Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2013 P2P
18-09-2012, 11:20 PM,
2013 P2P
Moving the P2P thread to here. Thus far we have:

Probables/Definites: MLCMM, Sweder, EG, Antonio
Possibles: Suzieq, MLCM Jr.

The race date is almost certainly Nov 17th.

Flight time ex London is c. 24hrs, and Eastern Australian time at that point is GMT +11 hours, so allow for that in your travel plans.

Accomodation: TBA, but if arriving through Sydney, we have two spare rooms, one with a double bed and one with three singles, and RCers are more than welcome to stay with us before and/or after the race in Hobart.

More news as it comes to foot.

MLCMM.
Run. Just run.
19-09-2012, 12:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 19-09-2012, 12:02 AM by El Gordo.)
RE: 2013 P2P
I hope I don't fall into the usual SP trap:

El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
19-09-2012, 08:36 AM,
(19-09-2012, 12:00 AM)El Gordo Wrote: I hope I don't fall into the usual SP trap:

*chortle* Big Grin

19-09-2012, 10:06 AM,
@MLCMM -- moved the thread to "Race Arrangements". Abuse me offline if need be.
El Gordo

19-09-2012, 11:13 AM,
(19-09-2012, 10:06 AM)El Gordo Wrote: @MLCMM -- moved the thread to "Race Arrangements". Abuse me offline if need be.

Roger. Wilco.
Run. Just run.
19-09-2012, 08:46 PM,
This is shaping up to be epic.
Er, you all read the race reports from last year, right?
Just checking *shakes head slowly*

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

20-09-2012, 04:23 AM,
(19-09-2012, 08:46 PM)Sweder Wrote: This is shaping up to be epic.
Er, you all read the race reports from last year, right?
Just checking *shakes head slowly*

Hey, I'm doing it all again this year as well, and I'm perfectly sane.

Oh, wait...

Run. Just run.
29-04-2013, 03:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 30-04-2013, 12:16 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
World's Toughest Half Marathon
OK people, look sharp.

The date of the Point To Pinnacle race this year is definitely set as Sunday, November 17th. Entries open on 1st August, and it fills very fast, so you need to start thinking about whether or not you are a definite starter.

Other things to think about:

* Training. Yep, you need to train for this monster, and now isn't a bad time to start incorporating some hill work into your regular training.

* Flights and accomodation. You'll need to fly to Hobart via Sydney or Melbourne, and as you may well need a day or three to acclimatise/overcome the jet lag I'd suggest flying into Australia via Sydney, as Mrs MLCMM and I can accomodate you gratis here in Sydney. From here it's an easy domestic flight to Hobart. The last two years we have booked a house in Hobart to accomodate all of us which works out cheaper, roomier and more flexible than hotels.

* Registering. As I said, online entires open on August 1st and fills very quickly, especially as they only take a very limited number of non-Tasmanian entries, so make your decision by then!

* Holidaying whilst here. There is of course an entire country for you to explore whilst here. Remember Australia is a very big country. It takes five hours to fly from one side to the other, or three days by train or four very long days by car. Unless you want to spend all your time (and money) travelling, I suggest you consider what you want to see and do very carefully before arriving! As things stand at the moment, Mrs MLCMM and I can easily accomodate you in Sydney, so feel free to use Sydney as a base for your travels. We'd also be happy to help you explore Tasmania whilst there for the race (highly recommended ... ask Seafront Plodder!).

There's not much to see on the website yet, but the race page is here.

You can also keep an eye on the mountain you have to run up (Mount Wellington) via this really good webcam and check out the view from the top here.

So have a think and reply here to let everyone know you're coming!

This is going to be very, very good.

[Image: P2P_elevation.jpg]
Run. Just run.
30-04-2013, 11:58 AM,
Definitely in, medical miracles notwithstanding (Mum).
Currently trying to persuade my better half to come along. Will start work in Melbourne 29th Nov so planning on hanging around after P2P, mostly in Taz/ Sydney.

30-04-2013, 04:38 PM,
Hurrah!

M and I are definitely going.

Race entry? You may need to remind me nearer the time. Where will you be on August 1st?

My better half has rather extraordinary travel plans which I am hoping she will reconsider.

See you at the start line. I'll be wearing my black RC shirt and yellow Boston cap, so you should recognise me.
El Gordo

30-04-2013, 05:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 30-04-2013, 05:20 PM by Seafront Plodder.)
(30-04-2013, 04:38 PM)El Gordo Wrote: Hurrah!

See you at the start line.

Hmmm...Big Grin
30-04-2013, 05:54 PM,
(30-04-2013, 04:38 PM)El Gordo Wrote: Race entry? You may need to remind me nearer the time. Where will you be on August 1st?

Where will I be?

Um, Swizterland actually.

Horgen, to be precise.

I may see you there...
Run. Just run.
02-05-2013, 08:25 PM,
After weeks of comparing Australian tourist highlights, my wife has finally decided where she needs to go. From Lonely Planet, she sends me this:

At Gelato Messina (www.gelatomessina.com), home-made, all-natural gelatos take the cake – er, cone. That’s not too surprising, considering that this Darlinghurst parlour dedicates an entire team to reconceptualising sweets. The result is a dessert like the Royale w’ Cheese: a frosted ‘cheeseburger’ made of chocolate crackle gelato on a financier bun with white chocolate gelato and apricot gelée, compressed cucumber, a white chocolate slice, and raspberry sauce.

The city’s equivalent of Willy Wonka – pâtissier Adriano Zumbo (adrianozumbo.com) – has also joined the ranks of Sydney’s ice cream obsessives. Whether it’s fresh pineapple and ginger ice cream or ice cream sandwiches coated in popping candy, all of Zumbo’s frozen treats have lashings of creativity.

At least that's settled.
El Gordo

03-05-2013, 01:14 AM,
(02-05-2013, 08:25 PM)El Gordo Wrote: After weeks of comparing Australian tourist highlights, my wife has finally decided where she needs to go. From Lonely Planet, she sends me this:

At Gelato Messina (www.gelatomessina.com), home-made, all-natural gelatos take the cake – er, cone. That’s not too surprising, considering that this Darlinghurst parlour dedicates an entire team to reconceptualising sweets. The result is a dessert like the Royale w’ Cheese: a frosted ‘cheeseburger’ made of chocolate crackle gelato on a financier bun with white chocolate gelato and apricot gelée, compressed cucumber, a white chocolate slice, and raspberry sauce.

The city’s equivalent of Willy Wonka – pâtissier Adriano Zumbo (adrianozumbo.com) – has also joined the ranks of Sydney’s ice cream obsessives. Whether it’s fresh pineapple and ginger ice cream or ice cream sandwiches coated in popping candy, all of Zumbo’s frozen treats have lashings of creativity.

At least that's settled.

Yes, Zumbo's has become bigger than big thanks to Masterchef. You see these all over town. He's quite the star attraction among the women-folk.

Well, that's easily settled then. Now, what would Mr EG like to do/see?
Run. Just run.
03-05-2013, 05:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-05-2013, 05:12 AM by El Gordo.)
(03-05-2013, 01:14 AM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote:
(02-05-2013, 08:25 PM)El Gordo Wrote: After weeks of comparing Australian tourist highlights, my wife has finally decided where she needs to go. From Lonely Planet, she sends me this:

At least that's settled.

Yes, Zumbo's has become bigger than big thanks to Masterchef. You see these all over town. He's quite the star attraction among the women-folk.

Well, that's easily settled then. Now, what would Mr EG like to do/see?

Well, I understand that you chaps are beginning to experiment with winemaking. You are to be commended for taking a swing at this, but I should think you have rather a lot to learn. So I might take the opportunity to slip off to visit a local vigneron or two, and offer a little European advice. I must remember to pack my "I [heart] a smack in the mouth" teeshirt.
El Gordo

03-05-2013, 05:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-05-2013, 05:14 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
(03-05-2013, 05:10 AM)El Gordo Wrote:
Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: Well, that's easily settled then. Now, what would Mr EG like to do/see?

Well, I understand that you chaps are beginning to experiment with winemaking. You are to be commended for taking a swing at this, but I should think you have rather a lot to learn. So I might take the opportunity to slip off to visit a local vigneron or two, and offer a little European advice.

Is not the 'Hobart Muddy' the pinnacle of wine-making already? And what about the 'Chateau Chunder'? I mean, what's there to learn??
Run. Just run.
03-05-2013, 01:39 PM,
Just curious EG - you planning to run P2P or walk it?
My memories of 2011 are still sharp enough that I intend to train for this. Hard.

03-05-2013, 08:06 PM,
(03-05-2013, 01:39 PM)Sweder Wrote: Just curious EG - you planning to run P2P or walk it?
My memories of 2011 are still sharp enough that I intend to train for this. Hard.

The only honest answer is that I don't have any plan for it at this stage.

Without wanting to create any 'limiting beliefs', I'd also have to say that at the moment, unless something dramatic and unexpected happens, running up it seems like an impossible task. But there again, to declare this far out that I plan to walk it, would undermine any effort to get fit enough to do some running.

Both running P2P and getting to the start of the Berlin Marathon seem like rather distant possibilities, but my thought was that if I did actually manage to get into shape for Berlin, I would be more than halfway ready to think about entering P2P as a runner.

So until I learn more about my attitude towards Berlin, I'm not thinking much about P2P.

But I take your point -- and (jokes aside) I've never had any doubts that haring up a 45 degree mountain road for 13 miles would present a 55 year old fat bloke with one or two challenging moments -- and that a little careful preparation would pay dividends in this regard.
El Gordo

16-07-2013, 09:17 PM,
The bush telegraph is humming.....

News reaches me from Venice, where the globe-trotting MLCMM is passing through....

A reminder that P2P entries open on August 1st and will vanish very quickly -- possibly within a day.

So keep those mouse fingers supple, fellow Oz-travellers.
El Gordo

17-07-2013, 09:37 PM,
I have it in my calendar to register on July 31st! I'm dreading the race but sure looking forward to a few pints of Guinness after the race! (if I survive)