Scott Jurek follows the Running Commentary Way
10-10-2012, 08:06 AM,
Scott Jurek follows the Running Commentary Way
See here. (Hat tip: Lazy Girl)

"During my 17 years of ultramarathon racing, taking post-season time off is a big reason why I’ve remained so consistent year after year."

"even elite Kenyans lie on the couch at the end of their seasons. Many of them don’t run a single step, sometimes for as long as two months"

"Nixon Kiprotich, 800-meter Olympic silver medalist, described the importance of the break as an “opportunity to relax, put on a few pounds"

"Not only do the Kenyans advocate taking time off, but they also believe in restocking fat stores during this time. While I usually put on a few pounds during my breaks, I never worry about it. "

"Eat well and don’t be afraid to put on a few pounds."

It seems we're all a bit wiser around here than we give ourselves credit for.
10-10-2012, 01:08 PM,
RE: Scott Jurek follows the Running Commentary Way
Hoorah! Such cheery news as I slurp down my lunchtime bowl of beetroot soup and chopped dill. I wish I were joking.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

13-10-2012, 07:34 PM,
I've been following the blog of this blind runner for a while. The post to which I've linked there just gave me a little jolt as to how we take for granted that we can go out and train: "Now I do usually run into objects that are placed on my route, there is nothing I can do about this I accept the fact I may run into the odd street cones, roadkill or man at work sign. " I feel I need add nothing to the quote...
13-10-2012, 08:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 13-10-2012, 08:29 PM by El Gordo.)
(13-10-2012, 07:34 PM)marathondan Wrote: I've been following the blog of this blind runner for a while. The post to which I've linked there just gave me a little jolt as to how we take for granted that we can go out and train: "Now I do usually run into objects that are placed on my route, there is nothing I can do about this I accept the fact I may run into the odd street cones, roadkill or man at work sign. " I feel I need add nothing to the quote...

Ah yes, that brings back memories of the remarkable Paula. No, not that one. This one --
http://runningcommentary.net/?p=1002464

And thanks for the excuse to dig out an old race report.

But yes, she was remarkable. When she returned to coach after the race, her arms were badly grazed. "Bloody speed bumps. Went over twice," she explained. She still ran her 1:40 half marathon though, if I remember right.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
13-10-2012, 09:42 PM,
It's nice to have that sort of nostalgia bank on tap - 7 years ago... happy days for your good self, running-wise.

Paula - yes, remarkable. I wonder if she spent most of the 1:40 calling out "blind runner coming through!" (which I have heard in races) or did she just dodge the shadows and apologise afterwards?
14-10-2012, 12:07 PM,
Reminds me of a story my Dad used to tell - he was marine surveyor, and did the mandatory annual inspections on fishing boats in our borough required for the renewal of their fishing permit. On visiting one fishing boat he couldn't find the owner, who had promised he would be on board at the allotted time. He eventually found him in the engine room, alone and in complete darkness, disassembling the engine for its regular overhaul. A blind fisherman/boat owner/mechanic. It's remarkable what sight-challenged people can do.
Run. Just run.
14-10-2012, 01:23 PM,
(14-10-2012, 12:07 PM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: Reminds me of a story my Dad used to tell - he was marine surveyor, and did the mandatory annual inspections on fishing boats in our borough required for the renewal of their fishing permit. On visiting one fishing boat he couldn't find the owner, who had promised he would be on board at the allotted time. He eventually found him in the engine room, alone and in complete darkness, disassembling the engine for its regular overhaul. A blind fisherman/boat owner/mechanic. It's remarkable what sight-challenged people can do.

And THAT story led me to recall this one -- http://runningcommentary.net/?p=1005942
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 hour radio celebration of marathon running today El Gordo 9 22,701 18-11-2017, 02:08 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
Thumbs Up Running and the mind Seanmacrook 3 3,784 04-06-2014, 08:03 PM
Last Post: Seanmacrook
  Running documentary (young fit and dying) Seanmacrook 5 6,680 07-05-2014, 08:29 AM
  Running Shoes in the Washing Machine Seafront Plodder 15 9,844 13-04-2014, 07:33 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  Pythonesque running. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 3 11,563 27-10-2011, 09:35 PM
  Sad story about fell running old-timer El Gordo 1 9,676 09-10-2011, 07:57 PM
  Magnificent article on barefoot running. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 7 13,729 07-10-2011, 09:43 AM
  Help ! Running clubs in the Vera, Huercal, Garrucha Mojacar area PhilD 1 13,284 28-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  On the dangers of running The Beast of Bevendean 2 12,309 25-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Aldi running gear - Thurs 15 October El Gordo 6 9,182 06-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Last Post: El Gordo