Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diary Update.
27-11-2011, 09:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 27-11-2011, 10:07 PM by Bierzo Baggie.)
Diary Update.
Summer. Kept it going through July and August with lots of short runs in between brief flurries of splashing about.

Took part in 2 very similar offroad races, up and down affairs, both with about 300m ascent.
Villanueva de Valdueza 11k.
Morla (again) 9k
Both were hard work in the afternoon heat.

Then in September, ran the second leg of a curious relay race along the St James’ Way.

All 3 races deserve a decent write-up, alas, so much to say, so little time. Wish I possessed some of Sweder’s machine gun prose.

Then there was my annual trip to Riazor Blue’s shop. For the first time in 3 or 4 years I went to buy some road shoes. RB sorted me out as usual and I only had to nod my head.

Perhaps the most significant development on the running front has come as a result of improved access to the Monte Pajariel trails. 2 years have passed since the tragic morning when Rafael the cobbler fell in the river. It’s a shame that it took a fatal accident to produce the smart new bridge.

[Image: 200820111836.jpg]

28-11-2011, 09:41 AM,
RE: Diary Update.
Indeed, very sad. Is it to be known as the Cobbler's Bridge perchance?
An impressive structure to be sure.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

28-11-2011, 01:05 PM,
Amazing to think that its role was previously served by just a few old pallets. Tragic indeed. Thanks as ever BB for bringing this world to us.
28-11-2011, 01:06 PM,
Oh, and... your curious relay race has piqued our curiosity. Quick reports will suffice if time prevents otherwise!
03-12-2011, 10:44 PM,
The relay race was over the pass between Astorga and Ponferrada, in my opinion the most ruggedly scenic section of the St James’ Way, at least it was until the wind turbines came forth and multiplied...

Missed “racing from castles for cheeses” last Sunday.

But highly motivated by the P2P write ups I signed up for the Cross Alpino Peña del Tren which is tomorrow morning.

Did the first edition in 2009 which was a mudbath.

In the 2010 edition there was over a foot of snow.

There aren’t many off-road races in north-east Spain at this time of year. The race organiser (who for some reason calls himself “El Tron”) has cheekily played the unpredictable weather card, slapping the title “Bienvenidos al infierno” onto the event webpage in big red letters, “welcome to hell.”

A dose of hell on a Sunday morning is an attractive proposition for some ...the race entries have doubled this year!
04-12-2011, 02:35 AM,
(03-12-2011, 10:44 PM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote: But highly motivated by the P2P write ups I signed up for the Cross Alpino Peña del Tren which is tomorrow morning.

All the best for that... looking forward to your report!
Run. Just run.
05-12-2011, 07:52 AM,
How did it go BB?

We can't get enough of mountain half marathons with unpredictable conditions round here!
06-12-2011, 09:01 AM,
Hell turned out to be a really nice place. I might go back there soon.

Pleasant weather, far horizons, crag capped sierras and good company. The photos show endless columns of solemn faced runners trudging up stony firebreaks. These were the most feasible moments to snap away with the mobile phone as the descents were ankle-jarringly uncomfortable and required maximum concentration. The soles of my feet hurt at the end, certainly noticed a big difference in doing this route in dry conditions.

Didn’t stop for the post-race barbequed ribs. Instead we took the familiar road over the Morredero Pass with the ritual drinks stop at the Boar’s Head Meson.

Pictorial race report

07-12-2011, 08:28 PM,
Man that looks steep and ... technical. Rolleyes No wonder there's so much walking. The descents must be murderous! Well done, sir!
Run. Just run.
08-12-2011, 02:46 AM,
Terrific photos BB. That's simply another level of challenge altogether. As my friend Down Under says, 'Technical'. The views are just reward for all that sinew-stretching.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

08-12-2011, 05:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-12-2011, 05:53 PM by Bierzo Baggie.)
Depends on what you’re used to. It’s actually down as one of the less technical races on the circuit.

It was enough for me though! Wore those Mizuno Harriers and it felt like barefoot running across gravel.

Here’s a photo of the winner, Aubeso from Burgos ...he ran it in road shoes!

[Image: DSC_0045.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diary of an injured runner Bierzo Baggie 22 5,622 08-10-2017, 09:54 PM
Last Post: glaconman
  Diary of a middle aged runner Bierzo Baggie 25 5,535 08-07-2017, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  Update Bierzo Baggie 23 12,547 21-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  The all new all new training diary Bierzo Baggie 14 10,450 24-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Last Post: glaconman
  The all new training diary. Bierzo Baggie 57 37,381 12-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man