Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brrrr-ief update
12-02-2012, 01:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-02-2012, 03:23 PM by El Gordo.)
Brrrr-ief update
Seems pretty chilly everywhere in the northern hemisphere these days, and no different here. We dipped to around minus 20 on a couple of days this week [snap from lunchtime walk attached], but I've managed to maintain reasonable activity levels. Most days I do my round-the-block walk, sometimes early in the morning, pre-work, pre-sunrise; or late at night, when the streets are dark and empty. Last night it was 1:30 a.m. when I finally got out.

The walk is only 1.2 to 2 miles, depending on time and appetite and temperature, but it always includes the steep plunge through the town, and the (naturlich) equally steep return. The full upward pull is 800 metres in length, but if I'm pushed for time, as I usually am, I turn off into my road on about 650-700 metres. Still testing enough to create a sweat-glazed forehead, and so it gets a cell on my spreadsheet, albeit in apologetic italics.

The heavier duty is the gym. I get there every second day, for an hour or so of pretty furious trundling. I can now declare that cardio sessions in the gym need not be boring as long as they're treated as interval workouts. Even 20 minutes on the elliptical or bike or treadmill can offer quite an intense workout if you're steadily pushing yourself up the gears. I look forward to going.

I'm happy with my progress. The opportunity of plodding by the light of the silvery Garmin has been withdrawn, so I look elsewhere for metrics. Weight is an obvious one. Exactly 20 pounds of ballast has been jettisoned in the current campaign, which 'officially' began at (April 22 minus 18 weeks). The Zurich Marathon 2012 may no longer be a live possibility, but its ghost remains. As always, I am in a state of happy denial. This dates the start of the current campaign to the week before Christmas -- the traditionally ideal point to begin a marathon campaign, real or imagined. So that's... 8 weeks, or a loss of about 1.1 kg a week. This is a healthy rate. Without alcohol, everything is easier.

Another measure of progress is the increasing fitness being revealed by the gym machines. The levels I was struggling to reach when I started are now close to my starting points.

Less demonstrable is an increasing mental clarity about the task ahead. Here, you will just have to take my word for it. I have a target but am still deep in negotiation with my instincts about how to reach it. What we agree on is that weight and general fitness are obvious places to start, and these sub-campaigns are going to plan. Getting rid of alcohol has been a major step forward. One of the few good things about Almeria this year was the chance to conduct a final experiment - just to be sure. And now I'm sure. What a shit drug that is - for me.

Talking of drugs, I've taken another break from Twitter. And from the main RC website. We all know the Interweb thingie is wonderful, but it encourages vicarious living. It makes me feel as if I'm watching my life on television, rather than living it. Spectator rather than participant. Living on my own at the moment hasn't helped. It might have increased my dependency on it. Not good, and so for a while at least, I'm reducing the time I spend online.

Maybe it's an age thing, but I'm also becoming strangely sickened by the amount of sniping and resentment and abuse I see and hear everywhere. I've donated a fair few buckets of bile myself in the past, so I'm trying not to be sanctimonious. But I've reached my limit. Recent events in English football have pushed me past the point of bemused tolerance. Or rather, not the events themselves but the raging tempests of bickering that inevitably follow on the radio and on the web, and which eventually start to create and shape the next installments. It won't stop if I complain, so best to shrug and silently join the majority of the world's population who see the bunfight for what it is -- or who don't see it at all. I've reached opinion saturation. Everywhere I look, everywhere I listen, someone is trying to give me their version of truth. Nine times out of ten, opinions are so tainted by deeper prejudices that the opinions are useless and unconsciously dishonest. That's my view, and don't bother to think something else because you are wrong and I am right.

Right. Action. Gym and German vocabulary podcast await.

El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
12-02-2012, 02:04 PM,
RE: Brrrr-ief update
Ha ha. I'd love to debate the whole Handshake That Wasn't There with The Man Who Wasn't There but of course I am myself deeply entrenched in my own Cyclopsian camp. That said I was mortified by happenings yesterday, simply because the most cursory touching of fingers might (might) have brought this nonsense to a close. Evra, having effortlessly gained the moral high ground suffered an appalling attack of vertigo before plunging back into the mire with an arm-whirling cavort worthy of a five-year-old in full tantrum mode. To use the vernacular, For Fuck's Sake Sad

Worse for me is the complete lack of non-league football thanks to our Siberian weather. As one wag at lewes FC pointed out at least the Mighty Rooks remain unbeaten in February ...

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

12-02-2012, 08:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-02-2012, 08:04 PM by El Gordo.)
Glowing. How good is this feeling?

Back from the gym, showered and fed.

30 minutes of elliptical, 20 mins static bike, 15 mins rowing machine. Plus two spells on the leg press for heavy duty calf stretching. A good pint or so of perspiration deposited.

I'm struck by the number of people at this gym who opt for delicate, dry-browed workouts, often executed while browsing one of the lifestyle magazines on offer. What's the point? Me, I grunt and sweat as if I'm in training for some sexual outrage. As long as I mop up after me -- and I do --my comrades are too genteel to notice.

As for entertainment, I eschewed the German vocab in favour of a couple of Motley Fool podcasts. More freakin' opinions, though unlike the ever-decreasing circles of logic found in the football sphere, these are always delivered with good humour and a heartening humility. For anyone interested in investment, and intelligent chat about options, I recommend them -- even the older ones (they go back 15 months or so). Klicken Sie hier. I'm still working my way through the Ben Greenfield fitness podcasts, but no harm in a bit of intellectual cross training.

Back home in time for the BBC's 606 phone-in, and an entire hour of forensic submissions on the great Suarez-Evra issue. In radio history, has the word "handshake" ever been mentioned more often in a single 60 minute period? I doubt it. A half hour of angry men fervently describing white as black, followed by a half hour of angry men fervently describing black as white. In truth, it threatened to be quite conciliatory for a while before crumbling into playground mode again.

[blush]
It hasn't exterminated all the hard-won endorphins, and I've lapsed into my usual post-exercise fantasy phase when I start peeking guiltily at all those hard core websites that runners love. You know the sort of thing - Ahem.
[/blush]

One day, people. One day.
El Gordo

12-02-2012, 08:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-02-2012, 08:51 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Welcome back, EG. Nice to see your sweaty self managed to get back from Spain OK. What the hell happened there??
Run. Just run.
12-02-2012, 09:13 PM,
(12-02-2012, 08:31 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: Welcome back, EG. Nice to see your sweaty self managed to get back from Spain OK. What the hell happened there??

Huh

Nothing happened.
El Gordo

12-02-2012, 09:15 PM,
(12-02-2012, 09:13 PM)El Gordo Wrote:
(12-02-2012, 08:31 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: Welcome back, EG. Nice to see your sweaty self managed to get back from Spain OK. What the hell happened there??

Huh

Nothing happened.

We know. We have the photographic evidence. Most alarming!
Run. Just run.