Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh b**ger
11-09-2008, 02:19 PM,
Oh b**ger
I haven’t done a tremendous amount of running in the last few weeks, but have been building up my stamina and getting the wrist moving again, some progress there at least. Turned up at the doc’s on Tuesday to get the results of my bone scan expecting to get the all clear, but Life has just chucked me another banana skin, I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis. How can this be – I practically lived on gold top milk and cheese throughout my childhood, I took weight bearing exercise up and beyond the magic age of thirty when women stop increasing bone mass, I have certainly done my share of plodding, cycling etc in the many years since then which should have preserved bone mass. Apparently you can’t help the skeleton you inheritSad At least the doc doesn’t want me to stop running, she said running had probably helped my hips as there is less evidence of decrepitude in them than in my spine, she has suggested that I increase upper body weight bearing exercise, so I began some core strength stuff and weights at the gym yesterday. However, I can’t see her being very supportive if I tell her I’m entered for London next year:-(

Sometimes I just hate getting older.
Phew this is hard work !
11-09-2008, 04:46 PM,
Oh b**ger
Sorry to hear your news SW. Glad to hear running's not completely off the agenda and you've caught the blighter at a relatively young age Smile Gives you a chance to combat the march of time whilst you're still fighting fit.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

12-09-2008, 02:25 PM,
Oh b**ger
Thanks Sweder, it was a shock as much as anything and it is likely to make a difference to travel insurance, could cost me a bomb if I go skiing in the States again,that is if I dare to go skiing anywhere, plus have got some potentially hideous drugs to take, hate to think what the long term adverse effects they might have, started to read up about them on a website and couldn't face any more :-(
Still, Nil Carborundum, have just entered the Stockport 10 miler in December - a hideously hilly race - it'll give me somtehing to aim at.

Am currently reading Murakami.
Phew this is hard work !
21-09-2008, 02:38 AM,
Oh b**ger
That's crap news sw ... on the back of your accident that's a tough double whammy. Didn't I read somewhere however that running helps increase bone density? Perhaps that's why you weren't dissuaded from continuing?

Keep us up to date... and remember to question everything the medicos tell you - often they pass up guesswork as knowledge and it pays to put them on the spot!
Run. Just run.
03-10-2008, 01:54 PM,
Oh b**ger
Didn't get in on the ballot again - they sent me a fleece, but I'm sure I never ticked the bequeth button :-(

Think of all the energy I'll save, Does that make me "Green"?
Phew this is hard work !
03-10-2008, 03:19 PM,
Oh b**ger
I'm green alright . . . with envy at the lucky so-and-so's who seem to get in every year. Another wasted entry here too. (Sigh) . . . just have to find another target to train for next year. [SIZE="1"]Hmm . . . http://www.twoocea . . .[/SIZE]

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

03-10-2008, 10:11 PM,
Oh b**ger
I somehow missed your bad news, SW. I was on holiday for a couple of weeks and didn't check in much.

Anyway, really sorry to hear it. I know it's all about a weakening of the bones but hope it's very very gradual, and allows you to squeeze out another few marathons. I also endorse what MLCM says -- a second opinion never hurts.

We need to get you down here for a race sometime -- or encourage you to wangle a long weekend for Almeria.

Anyway, do keep us updated -- good luck.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
03-10-2008, 10:13 PM,
Oh b**ger
Sweder Wrote:I'm green alright . . . with envy at the lucky so-and-so's who seem to get in every year. Another wasted entry here too. (Sigh) . . . just have to find another target to train for next year. Hmm . . . www.twoocea . . .

Yep, I got my fleece today too. It's hard enough getting in on the ballot but this year there was a massive surge of applications from the masses watching the race on TV apparently, as that's when the online entry was first advertised. Didn't they get 100,000 applications within a few hours, or something mad like that? I'm the last person to decry the dreams of the indolent plumpies, being one myself, but I do wonder how many sofa-dwellers will this morning have received their acceptance magazines and think "What on earth is this....? Oh shit, I forgot I'd got a bit carried away 6 months ago..." and have no intention of training or doing the race.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
23-10-2008, 12:43 PM,
Oh b**ger
How's the recovery going sw?
Run. Just run.
28-10-2008, 02:32 PM,
Oh b**ger
Sorry for lack of response to your very kind concerns fellas...two blood tests later and they tell me I have raised liver function - number one son suggested that the G&T's were to blame :-) not sure what it is but I have to go for a liver scan, similarly they are testing me for coeliac disease - OMG no - that would mean no more beer - ever - unthinkable. I just feel that the medical profession won't rest until they find something wrong with me:-(

The cough/throat virus doing the rounds up here had prevented me trotting out for a week or so, but did a four miler yesterday which felt just fine. Am still intending to do the Stockport ten miler at the beginning of December if I can.

On the good side, my cello playing capabilities are steadily improving, I've really missed my scraping.

I will attempt to catch up with everyones entries.
Phew this is hard work !