Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worcester half marathon 15th April 2012
05-05-2012, 02:21 PM,
Worcester half marathon 15th April 2012
After a few years without going to the UK, I had the chance to go on 14th April to take part at Worcester half marathon. Antonio G. and I went to Almería airport to take the plane to Gatwick. In my local airport, I met Sweder, his wife, daughter P., daughter’s friend R. and Sweder’s mother-in-law. I had met all of them. except his mother-in-law in Almería the previous Thursday with Santi since they had spent a week in a small village in northern Almería.. We had a drink at Torreluz terrace where we had a good time.

We had a pleasant flight. We wished each other good luck on the following day. Actually, Sweder was going to take part at Brighton marathon as well. Then, we left the airport to pick up our rented car at the Holiday Inn hotel where the rental company Green motion is. We were given a Hyundai bigger than we had applied for. I really like this company. They were very helpful and the rental was great value. After setting the Sat Nav we left. At the beginning I found it odd to drive on the left and once I was about to crash with a lorry since I tended to go to the right lane instead of the left one. But, later it was easier. We went towards Worcester trying to go to Stonehenge first but later we decided to leave that for Monday of we had time. So, we took the motorway and stopped at Theale for a soft drink in a pub in the high street as a homage to El Gordo who used to live there. I remember that when we wanted to take the key away to go to the pub, we couldn´t. So, I asked a man if he could help us and he managed to take it out. I told him if he wanted to have a drink with us but he said that he had to work. After the drink, we went on and stopped at Cirencester, in the Cotswolds. We liked this town and the scenery along small roads on the way. From there, we went to our hotel in Worcester, The Premier Inn, which is quite well and the staff is very nice and helpful. Later, we went to the rugby stadium where we picked up our race numbers and chips. After that, we went to Worcester where we saw its beautiful cathedral, the town hall, the High street ….. We just had a drink in a pub because food wasn’t served at that time - around 8 – so we went back to the hotel to have a fantastic dinner at the hotel restaurant.

On Sunday, we left early for the start line. We saw people who left their car near our hotel and went on foot, so we did the same. The temperature was 2º C but later it went up and it was a sunny and sometimes cloudy day. On the way to the stadium, I met a man, Paul, who told us he comes with his family to Jávea every year staying at a friend’ s house. We got into the stadium and left the bags in a special place for it. Then, we went to the start line waiting for the start which was delayed fifteen minutes due to the slow traffic to get the cars in the car park. The course is undulating with hills up and down. The scenery is rural with farms, small villages, etc. As Antonio G. was going to do the marathon, I decided to go on my own after the first mile which due to the narrow path we couldn’t start very fast. However, it doesn´t matter since it is better to go from less to more. So, I did the first mile in 12 minutes but the next 6 miles in 11 minutes. I felt quite well passing some runners when going up the hills. However, in the last part I had to slow down and was passed by some runners. I talked to a few runners while we were running together but I couldn’t be long with any of them. I was running with a girl when the half marathon runners had to go towards the stadium, however, she was doing the marathon. I thought if I had to do this course again, I wouldn’t be able. The last mile is next to a beautiful canal to get to the outer part of the stadium where the people cheered a lot. When I got to the finish in 2 hours 14 minutes, a girl gave me a bag with a medal, a bottle of water and something to eat. Then, I collected my XL T-shirt from a stand. Then, I went to pick up my bag with my sweatshirt and went to have a Jacket potato and a can of Seven up that I bought at a stand. After having that and cheering a little, I went back to the hotel where I had a shower and went back by car to the stadium to keep Antonio G. company in his last miles. I phoned him and found out where he was. So, I walked along the course cheering the runners who were getting to the finish and when I met Antonio -who was a little tired but not too much - we went together as far as near the finish. Then, I took a short cut to take a pic of him getting to the finish. He was glad to have managed to do his first marathon in 5 hours 16 minutes. We picked up his bag and drove back to the hotel.

At the hotel, we had a well deserved meal and went by car to Cheltentham and Gloucester. We liked this city and its cathedral, which by the way a man form there told us it had been used as a location in the Harry Potter films. We had a drink at a pub in Gloucester where there was a football match in which Tottenham and Chelsea were playing. There was a group of young students wearing their school uniforms and drinking a lot. We went back to the hotel restaurant where we had a beer and some crisps and peanuts.

On Monday, we had a fantastic buffet continental breakfast at the hotel restaurant and left towards Stonehenge. The Sat Nav took us along secondary roads and when we were near Salisbury we stopped at a petrol station to fill the car up and asked how to get to Stonehenge since in the Sat Nav we could’ t find this place. I asked the attendant who is paid for the petrol. She explained me but a lady heard us and explained me better. Fortunately, when we were setting the Sat Nav, the lady told us she was going that was, that we could follow her. So, I thanked her a lot. We got to the car park near the monument and went down to take some pictures. It is really impressive. From Stonehenge, we went to Brighton to meet Sweder and Cam who were waiting for us at the South Downs hotel car park. Both of them had finished Brighton marathon the previous day with nearly a PB. It was fantastic to see them again. In Sweder’s car we went to the place where Moyleman´s ashes were thrown since it was his favourite place. Cam, Chris´ sister took a bunch of flowers and Sweder a ribbon. I said that the next time I go, I´ll take an Indalo from Almería. It was very moving to be there remembering Chris three years and a day after his early death . We went for a walk in that beautiful place in the South Downs which is part of the famous snake, a very beautiful course to train between the sea front and the mountainous countryside and back along another path to the sea front in Brighton. Then, we went to the Marina where we had a fantastic lunch in an American restaurant and invited by Sweder who insisted on paying for it. Muchas gracias, S. After that, we went to the South Down hotel car park where we took our car, said good bye to Sweder thaniking him again for everything and Cam told us that we could follow her to take us to the sea front in Brighton where we could park the car. So we did and after thanking Cam for all, we went for a walk along the sea front, the pier…. There were a lot of people at the fun fair and on the beach since it was sunny. We had an ice cream in a café and drove back along the road by the sea front to the Green Motion rental company where we took back the car and went to the airport to take an early flight back to Almería.

We really enjoyed this short trip but very intense in emotions.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

05-05-2012, 02:24 PM,
RE: Worcester half marathon 15th April 2012
More pics.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

05-05-2012, 03:23 PM,
Very nice report Antonio, and lovely to see you and Antonio again. It was a pleasure to show you Moyleman's resting place and the magical place where we are lucky enough to run. You managed to pack a lot of things into a very short time - congratulations! I look forward to our next adventure together, whenever and where ever that may be.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

05-05-2012, 06:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-05-2012, 06:18 PM by Antonio247.)
Muchas gracias, A. It was great to meet your lovely family in Almería and Cam and you in Brighton. It was a fantastic trip. Thank you very much for all you did to make it be so wonderful.

Looking forward to a new adventure together.

Saludos desde Almería

PS. You'd love tomorrow´s race. It is very hilly. The difference in height goes from 621 metres at Armuña de Almanzora to 1201 metres at the finish at Bacares. Before the race runners,relatives and friends are offered an Andalusian breakfast. At the finish, which is 21.1 km away from the start, everybody can have "paella". Then, a coach takes runners, relatives and friends back to the start.

06-05-2012, 09:25 PM,
Well done for the race, for the report and for the photos Antonio.

Some timeless English scenes ...majestic cathedrals, quaint villages with timberframed cottages, schoolkids getting pissed in the pub with their school uniforms on ... must have been an eye-opener for you that one!

Nice homage to Moyleman too.

How did the "carrera de montaña" go today?
07-05-2012, 08:09 PM,
Muchas gracias, BB. It was a fantastic experience to travel to England again.

Yesterday the "carrera de montaña" was quite tough, with a lot of kilometres going up and very few flat or going down. I got suntanned after doing the half marathon in around 2 hours 45 minutes without a cap or sun cream. However, it was worth it since at Bacares we were given drinks, "paella", ham, "chorizo", etc. The atmosphere was great. Besides, before the race we had an Andalusian breakfast with coffee, chocolate, sponge cake, bread with olive oil and ham.

Anyway, compared to the "Aquilanos" race, "Truchillas" or others in the province of León, it was a piece of cake. By the way, I' d love to do the "Montes Aquilanos" short route, but I don' t think I'll be able to go this year. Best of luck in the long route, BB.

Saludos desde Almería

10-05-2012, 10:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-05-2012, 10:51 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Thanks Antonio, a lovely report - a great race and tremendous photos! Perhaps next year you can sneak below the 2 hour mark? How's your weight loss going? Have you got close to 80 kgs yet?

Run. Just run.
12-05-2012, 05:43 PM,
Muchas gracias, MLCM.

I think the 2 hour barrier can be reached but I should train better. I managed to be under 80 kg a few weeks ago although my weight today is 81.6 kg. I´ll try not to get fatter in summer. I usually get fatter due to the fact that I do less exercise due to the heat and I eat and sleep more.

Best of luck, MLCM!

Saludos desde Almería

14-05-2012, 09:19 PM,
Superb report, Antonio, which *almost* made me homesick -- particularly the references to your constant pub visits. As always, I love the detail.

Your race time was very respectable -- quite an improvement on some of your recent Almeria times.

Very touching to hear your perspective on the ceremony for Chris, and delighted that you have finally seem some of the famous Snake.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
15-05-2012, 07:55 PM,
Gracias, El Gordo.

It's always fantastic to visit an English pub even if you just have a ginger ale or a lemonade. The atmosphere is very nice.

Hope you're better from your injury in your thigh.

Saludos desde Almería

18-05-2012, 12:08 PM,
(15-05-2012, 07:55 PM)anlu247 Wrote: Hope you're better from your injury in your thigh.

Saludos desde Almería

Physically, more calf than thigh. Though the real injury appears to be much higher up the body. Sort of head area.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
19-05-2012, 09:16 AM,
(18-05-2012, 12:08 PM)El Gordo Wrote:
(15-05-2012, 07:55 PM)anlu247 Wrote: Hope you're better from your injury in your thigh.

Saludos desde Almería

Physically, more calf than thigh. Though the real injury appears to be much higher up the body. Sort of head area.

If, physically, your injury is better, you´ll succeed to overcome whatever makes you not feel well enough to go for a run. As the Chi-nese proverb says "The longest journey starts with the first step". Besides, in this forum there are very good examples of motivation.

Best of luck, EG!

21-05-2012, 10:01 PM,
Now that you've completed the Carrera de montaña, what's ahead for you this year Antonio? Any more races planned?
Run. Just run.
22-05-2012, 05:17 PM,
I don't have any races planned yet, MLCM. I may do a half marathon at Calar Alto in July.It's fifty km away from Almería in Sierra de los Filabres, a range of mountains. It is quite tough since it is in altitude 2160 m. and it is quite hilly along dirt tracks. I've never done it but I've heard it is quite hard.It can be done hiking as well. I'd like to be able to do all the half marathons in my province.

http://www.optimaevent.com/calaralto/subindex.htm

What about you? What´s your next challenge? Have you decided which marathon will have the honour of being the first one you do?

Saludos desde Almería

23-05-2012, 12:05 AM,
Not yet Antonio - there's basically a choice of two: a smaller (a couple of hundred runners) undulating run at the end of July or the big (several thousand) event in September. Work will determine which I do as I often work weekends and so can't enter events until I get my work rosters, generally only a few weeks ahead.

Such is life.

Cheers!
Run. Just run.
23-05-2012, 07:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 23-05-2012, 07:43 PM by Antonio247.)
Couldn't you change with a mate a shift so that you could enter a race in case you had to work on the race day? Bearing in mind it is a marathon, any mate would be willing to do the change, would't they?

Anyway, whatever marathon you can do, I wish you all the best. Besides, it will be a PB.

Saludos desde Almería.

23-05-2012, 09:37 PM,
(23-05-2012, 07:24 PM)anlu247 Wrote: Couldn't you change with a mate a shift ...

Sadly we are a small group of 8 who have to be totally self-relieving: we cover all our own sick and recreation leave and there is no-one from outside the department who can do our work, so the opportunities to swap shifts are extremely limited.

Don't worry, I'm sure it will work out alright. I believe in the power of positive thinking.

Sort of.

A bit.

Sometimes.

Dodgy
Run. Just run.
26-05-2012, 10:18 AM,
I'm interested in that Calar Alto race Antonio. I mentioned that "puerto de montaña" a while back on one of Sweder's threads. I think it's one of the 5 highest "proper" mountain passes in Spain. Morredero-Alto de Portillanes near Ponferrada is one of the others. There are very few passes with a tarmac surface that go over 2000m.

Hope that you do manage to run this race and are able to tell us all about it.
Saludos.
27-05-2012, 08:06 AM,
I'm looking forward to doing this half marathon along dirt tracks.

If I can do that race, I'll write a report and post some pics. I've heard it is really tough.

I hope you can come one year and take part in it, BB.

Saludos desde Almería

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XVII Almería half marathon. 2nd February 2014 Antonio247 5 3,977 03-03-2014, 09:43 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  Connemarathon 11 April 2010 Antonio247 8 7,285 12-05-2010, 01:46 PM
  III Carrera del desierto. Tabernas 5 April 2009 Antonio247 2 3,862 15-04-2009, 04:12 PM
  New objective : Almería half marathon Antonio247 74 58,836 10-02-2009, 08:53 PM
  Objective : Valencia half marathon Antonio247 53 38,144 16-11-2008, 03:25 PM
  VI carrera de la Cruz Roja. 27 April 2008. Antonio247 8 5,728 19-05-2008, 07:38 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  10th Almería half marathon. 28th January 2007 Antonio247 9 5,736 09-02-2007, 03:35 PM
  Benidorm half marathon. 26th Nov 2006. Antonio247 18 9,497 05-12-2006, 07:19 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Almeria Half 2007 El Gordo 5 3,369 31-10-2006, 09:09 AM
  Granada half marathon. 22nd October 2006 Antonio247 3 3,035 26-10-2006, 10:33 AM