Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
September
28-09-2012, 12:00 AM,
RE: September
I've been under 80kgs (and stayed well under) for about 18 months now. What worked for me was to firstly, eat a protein-based breakfast (e.g. eggs and bacon) as I found that kept me satisfied until lunch time, manage my portion size (i.e. don't be a pig) and largely avoid fatty snacks like chips, buns, biscuits, but also don't be a puritan. You gotta eat them sometimes! Plenty of fruit and vegies and not too many carbs (unless carb-loading for a race of course). Two alcohol-free days per week, and go easy on the drinking days, and run reasonably consistently.

But don't underestimate the value of a protein breakfast. Carb-heavy breakfast cereals only made me famished again within two to three hours.

Well, as EG keeps reminding us, we're all different and you need to find what works for you. But it doesn't always have to be drastic. The simple things work best. Eat a little less, do a little more = weight loss and greater fitness. Pretty simple really. You just need to be consistent.

Run. Just run.
28-09-2012, 09:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 28-09-2012, 10:04 AM by Sweder.)
Another five miler, a barefoot effort brought on by 'events'.

Mrs S remarked, with an air of disdain, on how my collection of trail shoes was giving off a rather noxious whiff. Insulted, all the more so as she was absolutely right, I hurled all three pairs into our Hotpoint WT761, hit a number between 3 and 7 and huffed off to work. Some hours later I returned to find a brackish pool spreading from beneath a conspicuously silent machine. Yes, dear reader, I trashed the washing machine. Despite my best efforts late into the night, including frantic online research, the door remains resolutely locked. I can see my runners, piled up in a puddle of filthy suds, a colourful running shoe car crash. An engineer is winging his weary way towards Swederville as we speak. As time and tide, especially a muddy one spreading inexorably across the Utility Room floor, wait for no man, I took off in the Vibrams.

Every cloud, and all that. I'd yet to test my latest Barefoot garments in wet conditions. Peering into the slanting rain I relished the chance. In short, they did OK, managing mud slides and wet grass with aplomb, but were no match for the shiny flint path that my Mizunos gobble up so easily. Seven out of ten, then, my first 'slick' pair being a three, middle hybrids (barely worn, in truth) around a five.

Five soggy miles banked at a reasonable clip. Whilst I'm still unconcerned with pace I must say that a relaxed easy Barefoot run is notably quicker than the same run in trail shoes. A least, my 'resting' pace (when not climbing hills or negotiating slippery slaloms) is around 20 seconds a mile 'less slow'.

Another one planned for tomorrow, then a series of road runs as I'm exiled in Birmingham for the week. After thirty years plus in the trade show business I'm handling my first ever event - Solar Power UK - at the National Exhibition Centre. Strike up the band.

Track du jour: Mr Joe Walsh, Rocky Mountain Way.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

28-09-2012, 12:47 PM,
Will you continue to use the Vibrams through the winter training (surfaces permitting)? Or do you see them more as a fair-weather option only, when both the elements and the mileage are less challenging?
28-09-2012, 02:07 PM,
Good question(s). In short, yes, I plan to run once a week in the Barefoots, possibly no further than five miles. If nothing else this should help maintain better posture and mid-foot striking, although my Mizunos, hopefully rescued by now, have little enough padding on them.

28-09-2012, 07:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 28-09-2012, 07:33 PM by El Gordo.)
(28-09-2012, 02:07 PM)Sweder Wrote: Good question(s). In short, yes, I plan to run once a week in the Barefoots, possibly no further than five miles. If nothing else this should help maintain better posture and mid-foot striking, although my Mizunos, hopefully rescued by now, have little enough padding on them.

Have you put trainers through the washing machine before?

Of course, I have heard of this practice, and I even tried it once with an old pair that had been retired to gardening duties. But a couple of points

-- I was always advised to put them in a pillow case first to avoid the laces getting dragged into the mechanism (sounds like this may have happened here).

-- They should be on a very cool and quick-wash setting.

-- And even with the above, the practice is likely to seriously weaken the rubber compounds and damage the structure of the shoe, so not to do it with real running shoes that you want to use for actual running as it could affect your gait and lead to injury.

I should have included washing machine guidelines to the remit of this website long before now. I apologise.

Edited to add -- but at least you have a great excuse to go out and buy a couple of pairs of brand new runners, y'crafty dog...
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
28-09-2012, 08:28 PM,
Sweder, you might be interested in a site I signed up to the other day - sportpursuit.com. It sells branded sports gear on very short term discounts. I must admit I initially thought it would be of no interest - lots of trendy cycling and skiing gear - but today they have an offer on minimalist running shoes. Various models in the "Vivobarefoot" range around half price, for the next 7 days. You have to sign up to see any offers though.
28-09-2012, 09:25 PM,
My Brooks Adrenalines come with with very stern warning to not put the things in a washing machine. I guess we now know why.
Run. Just run.
28-09-2012, 11:23 PM,
I appreciate the well-meant advice Big Grin
That sound you can hear is horses' hooves over the clatter of a swinging stable door ...

The good news is, the shoes have been liberated by a technician, and appear to be in reasonable shape. They were on a cool wash/ slow spin cycle with minimal soap powder. I'm not too worried about the shoes being wet for so long. They spend a good deal of their time soaked through as it is.

29-09-2012, 10:38 AM,
(28-09-2012, 11:23 PM)Sweder Wrote: I appreciate the well-meant advice Big Grin
That sound you can hear is horses' hooves over the clatter of a swinging stable door ...

The good news is, the shoes have been liberated by a technician, and appear to be in reasonable shape. They were on a cool wash/ slow spin cycle with minimal soap powder. I'm not too worried about the shoes being wet for so long. They spend a good deal of their time soaked through as it is.

You might have got away with it if the water temperature wasn't too hot. If it's too high the glue and rubber compounds can melt. I'd urge caution though just in case there's damage that isn't immediately obvious.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
29-09-2012, 11:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 29-09-2012, 11:31 AM by Sweder.)
On The Road Again
With my Mizunos drying nicely under a surprisingly strong autumn sun I seat sail for my second Barefoot five-miler in a row. What a day to run! A belly full of Fursty Ferret last night, glorious sunshine, a cool yet gentle breeze, underfoot a delicious rain-soaked carpet. These are the salad days of the running year.

I couldn't find my Garmin this morning. After ten minutes of frantic hunting I gave up, remembering how good it can be to run un-tethered. So it proved, a totally relaxed outing, taking in the sweeping Sussex vistas, breathing easy, feeling the fitness creeping back into my legs. Sadly I embark for Birmingham soon, a week in the Second City where opportunities to run will be limited to concrete and asphalt. So be it. I'm back on the road, and it feels good.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  September Sweder 8 2,281 13-10-2017, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  September 2016 Sweder 8 4,266 27-09-2016, 12:25 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  September 2013 Sweder 21 11,941 01-10-2013, 10:07 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  September 2011 Sweder 17 14,144 03-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Last Post: glaconman
  September 2010 Sweder 23 24,323 28-09-2010, 08:26 AM