Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jumpin' Januarys ... it's 2013 already!
24-01-2013, 10:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-01-2013, 11:54 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
RE: Jumpin' Januarys ... it's 2013 already!
Thank you, gentlemen. I am indeed somewhat better already, so all is well in that department.

Today's run was a return to the treadmill for my speeed session. I upped the stakes a little this time, opting for 10x800m sprints at 4:53/km pace. Hard going, especially in humid conditions again, but I got through the workout feeling good, and with long warm-up and cool-down sections covered a respectable distance, which was necessary, as with only three runs possible this week covering the requisite 50km requires longer runs.

Only real problem I had was with chaffing - you think I'd have learned by now that humidity + cheap non-wicking running shorts + excessive sweat = bad chaffing. I've been rubbed raw in heinous places and may have to resort to some careful bandaging for my long run on Saturday. Sad

17.13km 1h39m

YTD: 153.8km

TdJ

Run. Just run.
26-01-2013, 04:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 26-01-2013, 04:39 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Canberra Marathon Training - Week 5 of 16
I awoke with a start. For once the alarm was, well, alarming. Why was it even set? Surely I didn’t have to work today? And Sweet Jesus, the room was gently spinning. Had I been drinking? Oh, well yes… of course. I clicked off the alarm and placed a foot on the floor to stop the room revolving and slowly the fog began to clear. And Good God – in what was rapidly becoming a very blasphemous morning I realised Mrs MLCM was not in bed. Oh wait, now things were coming together – she had gone to the gym early. And that meant that today was Saturday and … oh hell … I have a long run scheduled. Twenty-four head pounding kilometres, as it happens. Shit.

I found a bottle of water by the bed and glugged it down. If I was going to run anywhere I’d be needing some serious rehydration. Rather reluctantly I got out of bed and began to assess things. I was hung-over, but not too bad. Last night’s soiree included rather fine wines, so I was dehydrated and a little unsteady, but not suffering the head-hammering effects of cheap booze.

The plan had been to run my usual 18km route through Lane Cove National Park and add another 6km along the highway at the end, however the lateness of the hour and the warm, humid conditions suggested a gentle treadmill run might be a wiser option. I dutifully trotted about filling water bottles, finding my brand new box of Tri-Berry Gu gels and finding a dressing for my still badly-chaffed thighs. I placed a large fan in front of the treadie, set it to ‘high’, plugged my earphones into my three-hour selection of definitive running songs and hit ‘Start’.

I’ve always said that running with a hang-over is no bad thing, as you quickly sweat out the worst effects of it, and as long as you drink plenty of water you very soon begin to feel fantastic. It’s almost cheating, it works so well. True to form, after about 30 minutes I was feeling very good and settled into a good rhythm and plodded along at a respectable pace, intent on completing the task at hand and reaching my goal of 50km for the week. To do so, at this pace I had to run for a solid two-and-a-half hours, longer than I’ve run since the Sydney marathon last September. However I was confident of finishing and so bopped along happily to my grab-bag of musical allsorts.

Erm, well, that’s pretty much it. There’s not a great deal to write about really – the run did get hard in the last half hour, but by then I’d ramped up the pace to possibly a little faster than was necessarily wise on such a humid day, but I got there. The job was done and I felt both smug at a job well done and justified in not attempting to run outdoors, as it was by then quite hot and far too muggy to contemplate a hard run outside.

Of course training for an April marathon was always going to be hard – sticking to a tough marathon schedule during the heat of an Aussie summer is a big ask, particularly when you sleep in and have to run in the heat of the day. It does however make getting up early in the morning rather easier than in the grips of winter, so swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Despite using a fan, I stepped off the treadmill completely drenched in sweat. Wet running shorts always equate to chaffing in my experience, and this was no exception. Although my dressing of the previous run’s chaffing worked well, I of course just ended up with chaffing in other regions. But then, if chaffing is the worst ‘injury’ I suffer, I’m happy to deal with it. And it must be said that so far, apart from occasional sore knees and a tight left hammie, I’m feeling good and injury-free.

And that completes week 5 of my 16 week training schedule. Just eleven more to go. These long runs are starting to get seriously long however. Marathon training really can be rather tedious, but I’m still focussed and keen and desperate for a good showing in Canberra.

Bring it on!

24.41km, 2h33m

YTD: 178.2km
Run. Just run.
29-01-2013, 10:42 PM,
I was going to post a snarky remark about treadmills but on reflection, considering my propensity to wilt when the dial sneaks past 20-odd degrees, thought better of it.
Nice work!

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

29-01-2013, 11:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 29-01-2013, 11:35 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Yes well, the treadmill has certainly made the difference between completing my training or else letting it slide, which would have been all too easy on some of these days. Intense heat gave way to torrential, tropical, flooding rains. We escaped the worst of it, but some areas to the north of us had 400mm of rain in 24 hours and there has been much property loss and four deaths.

Anyway two non-descript but honest, workman-like runs to round out the month, which has been a good one, with over 200km completed now. To be honest, this is a tough part of the training programme I reckon, as the mileage has increased to the point of relentless tedium, but the race is still ten weeks away, so a long way to go and not much motivation. Then again I always knew it would be like this, and I am feeling pretty damn fit and healthy, so it's not all bad.

Catch you in Fabulous February. Smile

12.10km, 1h15m
17.15km, 1h39m

YTD: 207.4km
Run. Just run.
30-01-2013, 07:22 AM,
That's tremendous work MLCM - 2.5 hours on a hangover and with chafing so bad it requires a dressing... ew. Is an underwear review in order? Is that a suitable subject for a public forum?

But very, very well done on the hangover recovery. Lesser mortals would have postponed that run.

I've never tried an Autumn marathon, for the weather reasons that you cite - and our summers are much more reasonable than yours.

And over 200k at this stage is a great total. A quick check of the archives shows that in a marathon year, I normally do about 100-140k in January. Mid Life Consistency Man!
30-01-2013, 10:49 AM,
Yes, a monthly total that shines bright here in the wintry darkness.
Superb accumulation & inspiration. Come on legs ...

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

30-01-2013, 12:50 PM,
(30-01-2013, 07:22 AM)marathondan Wrote: That's tremendous work MLCM - 2.5 hours on a hangover and with chafing so bad it requires a dressing... ew. Is an underwear review in order? Is that a suitable subject for a public forum?

Yes. No.

Actually, the issue here is running in hot, humid conditions ... some very expensive uber-technical-shorts might do the job, but there's too much of the Jew/Scot in me to spend such amounts on mere articles of clothing.

And so I suffer.

But I love it.

[snigger]

What?

Oh.
Run. Just run.
30-01-2013, 12:52 PM,
(30-01-2013, 10:49 AM)Sweder Wrote: Yes, a monthly total that shines bright here in the wintry darkness.
Superb accumulation & inspiration. Come on legs ...

I kenna do it without Islay malt, Capt'n.
Run. Just run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jumpin' Januaries! Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 23 9,918 01-02-2017, 10:09 PM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  2013 Point To Pinnacle Race Report Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 16 6,957 02-12-2013, 09:46 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  September 2013 - The Fear Mounts Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 23 11,319 01-10-2013, 10:19 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Jumpin' Januaries, Batman! Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 55 35,640 01-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Jumpin' Januaries, Batman Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 32 14,279 07-02-2007, 02:41 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man