But it might be worth phasing it in just to be safe.
04-04-2014, 09:26 AM,
RE:
Good thought GM. Although I'm not running at present so maybe the risk is rather less. But I will watch out for strange pains. Well anyway it's Friday, and in the words of Elton John, I'm still standing. I think it's working quite well. It does make me appreciate a good sit down.
07-04-2014, 10:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-04-2014, 06:01 AM by El Gordo.)
Interesting. In my office, there's been a rash of standers popping up over the past couple of years. Some drift back down again soon enough while others I feel sure would be unrecognisable to me if I ever saw them seated.

It's the Angela Rippon syndrome, in reverse.

More mature members will recall that AR, the seasoned BBC newsreader from the 1970s, was widely rumoured to have no legs, as these were never seen. She proved otherwise in a shock appearance in the 1977 Morecambe & Wise Christmas Special. Ah!! That's entertainment!! That's glamour!! Try telling that to the youngsters of today.

Angela on the M&W Show
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
08-04-2014, 05:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-04-2014, 06:01 AM by El Gordo.)
RE:
Back in the day Newsreaders were like chaste Daleks, all the action was above the waist. These days they glide around their CGI-enhanced studios, more reporter than anchor. On South East Today the (standing) amazonian weather girls tower above the seated co-presenters. Not that I've noticed, you understand.

Back in '77 my teenage eyes were out on organ-stops. Those legs went on forever. AR still presents on the BBC today. She reprised that moment last year (she still sports remarkably shapely pins). I can't for the life of me remember where/ on what, though.
08-04-2014, 06:05 AM,
RE:
1977. Crikey. Apropos of nothing, I've just been scanning my journals and notebooks from 1977 (as part of my 'paperless' project -- another story). I had to read them all, of course, and was suitably mortified. What an utter disaster of a 19 year old.. Er, sorry, as you were....
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
09-04-2014, 11:42 AM,
(08-04-2014, 05:49 AM)Sweder Wrote: I can't for the life of me remember where/ on what, though.

On 19 November 2011, Rippon appeared on Children in Need, performing alongside BBC newsreaders Sian Williams, Susanna Reid, Sophie Raworth, and Emily Maitlis in a special one-off edition of Stricly Come Dancing.

Apparently it just seems like last year to you. Smile

I think EG might be searching Youtube for that clip.
16-04-2014, 07:22 PM,
RE:
Feeling a little more positive about the tendon. I was away with friends at the weekend, and managed a fair bit of football and cricket with the kids, and walked 3-4 miles. I would at least have expected the Achilles to be stiff after that, but it was fine. It's still sore to the touch, but I think that might be with me long-term. I've been doing the exercises for 10 of the 12 proscribed weeks now, so once we hit May I'll try a bit of that running on the trampoline, and maybe even a couple of miles a week actual running.

The less good news is that the football and cricket with the kids, and walking 3-4 miles, is about all the exercise I've done in 5 months.
17-04-2014, 08:19 AM,
RE:
I guess that's why the Achilles is so often used as a metaphor for intrinsic weakness - it's a bastard of a thing to get right. Keep at it though, Dan - your day will come.
18-04-2014, 08:08 AM,
(16-04-2014, 07:22 PM)marathondan Wrote: The less good news is that the football and cricket with the kids, and walking 3-4 miles, is about all the exercise I've done in 5 months.

I have an inkling as to how that feels, Dan. Many here have experienced those long layoffs and the fear of the come-back. In your case there's more to fear than just the shock at the loss of fitness. I only have an impressive barrel of lard to shift, daunting though that is just at the moment.

Running on a trampoline? I have visions of A+E, plaster casts ...
22-04-2014, 08:19 AM,
Well I have an appointment with the podiatrist... in June. Again, working to NHS time is forcing me to not rush things. Which can only be good. Meanwhile I'm now doing fully concentric strengthening (raising as well as lowering on the dodgy peg) and definitely feeling some progress. So I'm confident I'll be running in some capacity again, some time later this year. Whether continuing with marathons (or any hard running) will be a good idea remains to be seen. Perhaps the thing I should be focusing on now is restoring some kind of cardio fitness over the next few months.

Meanwhile I've just entered the VLM15 ballot, just in case.