Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Objectives: Under two hours and under eighty kilos
29-09-2011, 08:27 AM,
RE: Objectives: Under two hours and under eighty kilos
(28-09-2011, 02:07 PM)anlu247 Wrote: Are you going to do Brighton marathon next year?

No, I have a place for London! Big Grin

I'm planning to run it properly, not fancy dress, and try for a PB.

Meanwhile I'm hoping to do Marlow half marathon in November, which is a nice hilly course very close to my home. If I manage that, I will be starting from a higher base than usual for marathon training.

Keep up the regular reports!
29-09-2011, 08:21 PM,
(29-09-2011, 08:27 AM)marathondan Wrote:
(28-09-2011, 02:07 PM)anlu247 Wrote: Are you going to do Brighton marathon next year?

No, I have a place for London! Big Grin

I'm planning to run it properly, not fancy dress, and try for a PB.

Meanwhile I'm hoping to do Marlow half marathon in November, which is a nice hilly course very close to my home. If I manage that, I will be starting from a higher base than usual for marathon training.

Keep up the regular reports!

You´re lucky to have a race number for London marathon since it is very difficult to get one.

Good luck with your targets, Dan!

02-10-2011, 04:19 PM,
Sunday 2nd October

This week I´ve managed to do 30 km in four days. This morning I went as far as the university along the sea front and back. I did 12 km in 90 minutes, doing one minute walking, four jogging after having done 30 minutes jogging. I felt less tired than other times. As it was a lovely day, although a bit hot 29º Celsius, I went for a swim afterwards. It was wonderful.

In September I´ve gone for a run 21 days doing 123 km. However, my weight is not going down. I must admit I´ve eaten too much, especially chocolate milkshakes with slices of toast with olive oil.

02-10-2011, 08:05 PM,
(02-10-2011, 04:19 PM)anlu247 Wrote: However, my weight is not going down. I must admit I´ve eaten too much, especially chocolate milkshakes with slices of toast with olive oil.

Yep. Substitute Guinness for the chocolate milkshakes - that should sort things out.
Run. Just run.
13-10-2011, 07:11 PM,
Sunday 9th October

Last week I just went for a run four days doing 7, 6, 6 and 6 kilometres each day. In all, I did 28 km. My weight is 83.5 kg. I should increase my mileage and decrease the food I eat.

13-10-2011, 07:22 PM,
(13-10-2011, 07:11 PM)anlu247 Wrote: My weight is 83.5 kg. I should increase my mileage and decrease the food I eat.

Unfortunately Antonio, that is indeed the winning formula: do more + eat less = weight loss.

Best of luck!
Run. Just run.
14-10-2011, 07:05 PM,
(13-10-2011, 07:22 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:
(13-10-2011, 07:11 PM)anlu247 Wrote: My weight is 83.5 kg. I should increase my mileage and decrease the food I eat.

Unfortunately Antonio, that is indeed the winning formula: do more + eat less = weight loss.

Best of luck!

Gracias, MLCM. I´ll have to do that if I want to lose weight and run faster.

20-10-2011, 11:15 AM,
(13-10-2011, 07:11 PM)anlu247 Wrote: Sunday 9th October

Last week I just went for a run four days doing 7, 6, 6 and 6 kilometres each day. In all, I did 28 km. My weight is 83.5 kg. I should increase my mileage and decrease the food I eat.

That's good form Antonio, steady mileage. I'm hoping to get up to that sort of standard over the next two weeks with long runs at the weekends. If you add 10 kilos to the weigh-in we're on a similar track Smile

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

20-10-2011, 01:38 PM,
That's good form Antonio, steady mileage. I'm hoping to get up to that sort of standard over the next two weeks with long runs at the weekends. If you add 10 kilos to the weigh-in we're on a similar track Smile
[/quote]

Sunday 16th October

Gracias, S. I think you´re always fit to take part in a race. Even if you weigh ten kilos more than me, you look slimmer since you´re much taller.

Last week I managed to go for a run five days, doing 5, 6, 7, 9 and 5 km. In all, 32 km. I´m feeling better and I´ve lost one kilo this week.

31-10-2011, 03:51 PM,

Last week I went for a run three days doing 8, 7 and 10 km. In all, 25 km. I spent in Madrid last weekend, so I took part in a 10 km race that started and finished at parque del Retiro in the city centre. It was a sunny day. My brother went with me although he didn´t take part in it. There were around 1500 participants and the spectators cheered a lot. I went at a 5´40 km pace the first 6 km but I couldn´t keep that pace all the course. However, in the last 1.5 I felt well and I passed a few runners. I did the 10 km in 62 minutes. There was a drink station in km 5 and in the finish I was given a bag with a technical T-shirt, an orange and a bottle of water. There was a stall with Nestea cans as well.

15-01-2012, 05:16 PM,
                    Sunday 15th Janurary 2012

Sorry for not having written anything since the end of October but I´ve been very lazy in reporting my running and weight.

After the 10 km in Madrid, I thought I was not fit enough to take part in Granada half marathon.

In October, I did 113 km but in November I only managed to do 59 km. However, in December I did 114 km and took part in three races.

The first one was in Viator, a small town 11 km away from Almería. It was on Sunday 18th. The distance was 8 km along road and dirt tracks. I went in my car with Felipe and Mario. There, I met Manuel, who is from Pechina in Almería but lives in Barcelona. I did it with Antonio G., a friend from Almería whom I met at the first trail Cabo de Gata-Níjar. We started     at a comfortable pace, going up some tough hills and went faster downhill. We managed to do the eight kilometres in 47 minutes. Afterwards, we were given a yellow T-shirt, some fruit, water and yoghurt with ice cream from a local company which was delicious.

The second race was the traditional “Subida a los Baños de Sierra Alhamilla” in Pechina. There, I met Manuel, Santi and his brother-in-law Jesús who came from Santiago de Compostela. I also met Manuel´s mother, sister and a friend of him, Paco. It was a wonderful warm sunny day. We started together but as I wasn´t too fit Santi kept me company. When we got to the top along the road, we drank some water and went back to Pechina along a dirt track. It took me 2 hours ten minutes to do 15.5 km. Afterwards, we had some drinks and tapas at a bar in the town square.

The third race was the also traditional “San Silvestre” in Almería. It was on 25th at 7 pm. This year, there were a lot of people dressed up in many different ways such as smurfs, cow boys, sheep, Little Riding Hood, etc. The atmosphere was fantastic. I met a few friends before, during and after the race. There were many spectators cheering at the paseo and Rambla illuminated with the Christmas lights. We had to do two 3 km laps. I did the first one in 18 minutes and the second one in 17 minutes feeling fine and passing some people in the last kilometre. I took my goodie bag with a technical T-shirt, a bottle of water, fruit and I had a glass of Aquarius.

16-01-2012, 09:48 AM,
You're putting in some good consistent kilometres Antonio (except November Sad) and it sounds like you have enjoyed yourself over the Christmas period with some races. Some beautiful clear skies in your photos. I hope you can continue the training level for the next few weeks - I will look forward to your Almeria half performance!
17-01-2012, 12:23 PM,
Gracias, Dan. I´m feeling more motivated lately to go for a run although I should train better if I ever want to do a half marathon under two hours.

The skies have been very blue until yesterday when it started to rain a lot but today the sun is shining again after a few cloudy hours.

Best of luck with your marathon training, Dan!

18-01-2012, 01:53 AM,
(17-01-2012, 12:23 PM)anlu247 Wrote: I should train better if I ever want to do a half marathon under two hours.

You can do it Antonio! Just focus on the goal and the training will take care of itself. Smile
Run. Just run.
18-01-2012, 06:20 PM,
(18-01-2012, 01:53 AM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:
(17-01-2012, 12:23 PM)anlu247 Wrote: I should train better if I ever want to do a half marathon under two hours.

You can do it Antonio! Just focus on the goal and the training will take care of itself. Smile

Muchas gracias, MLCM. Thank you very much. I won´t lose the hope.

Saludos desde Almería

27-01-2012, 10:14 PM,
Last year I managed to do 1276 km, which is around 500 km more than in 2011.

Since 1st January I´ve gone for a run 18 days out of 27 soing 136 km so far. The longest run was on Saturday 14th when I did 18 km with Antonio G. We went from the beginning of the sea front as far as the end of Costacabana sea front and back. Then, as it was a warm sunny day we went for a swim. At the beginning, the water was very cold but after swimming a little it was great. Antonio G. says that going for a swim in autumn and winter prevents from getting a cold. On the beach, there was a big sand castle where you can throw some coins.

This week I´ve been for a run every day. On Monday afternoon I did the 9 km course. The other days I´ve gone for short runs early in the morning, just 5 or six kilometres.

My weight is going down slowly but it had gone up at Christmas. This morning, I weighed 83, 4 kilos.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

13-02-2012, 05:37 PM,
On Sunday 29th January, I picked up Cam, Julie, Andy SP and Ashley at their hotel and went to the staium car park. Unfortunaletly, Andy EG couldn´t come because he didn´t feel well. When we got there, we did some plodding to get into the stadium. There were a lot of people who were going to take part in both races. I started with Ashley and Andy but soon I was on my own. I felt really well going at a 5´20´´ pace for the first five kilometres along the new avenues near the stadium and the avenida del Mediterráneo. However, at kilometre 5 I noticed a pull in my right hamstring and had to go on walking for two kilometres. I saw a volunteer on a bicycle and asked him if he had “Reflex”. He lent me a bottle and I put some in the sore area. As I felt better, I decided to go on plodding. When I was getting to km 8, I saw Antonio G. who was on the other side to do the half marathon course. I told him I´d have to do only the 9 km race because of my injury but when I got to the notice where the 9 km runners or walkers had to turn right towards the stadium, a marshal told me to go straight on to do the half marathon. I told her that I didn´t know whether to go on or do just 9 km. She told me to do what I thought better. So, I did some stretching there because I didn´t want to be the first half marathon runner to reach the stadium and as I saw there were two half marathon runners who were still coming, I decided to wait for the last one, Rafa, who I had met a few years ago at Albacete half marathon and we had done it together. He is well known in the running world because in spite of being quite slow, he takes part in races all over Spain every weekend, sometimes two or three races every weekend. So, we went together talking and I felt fine since I could keep his pace very well. At avenida Gregorio Marañón, I saw my wife with two colleagues of mine, Pablo and Isabel. She was worried because she hadn´t seen me before. She tried to persuade me later at la Rambla to leave the race. I went on talking to Rafa towards avenida del Mediterráneo where we met another runner who was limping. As I felt too comfortable, I decided to push a little bit in order to get to the finish under 2 hours 30 minutes. I was encourageg by the volunteers who were on bicycle and on motorbike and by some spectators and runners who had already finished. I got a phone call from Santi when I was near the stadium asking me how I was. Later, I saw him with Ashley, Julie and Camilla cheering me at the car park before getting to the finish. I got to the stadium followed by a volunteer on bicycle. I managed to be arrive in 2 hours, 29 minutes, 30 seconds real time. There I saw Andy SP who congratulated me. I waited for Rafa who arrived with another runner I had passed before the stadium. We congratulated each other. We picked up the drinks, fruit, T-shirt, etc and went quickly to the car park where they all were waiting for me to take them to their hotel. I apologised for having made them wait for me so long. The rest is post race celebrations where the RC team and some Spanish friends such as Carmen, Santi, Manolo, Antonio G. we all had a fantastic lunch at Plaza de Cañas or a lot drinks at Molly Malone´s where Andy SP and Julie were allowed to pour Guinness in a proper way or on Monday we all went to the Bodeguilla bar to have beer, Rioja and tapas. Some people even managed to go to Vértice pub at 12 am.
On Tuesday at 7 am Ashley, who in spite of having slept very little, came with me for a hilly run near the Alcazaba and the old town from where we saw the sun rise in Cabo de Gata.

I had a fantastic time with the RC amigos and my local friends.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

13-02-2012, 11:01 PM,
You did extremely well to complete the full half marathon course after such an early set-back. Although I didn't appreciate it at 7am I really enjoyed our early morning run to the Alcazaba. Watching the sun rise over the city from such a great vantage point was wonderful. Thank you again for a lovely weekend and I hope to see you in April when I come to Almeria on my way to Arbeloa. Saludos desde snowy Lewes.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

06-04-2012, 07:57 PM,
Antonio, what's the story behind the Worcester half then? My sister lives just up the road in Kidderminster and both her boys were born in Worcester. I didn't even know they had a half marathon there...
06-04-2012, 08:45 PM,
(06-04-2012, 07:57 PM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote: Antonio, what's the story behind the Worcester half then? My sister lives just up the road in Kidderminster and both her boys were born in Worcester. I didn't even know they had a half marathon there...

Well, it´s a new marathon and half marathon held on Sunday 15th April.

http://www.thresholdevents.co.uk/running...rathon.php

I´m going with a friend of mine. He wanted to do Brighton marathon but the race numbers are sold so quickly that when we decided to take part in a race, it was impossible. So, I found this one.He´s going to do the full marathon, which will be his first one, but I´m doing the half since I don´t feel fit enough for the marathon. Actually, I´m having some pain in my left knee lately, which may prevent me from doing the whole half marathon.

We´re going to stay at the Premier Inn hotel, near the start and finish at the rugby stadium.

We´re leaving on Saturday and before getting to Worcester we would like to see the Cotswolds a little. By the way, I´d appreciate if the people who know the area could suggest a route to do from Gatwick airport to Worcester visiting the most interesting places in the Cotswolds.

It would be great if you were in the area and could take part in the race as well, B.B. So we could meet personally. By the way, congratulations on your running achievements and the beautiful poetry in your reports.

Saludos desde Almería