Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
January 2013
26-04-2013, 12:46 PM,
RE: January 2013
Good man. 'Enjoy the outing' is a great way to approach the day.
After that, who knows what will unravel?

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

26-04-2013, 12:57 PM,
Cheers Sweder. I can't race it this year. That would lead to disaster.

I just need to enjoy being part of a very special race. And keep myself safe. Fingers crossed there's no snow.
26-04-2013, 10:51 PM,
Yes best of luck G'man ... here's hoping for good weather. Have fun!
Run. Just run.
30-04-2013, 10:57 AM,
Luckily, this fell into my in-box the day before the race:

http://www.irunfar.com/2013/04/holding-b...raint.html

'Learn how to run a race as a training run'.

Thank the Lord I read this and decided to undercook things in the hope of finishing with some dignity on my first 3 Peaks. Because I wasn't in a great place physically or mentally on race day. Otherwise this race would have destroyed me. It is a 3 headed beast. But an amazing event. And I'll be back next year if I can. I was never that aerobically challenged but my legs were completely battered. People take years to get this race right and post a time they are happy with. So I feel very pleased with my strategy of actually enjoying the race whilst putting down a modest marker. This kind of self-control is something I really need to do more often.

Although perhaps it's human nature never to be happy with our performance. As we scrambled up the finally few meters of Wernside somebody said to me: "We're never happy with our fitness are we? No matter what we do." Made me chuckle.

Finish:
http://www.sportsunday.co.uk/3ps-fin1371

Race Report:
http://www.mudsweatandtears.co.uk/2013/0...-scotland/
30-04-2013, 12:05 PM,
Good on you, G-man. A terrific event to be a part of, and one I'd be keen on having a look at once I've honed my fell skills.

The advice in that article mirrors my own approach to the Connemarathon. There was no way I was fit enough to race it, so I figured out how long I had to complete the course and set my sails accordingly. It still beat me up, but nowhere near as badly as it would have had I gone after a time.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

30-04-2013, 12:24 PM,
(30-04-2013, 10:57 AM)glaconman Wrote: ...People take years to get this race right and post a time they are happy with. So I feel very pleased with my strategy of actually enjoying the race whilst putting down a modest marker.

I can well imagine it must take ages to get a handle on that race. You definitely had the right idea going out to enjoy it and simply finish the thing. Next year you'll have a better idea of how to tackle it and maybe the year after set a target time?

Great work!
Run. Just run.
30-04-2013, 09:37 PM,
Thanks Guys.

Sweder, you would love this race. Did I mention the beer and hog roast in the marquee afterwards?

The gradients were definitely something that caused people problems with lots of folk cramping up on the way around. There was a hail storm on top of the first peak then sun on the next. It was the descents I found hard; very steep and rocky.

I've mentioned feeling ambivalent about these hills in the past because I walked them alot when I was younger. But on race day it just turned into this monumental, epic landscape. Partly because I hadn't set foot on one for 10 years but mainly because of the anticipation of the task ahead.

I just can't wait for next year.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  June 2013 glaconman 5 3,199 11-06-2013, 09:42 AM
Last Post: glaconman
  January glaconman 6 2,701 01-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Sweder