Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A streak runner?
24-09-2012, 08:12 PM,
A streak runner?
When on Tuesday 11th September I started going for a run alter fifteen days without going for a run and very few runs in the summer, I didn’t think I could go for a run two consecutive days but, oddly enough, I’ve managed to go out for fourteen days feeling great. I decided to do at least twenty minutes each day and I’m feeling great. Some days, I went for a swim after the run with my friend Antonio G. or even on my own. It is a wonderful way to do some stretching. Most days I’ve just done five or six kilometres. One day I just did 3 kilometres nut another day I did 11 kilometres with my friend Rafael. I even took part in a 10 km race last Saturday. It was the Marca running series in Almería. I did the 10 km race. Its course is near the Mediterranean games stadium. We had to do two laps. I managed to do the first two kilometres at a 5´50´´ pace but I had to slow down finishing the 10 km in 61 minutes but having good sensations. Today, I did 7 hilly kilometres in the outskirts of Almería with Rafael and afterwards we went to his house where we did some workouts in his garage where he has some gym pieces of apparatus. I’d love to be able to be a streak running until Almería half marathon next January.

I’ve noticed that I need to do more workouts regularly and lose some weight if I really want to reach my under two hour objective at Almería half marathon. In fourteen days I’ve done 87 kms. It’s an average of 43.5 km every week. If I manage to increase a few kilometres each weak and I reach 50-60 kms a week in one month, do some speed running and I’m lucky with injuries, I think I could succeed in my aim.

24-09-2012, 08:53 PM,
RE: A streak runner?
Short runs every day with a few long ones is an interesting approach. Some people even just run 1 mile every day. If you can get into a routine, it's probably great. It would be amazing if you can keep a streak going till Almeria half - only 120 or so days to go?!
24-09-2012, 11:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-09-2012, 11:03 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
That's fantastic Antonio! Keep that up and sub-2 hours for Almeria and sub-80kgs isn't far away! Congratulations!
Run. Just run.
25-09-2012, 07:54 PM,
Muchas gracias, amigos.

This morning I went for a run at 7:30 am. I went along Ciudad Jardín towards the Mediterranean games stadium to go down to the sea front and get to the splanade opposite my flat. I did around 8 km in 56 minutes. After that, I did some stretching. The temperature at 8 am was 18º Celsius and it was sunny.

15th day - 8 km

Streak running – 95 km in 15 days.

26-09-2012, 08:55 PM,
Good stuff, Antonio. Not something I ever managed, or tried, to keep going for more than 8 days.

I came across something recently about an American guy [hold on, off to Google....] called Mark Covert who has been for a run every day for... 44 years.

And if you think that's amazing, wait till you hear about Ron Hill, the great British runner who once won the Boston Marathon. He's run every day since.... 1964, or 4 years longer than that slacker mentioned above.

So now you know what your target is.

Smile
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
27-09-2012, 08:08 AM,
(26-09-2012, 08:55 PM)El Gordo Wrote: And if you think that's amazing, wait till you hear about Ron Hill, the great British runner who once won the Boston Marathon. He's run every day since.... 1964, or 4 years longer than that slacker mentioned above.

Including with a broken foot, I believe. (MCLMM, don't read that.)
27-09-2012, 09:25 AM,
Fascinating, Antonio. I'm on a similar kick, albeit with occasional rest days thrown in. I've probably banked similar mileage over the same period. It does feel good to get out, even if only for 20 minutes. Keep it up, and don't beat yourself up if you do miss a day here or there. The overall effect will be the same. The challenge, for me at least, is knowing when to start throwing in longer runs. I'm hoping my body will tell me.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

27-09-2012, 05:58 PM,
Muchas gracias, amigos.

EG, I'd be very glad if I managed to go for a run for 139, that is, until Almería half marathon. However, if I couldn't but it didn`t mean an injury or illness that prevented me from doing the race, I'd also be glad. Actually,I'd like to fo for a run every day as long as I`m enjoying it.

I'm glad we're on the same kick, S. I'm not too worried about the long runs, They will tell me when I'm ready for them. I'm more worried about losing five or six kilos. That would be wonderful-

Yesterday I did 7 km early in the morning with some hills since I went up Avenida del Mediterráneo further Hotel Tryp Indalo and back. This afternoon I went with Rafael. We did around 10 km near the Mediterranean games stadium.

16th day 7 km
17th day 10 km

Streak running 112 km in 17 days.

Saludos desde Almería.

27-09-2012, 09:25 PM,
Antonio, this thread reminded me of something...

Blimey, this makes Benny Hill look good. In my defence it was Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man who introduced me to Ray Stevens...Blush
28-09-2012, 12:02 AM,
(27-09-2012, 09:25 PM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote: Blimey, this makes Benny Hill look good. In my defence it was Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man who introduced me to Ray Stevens...Blush

I'm sorry about that, but that doesn't mean you need to go imposing him on everyone else!

Run. Just run.
28-09-2012, 12:16 AM,
That's funny.
Made me think of Erica Roe.

28-09-2012, 12:20 AM,
(28-09-2012, 12:16 AM)Sweder Wrote: Made me think of Erica Roe.

That's not unusual.
Run. Just run.
28-09-2012, 09:02 PM,
I must admit I had no idea about the other nuance of “streak”

This morning I did six kilometres along Avenida del Mediterráneo and the sea front. At the sea front two girls overtook me. Then, I tried to keep their pace which made me go a bit faster. Fortunaltely, it was the last part, just 2.2 km which is the length of the sea front.

18th day - 6 km

Streak running 118 km in 18 days.

28-09-2012, 09:25 PM,
(28-09-2012, 09:02 PM)anlu247 Wrote: I must admit I had no idea about the other nuance of “streak”

This morning I did six kilometres along Avenida del Mediterráneo and the sea front. At the sea front two girls overtook me. Then, I tried to keep their pace which made me go a bit faster. Fortunaltely, it was the last part, just 2.2 km which is the length of the sea front.

18th day - 6 km

Streak running 118 km in 18 days.

18 days? You're making me nervous, Antonio...
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
29-09-2012, 08:43 PM,
I think that running every day is like a drug, EG. You need it more and more. Fortunately, this is a positive drug. Sometimes, you go for a run not feeling very well and telling yourself, I’ll do just four or five kilometres but you end doing seven or eight because you feel much better than you though once you have done fifteen or twenty minutes. Besides, if you go with someone who goes at a similar pace so that you can talk it is more interesting. When I go on my own, I take my mobile phone and listen to the radio or music in the Mp3. That way, it is more interesting. Then, as long as I’m lucky with injuries or illness, I’d love to have this routine in my life but not feeling obsessed if I can’t go out one day.

Although yesterday it rained a lot and it caused a lot of damage in the southeast of Spain including some dead people, this afternoon it was sunny. I went along the sea front towards the university doing 9 km in all. On the way back, I met René, a Dutch friend, who used to live here but now he is in Amsterdam. I recognised him and we stopped a few minutes to talk a little.

19th day – 9 km.

Streak running 127 km in 19 days.

29-09-2012, 10:40 PM,
We're getting news reports of flash floods in Almeria, including a number of people killed. I hope all our friends in Andalusia are safe in their homes tonight.

30-09-2012, 08:08 PM,
(29-09-2012, 10:40 PM)Sweder Wrote: We're getting news reports of flash floods in Almeria, including a number of people killed. I hope all our friends in Andalusia are safe in their homes tonight.

It rained a lot in very few hours. Unfortunately, some people were killed in the southeast of Spain. There's a British lady who disappeared in Vera last Friday and hasn' t been found yet. Fortunately, we're all safe at home. Gracias, S.

01-10-2012, 09:16 PM,
On Sunday I did only 5 kilometres. It was a beautiful Indian summer morning. I started at 8:45 am at the esplanade and went along Nicolás Salmerón park to go up as far as the top of the Alcazaba. Then, I went down towards the cathedral and back to the park and the esplanade where I did some stretching.

20th day – 5 km

Streak running 132 km in 20 days.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

01-10-2012, 10:14 PM,
Great photos, Antonio. And a significant achievement, 20 days - keep it up!
04-10-2012, 01:57 AM,
Yes, great work Antonio!
Run. Just run.