Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robust August
28-08-2012, 11:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 28-08-2012, 11:07 AM by Sweder.)
RE: Robust August
The best laid plans ... or not. More like the curse of the working classes.
All too familiar mate. Missing three long runs in March cost me dear in the Brighton marathon this year. You're right to focus on getting the long ones done, just don't get too hung up on running the four hours. I don't know too many who've done that in training for a 26.2; 3, 3.30 seems plenty long enough to get into 'wall' territory.

Besides, as you point out yourself, running whilst knackered is like running the last hour or so of a long run. I reckon you'll have got more out of that than you might think.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

28-08-2012, 12:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 29-08-2012, 01:19 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Channeling Newt
(28-08-2012, 11:02 AM)Sweder Wrote: The best laid plans ... or not. More like the curse of the working classes.
All too familiar mate. Missing three long runs in March cost me dear in the Brighton marathon this year. You're right to focus on getting the long ones done, just don't get too hung up on running the four hours. I don't know too many who've done that in training for a 26.2; 3, 3.30 seems plenty long enough to get into 'wall' territory.

Besides, as you point out yourself, running whilst knackered is like running the last hour or so of a long run. I reckon you'll have got more out of that than you might think.

Thanks mate - after a hellish week I needed that. W*rk went into overdrive shortly after my last post, so running has become simultaneously the most important, and yet the hardest work/life asset to embrace of late.

Stay tuned... I'm still optimistic ... but it'll be dark soon, and they mostly come at night ... mostly.

Run. Just run.
30-08-2012, 04:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 30-08-2012, 06:14 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
OK today with just over two weeks to race day I finally cracked this long run that's been bugging me for the last week or two. I've been plagued for the last few days with pains in my right hamstring, left shin and various bits and pieces but they didn't seem to get any better, quite the opposite in fact.

This led me to the awful conclusion that it was all in my mind, so I bit the bullet this morning and just ploughed ahead with my four-hour run despite protestation and a somewhat fierce presentation from the Amalgamated Union of Ligaments and Joints, Inc. After half an hour however, the pain subsided and for a time it actually became enjoyable.

Well, when I say "enjoyable" I speak in relative terms. In fact four hours on a treadmill is nothing but a long, sustained and infuriatingly tedious conversation with yourself. But in these undulating parts of Sydney it's the only way of simulating race day conditions - to a certain extent anyhow. So, treadmill it was.

Finally, after nine years or so of off-again on-again running (some of the off times being my fault, but also large slabs of circumstance that certainly didn't help matters), I'm at the doorstep of my maiden marathon and I suspect nine years of doubt and uncertainty had manifested itself in psychosomatic symptoms, hence the lack of response to rest and treatment. Then again, the run was harder than it ought to have been, and I suspect at least in part this was due to a reduced immune system, thanks to workmates being sick and myself having to work long hours of overtime to cover their absence.

Still, I was determined to tough it out, mainly because there was no choice - no long run today would have made race day interminably uncertain, if only mentally, and we know how important the mental side of long distance running is.

In truth, it went well until 29 kilometres in and then started to get tough. The "moments" of wanting to stop started to string together, and the last five kilometres, it must be said, were fairly punishing.

But it's done.

Thank Christ.

Now a two-week taper to race day. That won't be hard - most of that will be taken up with a hectic work schedule. Hmmmph. Life. It's just one damned thing after another.

But I wouldn't have it any other way. Dodgy

Today's run also notched up 1,000km for the year, a kilometre-stone I have never reached this early in the calendar - not by a long way. Smile

Track du jour: Huge in their homeland of Canada, and worthy of attention elsewhere, I've only just become aware of this band, and their catalogue is great - many, many great running songs, but this is one of the best and not just because the video features a lot of running by the band around New York City (the lead singer even fore-foot strikes!):

35.89km, 4hours

YTD: 1,028.5km
Run. Just run.
30-08-2012, 08:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 30-08-2012, 08:25 AM by Sweder.)
Woot! Good man. But, Christ, FOUR HOURS ON A TREADMILL.
Let's just pause to reflect on that.
Four.
FOUR.
Four HOURS.
FOUR Hours.
FOUR HOURS ON A TREADMILL.

Dude, you are one special individual.
I managed 35 minutes on the Sweatbox Gym Treadmill last night. By the time I'd finished, my shirt was translucent, I'd flooded the tready, my knees were weak and my will to live was off down the Jaffe Road, headed for the Wanch Pub.
I remove my headgear in your general direction.
Nutter.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

30-08-2012, 09:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 30-08-2012, 09:10 AM by Seafront Plodder.)
By Christ Man!!

If you can suffer four hours on a treddy, a marathon'll be a walk in the park.

Despite my lack of posts here I am following your progress with close interest, and have no doubt that you have the fitness and will to get the job done.

Enjoy the taper, which incidentally is the time when all the injuries come out to play. Sad
03-09-2012, 08:53 PM,
Best of luck with your training for the marathon, MLCM! I'm sure you'll be able to do a fantastic race. Anyway, you'll get a PB.

Saludos desde Almería.

04-09-2012, 06:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-09-2012, 06:18 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Thank you gentlemen (and Sweder) for the comments - much appreciated ... muchas gracias.

Another fine run this morning - over 15km at a fair clip felt wonderfully easy, and my heart rate stayed a steady 130 the whole way.

Feeling good and enjoying the taper.

[Image: No%201%20regret.jpg]

15.45km 1h39m

YTD 1044.0 km

Run. Just run.
05-09-2012, 09:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-09-2012, 09:22 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
10 Days To Go
It's the fifth day of spring and we've moved from scarves and beanies to bushfires and warm, muggy nights in the blink of an eye. I was up before 4 this morning for my first Pacific Highway out-and-back 10km plod of the new season ... to find it was a warm 19C!

The run went OK - but to be honest I didn't feel on top of my game, but then who does in the middle of the night? The highlight for me was coming across the big traffic sign at the 4.5km point at Roseville. The sign said simply 'Sydney Marathon - 10 days To Go', the implication for motorists being of course that the freeway into the city and across the Sydney Harbour Bridge will be closed to traffic on that day. But at a little after 4 in the morning and being worded the way it was, it seemed as if the sign was there specifically for me... as if I needed a reminder. Dodgy

Anyway, the run seemed slow and difficult, but I got home in 57:22, which was a reasonable time, so I'm happy with that.

Later, after catching the train to the city I was walking through Darling Harbour on my way to work, and there were hoardes of runners making the most of the dawn warmth of an early summer. Feeling full of a righteous endorphin-fuelled buzz I wanted to smugly tell each one of them that I'd already done my run today, but of course I didn't. Maybe I'm getting old. Another sign of the ageing process - I caught myself noticing that whenever a pretty girl ran past I tended to notice her footstrike and running shoes before noticing ... anything else.

I really need to get out more I think. Huh

So, up at 3:50 a.m., run 10km, get changed for work and catch 5:35 to city, walk 2.5km through Darling Harbour to start work at 6:40 a.m. for a 12 hour, 40 minute shift. A day in the life of Mid Life Crisis Man. Gad, and to think other blokes buy Ferraris.

Umm...

10km 57:22
YTD 1054.0km

Run. Just run.
06-09-2012, 09:10 AM,
Excellent stuff all round, and a truly epic effort to be up so early - although I know you're used to keeping unsociable hours. Great training pace too. The sign was a nice moment - I wonder if it will still be there next time, or maybe it did just appear by magic for your benefit?

Keep on taperin'. You've built the battery capacity over months and months, now let the charge slooowly seep in and you'll be 100% on race day.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  August. Nothing quite rhymes with 'August'. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 2 952 15-08-2018, 10:37 AM
Last Post: marathondan
  Gut bust August. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 3 1,539 18-08-2016, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Nothing august in August here. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 9 4,836 22-08-2014, 07:19 AM
  Training's fust in August. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 22 12,490 29-08-2013, 05:18 AM
  Eat My Dust August Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 30 20,275 30-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  Run? Must in August. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 12 7,977 31-08-2010, 12:47 PM
  Auspicious August Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 11 5,236 16-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  Awful August Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 5 2,696 20-08-2006, 01:20 PM