Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New ultra running telemovie.
28-01-2012, 03:55 AM,
New ultra running telemovie.
Now here's some good news - a telemovie being made about Cliff Young, Australia's most famous ultra-runner.

http://myabc/News-2/2011-2/Media-Release...-ABC1.aspx
Run. Just run.
28-01-2012, 07:52 PM,
RE: New ultra running telemovie.
(28-01-2012, 03:55 AM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: Now here's some good news - a telemovie being made about Cliff Young, Australia's most famous ultra-runner.

http://myabc/News-2/2011-2/Media-Release...-ABC1.aspx

The link didn't work for me.
Are you talking about an ultra running farmer with a limp? I reckon you mentioned this guy before, it's the sort of thing I normally remember.
28-01-2012, 07:56 PM,
Here's the release:

Cliff Young, the 61 year-old Victorian potato farmer, who grabbed the world headlines when he beat the finest distance runners in the 1983 Sydney to Melbourne ultra marathon, is the latest telemovie to be green lit by ABC TV.

Cliffy will be produced by Clock End Films for ABC1. It will be directed by Dean Murphy (Charlie & Boots, Strange Bedfellows) with Nigel Odell (Strange Bedfellows, Long Weekend) as producer.

The telemovie has been written by Robert B. Taylor (Muggers). Casting is currently underway with filming to start in mid April across Albury-Wodonga and regional Victoria.

Carole Sklan, ABC TV’s Head of Fiction said “Few stories capture the public imagination like that of Cliff Young. Nearly 30 years after famously shuffling from Sydney to Melbourne and into Australian folklore, Cliffy continues to fascinate and inspire. We are delighted to be partnering with such an accomplished creative team to bring this iconic tale to ABC TV.”

Producer Nigel Odell said “Dean and I are thrilled to be working with ABC TV to bring to life the story of this Aussie legend. Here is a man, who at the very mention of his name makes people smile. Everyone relates to Cliffy because secretly we all feel we have the ability to do amazing things if only we were given the chance and we love an underdog. He embodies everything we value in Australia and it’s fantastic that ABC TV is giving Australian audiences another chance to celebrate this amazing man and his incredible achievements.”

Set against the backdrop of the early eighties, Cliffy retraces his extraordinary journey from famously training in gumboots among cow paddocks through the epic six day period of the ultra marathon and his emergence as Australia’s most unlikely sporting hero.

Run. Just run.
28-01-2012, 08:00 PM,
The Sydney to Melbourne ultramarathon was an incredible race of 875 kilometres that was held between 1983 and 1991. Cliff Young managed to win the race (and the headlines) at the age of 61 and became something of a celebrity here.

Sadly the race died when the sponsors pulled out. A real tragedy really, because it was the only ultra I can think of that came close to being headline news anywhere.

Should be a great little film!
Run. Just run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The art of running The Beast of Bevendean 5 2,980 23-01-2017, 09:36 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Running Commentary's first publication! Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 18 10,180 20-11-2015, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
Thumbs Up Running Is The Answer: Part XXII Sweder 4 2,973 29-08-2013, 11:02 AM
  What I Talk About When I Talk About Running Sweder 21 15,159 19-05-2012, 12:22 PM
  Running: a global history The Beast of Bevendean 10 5,738 03-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Last Post: The Beast of Bevendean
  Running on the radio The Beast of Bevendean 4 3,011 09-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Last Post: The Beast of Bevendean