Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
September 2011
07-09-2011, 10:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-09-2011, 11:17 PM by Sweder.)
September 2011
Time to catch up with September. It's the 8th already and I'm still pfaffing about in August. Story of my life.

I arrived in Hong Kong on Sunday evening and it's been all work since. Having endured a sleepless night Tuesday (when I suffered every miserable minute of England's pallid scrape past a luckless Wales) I grabbed some shuteye during Wednesday. As a consequence I found myself in the Wide Awake club at 04:00 this morning. As my last run had been on Saturday I strapped on the Mizunos and set off into the pre-dawn, slogging slowly along the soul-less concrete trails that skirt the airport. 5.5 unremarkable kilometres turned my Terminator t-shirt transluscent, a fact that left the Marriott doorman slack-jawed in silent horror.

Back in my room I peeled off my sodden clothes and stood in the blast of the aircon, leaking like a buck-shot cartoon gunslinger. I'm pleased that I managed to get out there but annoyed with myself for not heeding Glaconman's sound advice about controlling my environment on the road. Most of the fluid springing from my freshly opened pores was recycled Guinness. Having eschewed a nightbus to Kowloon (full of gamboling, business-crazed show-folk) I sat down in the Velocity bar and sank several pints. There really was no excuse for it aside from boredom. I can and will do better. The run this morning has helped, if only to remind me just how fast a belly can return from exile.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

08-09-2011, 05:02 AM,
RE: September 2011
Welcome to a decent time zone, Sweder... just two more and you'll be in God's own time zone on the right side of the planet. You could probably lose that tropical climate, mind. Although, I don't know - running in that humidity would definitely be a good way to sweat out some surplus Guinness.

Good on you for getting out there.

Enjoy Honkers!
Run. Just run.
17-09-2011, 04:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 17-09-2011, 04:07 PM by Sweder.)
At last another run to report, and I shall do so in more detail just as soon as I can make time to write it all down.
9.11 kilometres, a poignant distance following the 10th anniversary of that event.

Good luck to MLCMan, mere hours away from his battle in Sydney.
RC expects ...

17-09-2011, 07:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 30-06-2020, 02:23 PM by Sweder.)
Aint No Love In The Heart Of The City
For the first time since landing in Mexico last Saturday night I fancied a run. As we flew in I snapped a shot of the apparently endless cityscape. It looked much like the surface of the Death Star, only bigger. The stresses and strains of a week battling with the dark forces of customs and an obstructive health department has left me weary, drained of any desire to indulge in physical exercise unless it involves climbing the steps onto my flight home. My only succour is to be found in the arms of Don Julio, a particularly smooth blend of tequila sipped from a small brandy glass accompanied by spicy sangrito or 'little blood' chasers. Leon, an amicable brand of cerveza negra, provides the necessary volume.

Thanks to the Don I slept like the dead last night, waking to the low thrum of this beast of a city. Garmin tuned in, pink swimming shorts and Terminator t-shirt strapped on I arrived at the concierge desk looking for directions to the Paseo de la Reforma, the most famous section of the massive Chapultepec, the largest city centre park in the world. Chapultepec is the lungs of this metropolis, an invaluable green space feeding much-needed oxygen into the city's endless arteries. After five minutes of scanning her screen, printing and carefully marking out a map, the lovely senorita handed me the paper. There were at least six possible routes set out in fluorescent yellow. She smiled, running her slender finger along one route as she peered over the top of her trendy but apparently ineffectual glasses.

‘I think this is your best possibility. Will you walk there or take a taxi?’
‘I’m planning to run there and back’
Another smile, this one tinged with sympathy.
‘OK’.

I set off along the chosen path, making note of the buildings and landmarks so as to have some hope of finding my way home. These mental breadcrumbs slipped through the cracks as I laboured for breath. The high altitude here delivers even less oxygen per gulp. I tried to regulate my breathing and slow my pace, mindful that the park is some two kilometres away and I was running alongside a four-lane highway swarming with ancient trucks belting out thick, acrid smoke.

As I reached the outskirts of the park I met my first fellow jogger with a cheery smile and a half-Shearer. He responded in kind, much to my amusement. Apparently the role model for the The Paseo (or Paseo Boulevard), a 19-mile avenue in the center of Kansas City, Mexico City's original is laced with running and cycling tracks. The foul stench of traffic made way for the sweet musk of Agave Salmiana lining the route, their spiny tendrils reaching out in welcome as I trundled by. Where the trails reach the freeway they arc up onto narrow bridges, dropping off sharply to continue on the other side. As I approached the foot of one such climb a man appeared to my left. I could see he intended to cross the path before I reached the intersection. His jaw was set and he fixed me with the steely glare of a gunslinger ready to draw. Here, in a moment, is Mexico in microcosm, a moment where the brutal struggle to get ahead of the next guy includes beating a fat, sweaty man to a crossing point on a jogging track.

There’s a perception of Mexicans as lazy, good for nothing layabouts, perpetuated by years of stereotypical caricatures, men wrapped in ponchos slumped under sombreros next to an empty tequila bottle, a view recently exacerbated by those pompous, too-clever-by-half assholes on Top Gear. The reality couldn’t be further from the truth. The Mexican heart beats strong, fueled by pride and the need to succeed, to overcome the injustices of a system choked as much by bureaucracy as diesel fumes. That heart is crushed under the weight of sluggish, bloated government, lifeblood poisoned by red ink, arteries pinched by red tape. In my dealings here I’ve seen men and women broken by promises and lies, whipped like curs by low-paid officials wielding their smidgen of power to make life intolerable for the little guy. There’s no end to it. My customs broker, having explained that customs wanted to inspect a shipment for the fourth time without offering a reason, told me that if you get knocked down in the street your first thought is you hope your details show up in the hospital computer when you arrive. If they don’t, jog on. Life here is a brutal struggle where straight answers are as rare as rocking-horse shit. There are of course plenty of people with money. They use their wealth and power to operate the smoke and mirrors that keeping the struggling majority in their place. You might say this all sounds familiar. I’m in no doubt my own country has been heading this way for some time. But to see the results of a lifetime of this bullshit etched into the faces of the decent, friendly people who just want to help breaks your heart. Why invite the world to your table only to slam the door in its face as it holds out its hand? Professionally speaking I can't get out of this rat-hole fast enough.

Yesterday was Mexico’s Independence Day, marking the country’s civil war and the ultimate rebel victory in 1821. Hidalgo, the priest who lead the uprising, was captured in 1811 after defeat at the Battle of the Bridge of Calderón. He was taken to Guanajuato where his severed head was displayed as a warning to the Mexican rebels. Undeterred, the rebels regrouped and fought like dogs until at last they won their independence. Today a proud nation marks their victory with military pageants, fireworks and wild celebrations. I got my own taste on Thursday evening when my hotel neighbour threw an impromptu party, complete with an amped-up Fender Strat copy and any number of drunken, caterwauling guests. A highlight was their rendition of ‘Don’t Let me Down’, the mention of which on Twitter sparked an interesting debate as to the validity of the Beatles’ place at the pinnacle of world music. Some regular contributors here may have been involved ...

Don"t Let Me Down (mp3)

So, we’re at this bridge. And I look him in the eye and I say to myself ‘fuck it, I’m not giving way’. He realises that unless he yields he’s going to collide with a large sweaty mass. He hesitates, and the bridge is mine.

I plod on, heading up the long hill past a series of ornate fountains, the road lined with giant marble steps. More runners, dog-walkers and cyclists hailed me with ‘hola!’ and ‘Buenos Dias!’, kind and generous greetings for a melting, huffing, puffing wreck. I left the park, returning to the filthy streets to joust with dangerously erratic vehicles. Mexico City sits just below Paris and Rome in the circles of traffic hell. I could feel my throat tighten as the air turned sour, eyes watering. I climbed the last hill alongside the cracked and broken road. Ahead of me lay a couple of pick axes, abandoned next to a small hole in a pavement full of unrepaired holes. I diverted through the courtyard of a bank building, a steel and glass monument to greed and hubris. On its’ steps a gang of uniformed cleaners swabbed and scrubbed the dusty granite. As they worked towards the gaudy entrance the traffic bellowed on, sending clouds of filth into the air to land in their soapy footsteps even as they cleaned.

Such is life in Mexico City. It’s like the old saying goes:
Life is like a shit sandwich.
The more bread you got, the less shit you have to eat.

9.11 kilometers, 55 minutes.

17-09-2011, 09:45 PM,
RE: Aint No Love In The Heart Of The City
(17-09-2011, 07:13 PM)Sweder Wrote: I got my own taste of it all on Thursday evening when my hotel neighbour threw an impromptu party, complete with an amped-up Fender Stratocaster copy and any number of drunken, caterwauling guests. A highlight was their rendition of ‘Don’t Let me Down’, the mention of which on Twitter sparked an interesting debate as to the validity of the Beatles’ place at the pinnacle of world music. Some regular contributors here may have been involved.

Wish I'd known - I'd loved to have joined in, and made the point that if, on another continent, a bunch of partying Mexicans who probably know little or no English, are willing and able to croon one of the band's lesser known numbers 45 years after it was released, then a pretty eloquent point about the band's historical standing is being made.

Instead, I'll congratulate you on a brilliant piece of insightful writing. Absolutely top stuff.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
17-09-2011, 10:14 PM,
(17-09-2011, 09:45 PM)El Gordo Wrote: Wish I'd known - I'd loved to have joined in, and made the point that if, on another continent, a bunch of partying Mexicans who probably know little or no English, are willing and able to croon one of the band's lesser known numbers 45 years after it was released, then a pretty eloquent point about the band's historical standing is being made.

They also played 'Sweet Child O' Mine' by Guns and Roses and, much to my pillow-clutching horror, 'I'm Your Man' by WAM.

17-09-2011, 10:51 PM,
(17-09-2011, 10:14 PM)Sweder Wrote:
(17-09-2011, 09:45 PM)El Gordo Wrote: Wish I'd known - I'd loved to have joined in, and made the point that if, on another continent, a bunch of partying Mexicans who probably know little or no English, are willing and able to croon one of the band's lesser known numbers 45 years after it was released, then a pretty eloquent point about the band's historical standing is being made.

They also played 'Sweet Child O' Mine' by Guns and Roses and, much to my pillow-clutching horror, 'I'm Your Man' by WAM.

Fair point. No idea what either of those sound like (though would probably recognise 'em if I was drunk enough).
El Gordo

18-09-2011, 11:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 18-09-2011, 11:14 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
That's the only piece of travel writing I've ever read that made me simultaneously want to go there and not want to go there. Great stuff, Sweder!
Run. Just run.
18-09-2011, 05:10 PM,
Great peice Sweder.

I tried to get a container out of India a few years ago. It left me feeling catatonic. I don't know how you do it.
30-09-2011, 07:06 PM,
Quick update: not much running to report as I've been shuffling helicopters in Duxford all week. Someone has to it seems. I have, at the gentle prompting of Tom, Roper of this parrish, decided to enter the Lewes Downland 10 this Sunday. It promises to be rather warm and hilly, just what I need to melt myself into shape for the ever-closer P2P challenge.

01-10-2011, 01:01 PM,
Take it easy tomorrow, S.! Best of luck!

02-10-2011, 01:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-10-2011, 05:23 PM by Sweder.)
Lewes Downland 10 - Deja Vu all over again
I survived the Lewes Downland 10 this morning, running in a 60 second PB (1:25 and change) in the hottest recorded conditions in these parts at this time of year. Trust me, oh ye of little faith, it was bloody hot. What breeze there was evaporated in the sun-drenched valleys, the merciless sun sapping my energy as my legs grew wobbly over the closing miles.

Parallels with the 2007 race, my first attempt at this undulating beast of a ten miler, don't end in the glare of strong sunshine. There's a Rugby World Cup on the go for one thing. England & France have again both qualified for the knock out stages, albeit in both cases the passage has been far from straight forward.

Then there's my decision to ship a barrel load of beer yesterday, first at my beloved Lewes FC and later on the thirsty walk home. Thirsty Walk? Is she on Newsnight? Anyway, I'm home now, a broken man, hamstrings like piano wire, feet battered and bruised and a honey-do list that needs attention. So for details of the course I present, without apology, my 2007 race report.

02-10-2011, 02:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-10-2011, 02:00 PM by El Gordo.)
Very well done - extraordinary feat [sic].

But it has to be said: you're a bloody monster, man.

Seriously, there is something wrong with you. Get help.

Tongue
El Gordo

02-10-2011, 03:05 PM,
Fear not Landlord, I shall put him to rights next week on our 4-day beer (and a bit of golf) fest. Big Grin

Nice work Swede, I can imagine how bloody hot it was out there. Glad I didn't decide to run it (as I was going to up until the point I realised it wasn't a 10K)
02-10-2011, 06:20 PM,
A PB! Bravo! It was indeed hot, dry, dusty...I only saw one prostrate runner being attended to by the ambulance, but I'm surprised there weren't more. Perhaps their bodies have been left on the downs for the Sussex puma.
χαιρέτε νικὠμεν
Next race(s): 
In the lap of the gods

02-10-2011, 08:03 PM,
Hot? I thought this was a British race?? Confused
Run. Just run.
03-10-2011, 07:18 AM,
(02-10-2011, 08:03 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: Hot? I thought this was a British race?? Confused

Your confusion is understandable, Mr Crisis. The first weekend in October has turned out to be one of the hottest of the year, at least in the south of England. My kids were disappointed to find that the paddling pool had already been stowed in the loft for the winter.
03-10-2011, 08:56 AM,
Great effort Sweder. I can sympathise. I ran in a cross country relay on Saturday. Only 2 miles but just horrible in that heat.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  September Sweder 8 2,295 13-10-2017, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  September 2016 Sweder 8 4,272 27-09-2016, 12:25 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  September 2013 Sweder 21 11,955 01-10-2013, 10:07 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Point 2 Pinnacle 2011 Sweder 19 44,412 19-11-2012, 07:28 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  September Sweder 49 34,402 29-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Sweder