Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Objective : Valencia half marathon
12-09-2008, 05:19 AM,
11th September

After a day of rest, I went for a run at 8 am. It was a sunny morning. When I started, I felt a little discomfort in my right calf so I decided to go very slowly. I met Encarna at the park when she was going to work. She is a runner who took part at Almería half. I walked with her for three minutes and went on jogging along Nicolás Salmerón park. There were a lot of puddles because on Tuesday it rained cats and dogs for half an hour. I got as far as the end of the park and came back. There were some people walking their dogs. When I was reaching the the other ether end of the park I felt pain in my right calf so I had to stop and went home limping. In all, I just did 20 minutes, around 2.5 km. At home I put some ice in my right calf and in the afternoon and evening some ointment. Today I can walk a little better but I´ll have to rest from running a few days. It´s a pity because I was going to take part at a 10 km race at Laujar de Andarax on Sunday. Perhaps I should have rested another day.

13-09-2008, 02:46 PM,
Rest up Antonio, the calf will heal quicker. You are very disciplined on your diet so I'm sure you won't put on any weight - you can get back to training when your leg is fully recovered. I'm putting my feet up since my last outing on Thursday. I've picked up a slight cold - this always happens when I get back into running after a lay-off - and I don't want to make it any worse.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

15-09-2008, 07:40 AM,
Gracias, SW. I´m feeling much better but I´m going to rest a few more days.

Get better from your cold!

15-09-2008, 03:23 PM,
We seem to a collection of old crocks at the moment :-(
Phew this is hard work !
28-09-2008, 02:28 PM,
28th September 2008

After two weeks and four days without being able to go for a run, I managed to do it this morning. I couldn´t go because I had an injury in my right calf. The first days were awful since I had to limp a lot. I massaged myself with Traumeel and I felt better. Anyway, I missed a 10 km race at Laujar although I went with PaulK and his wife M., who were spending a week in their house in the province of Almería. We had a good time there and he did a good race although it was a bit tough. There, we met a lof of running friends such as Encarna, Pepe, Javier, Manuel, David, Santi etc.

In this time I´ve just walked to school every day and ridden a little on bicycle. I´ve lost two kilos because I´ve had diarrhoea since Wednesday so I had to fast the first day and eat just yoghurt or rice the other days.

This morning I went for a run. I started at the Almadrabillas esplanade just opposite home. I did some stretching before running andI went along the sea front as far as the end in 18 minutes. There I stopped to stretch again. Then I came back and stopped after five minutes to talk to Jorge, a runner who was with two more runners. They had done 18 kilometres. He told me that he had been nearly three months without training because every time he tried to go for a run he had a terrible pain in his hip. He went to several traumatologists and had some tests but they didn´t know what happened to him. They thought it was a calcification. Then, he went to another traumatologist, who was a mate of mine at secondary school, Dr Isidoro Pascual, and just after telling him to lie down at the examining couch told him he just had a leg a little big longer then the other one. So, he just needed orthotics. After putting his orthotics on, he could run without any pain!

After four minutes´ talk, I went on and got to the esplanade in 18 minutes again. There, I did some stretching and went home.

Attached Files
.jpg   Copia (2) de DSC00759.JPG (Size: 66.99 KB / Downloads: 41)

28-09-2008, 11:39 PM,
Ah ha! Another vote for orthotics. They really do make a difference don't they?!

Hope your recovery goes well Antonio!
Run. Just run.
29-09-2008, 08:21 PM,
That´s right, MLCM, orthotics can be miraculous!

My recovery seems to be all right. Gracias, MLCM.

29-09-2008, 08:31 PM,
Do orthotics work only if you have one leg longer than the other? What if you have one leg shorter than the other...? Confused
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
29-09-2008, 11:38 PM,
I'm waiting for the next generation of orthapaedic inventions. I need something to take my running shoes out for a long run that doesn't involve me. Struggling horribly with motivation just now - perhaps the Almeria announcement will provide the kick in the tail I need.

30-09-2008, 08:14 PM,
Good luck with your new job Antonio! I've been away for a few weeks, otherwise would have sent you a note earlier. It sounds like it will be quite interesting and a new challenge for you.

Hopefully your calf will smarten up and you'll be running like you used to. You've got a good plan going on the eating - something I simply can't do so I admire people that can.

Suzie
01-10-2008, 01:22 PM,
Gracias, Suzie. I´m very glad with the change. The job is more rewarding since the students really want to learn. How are you getting on with your new job?

I should be more persevering with my eating but I´m weak and I ofen fall in wonderful temptations such as cakes, chocolate, etc.

It´s great to hear from you, Suzie.

Saludos desde Almería

04-10-2008, 07:58 AM,
1st October 2008

On Wednesday evening I decided to go for a run. I did the same course as on Sunday. I did some stretching before starting at the esplanade. I noticed some discomfort in my left knee. Anyway, I went along the sea front. There were a lot of people walking and some doing sport. I noticed many girls running. I met Sergio, the half marathon webmaster, who was sitting on a bench with his little son. They had their mountain bikes next to them. We talked a little about the next half marathon, injuries and other topics. Then, I went on as far as the en of the sea front where I did some stretching. I still felt some pain in my left knee. There I met Ricardo, who was a classmate of mine at secondary school. He had gone for a run to relax his mind. When he had left, I went back along the sea promenade as far as the esplanade in 18 minutes thirty second. I did some stretching by the palm trees and went home with a little pain in my left knee. I may have to see the knee guru as well.

05-10-2008, 01:40 PM,
After reading El Gordo´s new post, I felt like going for a run again. It was wonderful to see him enthusiastic about running. So, I went out and started at Sierra Alhamilla road uphill instead of downhill as at Almería half marathon. It was a beautiful sunny day. The temperature indicator showed 22ª Celsius. When I got to the bridge I turned right and got to the bridge along avenida del Mediterráneo as far as carretera de Níjar, just opposite Hotel Tryp Indalo where the RC team has stayed the last three years. It took me 17´45´´ to do 2.5 km. There, I did some stretching at a pub wall. On the way back, downhill, I felt a little pain in my left knee but not much. This time it took me 17´15´´ but I completed 18 minutes. I felt really good. I did some stretching at a column.

05-10-2008, 01:45 PM,
Glad to be of service, Antonio. I'm just off to the gym myself.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
05-10-2008, 02:09 PM,
That´s great, EG. Have a good time!

08-10-2008, 09:36 PM,
8th October 2008

It was a wonderful sunny afternoon in spite of the weather forecast that stated that it would rain. I went along Sierra de Alhamilla road as far as the Avenida del Mediterráneo bridge. I felt some discomfort in my left knee at the beginning but it went down later. I went down the avenue to reach the sea front reaching the end of it. I stopped to do some stretching. Then, I went along the sea front when I met Guillermo, who took part at Almería half last year. I told him to keep me company so that we could talk a little. He is interested in doing a marathon in spring although he doesn´t know which yet. As he did Madrid marathon three years ago, he´d like to do a different one. When we reached the Almadrabillas esplanade, he went on and I did some more stretching. In all, I did about 44 minutes and six kilometres.

14-10-2008, 09:48 AM,
And a very happy birthday to you Antonio! All the best people are born in October, eh? Wink
Run. Just run.
14-10-2008, 10:57 AM,
Most of 'em MLCMan Wink

¡Amigo del feliz cumpleaños!
Intente despedir los churros si usted puede…. Wink

14-10-2008, 03:18 PM,
Gracias, amigos. It´s wonderful to be half a century.

All the best

Antonio

14-10-2008, 07:38 PM,
Hola Antonio!
Feliz cumpleaños,
best people are born in january and october, that's the true
Ana Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XVII Almería half marathon. 2nd February 2014 Antonio247 5 3,977 03-03-2014, 09:43 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  Worcester half marathon 15th April 2012 Antonio247 18 12,036 27-05-2012, 08:06 AM
  New objective : Almería half marathon Antonio247 74 58,839 10-02-2009, 08:53 PM
  10th Almería half marathon. 28th January 2007 Antonio247 9 5,736 09-02-2007, 03:35 PM
  Benidorm half marathon. 26th Nov 2006. Antonio247 18 9,497 05-12-2006, 07:19 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Almeria Half 2007 El Gordo 5 3,369 31-10-2006, 09:09 AM
  Granada half marathon. 22nd October 2006 Antonio247 3 3,035 26-10-2006, 10:33 AM
  Benidorm half marathon. 27th Nov 2005. Antonio247 5 4,165 01-12-2005, 10:35 PM
  Granada Half El Gordo 13 6,942 26-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Albacete half marathon Antonio247 3 2,928 23-06-2005, 09:53 PM