Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
05-01-2014, 08:23 PM,
Happy New Year one and all!

I fear that a single thread will cover this year for me. Christmas has come and gone, and the Achilles hasn't improved. With the chaos of the season, I haven't actually done anything proactive about it, but I'd hoped that a few weeks' rest would at least improve it. But it's still sore and stiff even after just a walk, and so I'm thinking there's probably some long-term damage such as a tear there.

So this week I'll try and get a doctor's appointment to see if the professionals have anything to say. Then I need to send the reluctant email to pull out of the Brighton mara. Sad

Thinking positive: this might be the year I form some non-running exercise habits.
05-01-2014, 08:32 PM,
RE:
Sorry to hear that, Dan. A few of us are carrying greater or lesser ailments, limping into the new year, faces flecked with muddy frustration. I fear my own troubles are age-related. I may just need to start managing my expectations.
05-01-2014, 09:02 PM,
RE:
I'm sorry, Dan. It's a pity to get injured, especially when you've planned a race. Perhaps swimming will do you good to be fit so that you can go on running when you get better.

Best of luck!

All the best for the new year!

05-01-2014, 09:52 PM,
RE: 2014
(05-01-2014, 09:02 PM)Antonio247 Wrote: I'm sorry, Dan. It's a pity to get injured, especially when you've planned a race. Perhaps swimming will do you good to be fit so that you can go on running when you get better.

Best of luck!

All the best for the new year!

Thanks guys. Yes, I think swimming will be on the agenda. Maybe I'll even improve my technique this year!
06-01-2014, 09:50 PM,
RE:
That's bad luck Dan. My achilles has been "tender" for most of this year. I'd been running in a pair of Inovs which are a bit on the minimalist side. They were great and I could descend like a madman but the achilles suffered, especially on the long routes. I've also got a pair of Mizuno Ascends which are trail running shoes with more cushioning. Whenever my achilles hurts too much I switch to the Ascends. You run more from heel to toe and this takes the pressure off the achilles. Usually end up twisting my ankle on the descents at some point because cushioned shoes are less stable. Takes my mind off the achillies though. Happened to me today ...ouch!

Not very useful advice I know ....injure something else and you'll probably forget about it!
Best wishes for 2014 and I hope you solve the problem.
07-01-2014, 07:13 AM,
RE:
That's a real shame Dan, I hope the doctor (I nearly said 'the Oracle') has good news for you.

Keep us informed!
Run. Just run.
10-01-2014, 11:51 AM,
RE:
Doc had relatively good news, in that she prescribed physio rather than anything more invasive. So I now enter the vagaries of the NHS outpatients system. Apparently the currently waiting list is only a couple of weeks, which is better than I hoped for.

It's tempting to think that if I went private this could all be sorted out quickly, but I think we know that this is going to take time to treat, so a few weeks extra won't really matter. Certainly there's no hope of rehabilitating in time for the marathon, so that one will have to be chalked down to experience (and a promise to fundraise for Scope at the third attempt next year).

Meanwhile, since the Doc didn't ring any alarm bells, I should be able to try some cycling to keep my aerobic level up.
10-01-2014, 05:06 PM,
RE:
Good news, sort of. Fingers crossed it's just a matter of physio and rest
10-01-2014, 08:31 PM,
RE:
Are you still swimming?
Run. Just run.
10-01-2014, 09:18 PM,
(10-01-2014, 08:31 PM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: Are you still swimming?

Not at the moment, no. I still feel my technique isn't actually good enough to give me a good cardio workout. However, the reason I'm not doing it is just that I haven't made time.

It would probably make sense to do one session of swimming a week, plus a couple of cycling (if that doesn't hurt the offendin' tendon).

Hey, I'm back to triathlon training before I know it. Smile

Basically, I know that it's good for me (physically and mentally) to have three good workouts per week. Normally they're all running. This is an opportunity, perhaps for 6 months or so, to try out all sorts of different workouts. So hopefully some good will come of it.
10-01-2014, 10:41 PM,
A nice article that I think everyone here can relate to.

"As he gears up for his fourth Edinburgh marathon, one runner explains why his running is more than just a hobby – it's what keeps him sane."
30-01-2014, 11:22 AM,
Went for an assessment this morning with the genial and knowledgeable Rob, who diagnosed Achilles tendinopathy rather than a tear. Apparently 95% of cases are solved by 12 weeks of eccentric stretching (which I posted a video about a couple of months ago). So I have a plan, which puts me right back in my comfort zone.

Meanwhile, time to hit the bike and pool (not together). I could also really do with some way of motivating myself to do some core strength work - any suggestions? Maybe I should have another go at the 100 pushups challenge, or a plank challenge. It may be fortuitous timing that we're about to enter a new month - and one that only has 28 days...
30-01-2014, 01:16 PM,
(30-01-2014, 11:22 AM)marathondan Wrote: I could also really do with some way of motivating myself to do some core strength work - any suggestions?

Give sacks of coal a wide berth whatever you do.
30-01-2014, 02:06 PM,
(30-01-2014, 01:16 PM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote: Give sacks of coal a wide berth whatever you do.

Not suitable for miners?
10-02-2014, 09:00 PM,
RE:
So here's what I've been up to. 2 x 3 x 15 of each of the exercises below, every day. The difference between the two is what makes this exercise programme a rollercoaster of excitement.

It seems to be one of those exercises where no-one quite knows why it works. But I'm hopeful. There's a delightfully wordy paper here which openly states "We cannot explain why tendon thickness decreased and tendon structure was normalised in most of the successfully treated patients. Furthermore, we do not know at what point during or after treatment this positive effect occurred."

Also, to fill in the gaps between the sets, I'm doing a small pressup challenge and plank challenge. I figure that while I'm forcing myself to do these stretches every day, I might as well harness the self-discipline and do a little bit of core work as well.

No cardio work. Using up all my motivation points on the exercises.

Week 1:
Eccentric heel drops: 1,260
Pressups: 59 (yes that's in a week, not very impressive)
Planking: 15 mins (ditto)

18-02-2014, 12:31 PM,
RE:
Another week of stretching done. I was amazed to find that after a week, most of the stiffness disappeared, almost overnight. No more hobbling for a couple of minutes after being seated for any length of time. But it's still sore to the touch, very much still injured. The stretches aren't hurting as much as they should, so in line with the advice, I've started doing them wearing a 20kg pack.

Core work has fallen by the wayside due to work pressures. Sounds like an excuse to me.
18-02-2014, 01:43 PM,
RE:
Have you considered taking to the wine and cheese and becoming a fat slob like some others of us here on RC?
Run. Just run.
18-02-2014, 11:08 PM,
RE:
Well of course that's another way to add 20kg to the stretches...

I can confirm I've consumed both wine and cheese this evening. It probably occurs more frequently than my core exercises...
19-02-2014, 10:02 AM,
RE:
20kg that sounds like a lot of weight for your achilles. It was the 40kg sacks which did my back in! Careful with the wacky experiments! (Like the videos though, I'll have a go when I find a suitable step to hang from...)
21-02-2014, 12:52 PM,
RE:
No wine or cheese here. I must be pregnant.