Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
June June there is no spoon.
04-06-2011, 02:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-06-2011, 02:24 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
June June there is no spoon.
May has come and gone and a pretty good running month it was for MLC Man. Not the hugest number of runs (18) due to a bit of illness messing with the plan, but 137 kilometres covered with some good long runs and tough hilly workouts.

June therefore has every chance of being an even better month, and has already begun well with four runs in the first four days: one easy 5km, a tough hill repeats session and two hard street runs (one at PB pace!) for a total of 27 quality kilometres.

I've now added the monster City to Surf 14km fun run on August 14 to the training schedule. I say monster because last year it attracted 80,000 entrants, and already has 55,000 entrants so far this year with about 9 weeks to go until race day. They have six starting pens which are graded according to qualifying times with each pen starting at different times to ease the otherwise obvious congestion. My recent half mara time amazingly qualified me for start in the second wave, which is great, so hopefully it won't be too congested and I won't be trying to overtake slower fun runners. There's a nice 2km hill climb in there, too.

So, onwards and upwards (almost literally) dear friends.

Big Grin
Run. Just run.
05-06-2011, 07:10 PM,
RE: June June there is no spoon.
Rounded out the first week of June with an easy 13km, making it another 40km week, which is exactly what I need at the moment.

Feeling good except for a sore left knee which I managed to jar whilst helping my son move furniture on Saturday. You know the drill: big solid very heavy wardrobe, small door, tight corners... not good for knees or backs. However I think I've got away with it. Nothing too serious anyhow. Certainly the run didn't make it any worse which is the main thing.

It was good to get the longish run in though as I've a heavy week at work which will most likely eat into the running somewhat. A step back week is probably warranted now anyhow.

We shall see what the week brings.

[Image: moving_20cartoon-262x300.jpg]
Run. Just run.
05-06-2011, 09:57 PM,
(04-06-2011, 02:21 AM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: I say monster because last year it attracted 80,000 entrants, and already has 55,000 entrants so far this year with about 9 weeks to go until race day.
Big Grin

JawJaw
07-06-2011, 12:47 PM,
Good work there mate. By contrast I've had another poor week, working in Antwerp were running through the streets will get you honked at, mugged, run over or arrested. I have the runners and may yet venture to a local park *makes sign of the cross, looks up*

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

07-06-2011, 03:58 PM,
Yes, bravo MLCM. You're definitley on-a-roll. But, like you say, step-backs are a big part of any forward momentum; however, strange that may feel at the time.

Even I managed a couple of 5k races last month and have a hilly 5 miler in a couple of days time.
07-06-2011, 10:33 PM,
(07-06-2011, 12:47 PM)Sweder Wrote: ... working in Antwerp where running through the streets will get you honked at, mugged, run over or arrested.

Geez, you'd expect better from an Olympic city wouldn't you? OK so it was 89 years ago... still, bad karma man. Undecided
Run. Just run.
07-06-2011, 10:34 PM,
(07-06-2011, 03:58 PM)glaconman Wrote: I managed a couple of 5k races last month and have a hilly 5 miler in a couple of days time.

Yay! Don't forget to write it all up, Iceman. Blah
Run. Just run.
14-06-2011, 11:02 AM,
(07-06-2011, 10:34 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:
(07-06-2011, 03:58 PM)glaconman Wrote: I managed a couple of 5k races last month and have a hilly 5 miler in a couple of days time.

Yay! Don't forget to write it all up, Iceman. Blah

Not much to report MLCM. The 5ks were part of series near where i work. Mrs G threw some footage together here. I managed 17:52 I think. Not a bad opening account to the summer considering how fat and knackered I feel. The 5 miler was brutal and destroyed me but I managed to run hard to the end. Here we go again Big Grin
14-06-2011, 11:12 AM,
(14-06-2011, 11:02 AM)glaconman Wrote: I managed 17:52 I think.

Christ. 17:52 at 'fat and knackered'?
That's depressing.

14-06-2011, 01:25 PM,
Well, these things are pretty subjective Swede. If you saw me hobbling into the bathroom the next morning you might not disagree with the description. Smile Certainly when you're managing an injury, despite being able to get out x3/week, you never really feel like you're in great shape because of the fallout from an effort.
15-06-2011, 01:26 PM,
(14-06-2011, 01:25 PM)glaconman Wrote: Well, these things are pretty subjective Swede. If you saw me hobbling into the bathroom the next morning you might not disagree with the description. Smile Certainly when you're managing an injury, despite being able to get out x3/week, you never really feel like you're in great shape because of the fallout from an effort.

Sorry mate, but sub-18 for 5k is pretty fucking phenomenal by anyone's standards, and little short of miraculous in this space.

Remind me to never steal anything from you.
Run. Just run.
15-06-2011, 03:24 PM,
You're in a particularly straight-talking mood today MLCM Big Grin

OK let me stick-my-neck-out then. As everybody needs a challenge (and you've certainly given yourself one with PTP), I reckon I can go sub-17 by the time you get to Wrest Point in November.
16-06-2011, 03:11 PM,
Boxing Fighting talk. Excellent!

20-06-2011, 12:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 22-06-2011, 12:41 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
With my running kit through Mordor, or: Three days in the Blue Mountains
So, after a week and a half of outrageous work commitments, a weekend wedding out of town and a bout of man-flu, I was ready for a bit of a break. Mrs MLCM and I had intended to spend a few days up north in a warmer climate with a nice beach somewhere, but flight chaos caused by Chilean volcanic ash clouds and road chaos caused by flooding up north put paid to that idea, and so instead we opted for three days in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney. This of course presented an ideal opportunity for some serious mountain training which could just not be missed.

The Blue Mountains consist principally of a large sandstone plateau cut through with gorges up to 760 metres deep. Most of the townships are high up on ridges, with incredible views from numerous lookouts on the escarpments overlooking dense eucalypt rainforest. The area is renowned for its beauty and the bushwalking is as arduous as it is spectacular. It also, of course, presents plenty of challenges for the runner. Challenges which I just couldn't let pass. Of course. :-)

Day 1: Awoke early in the family holiday home at Blackheath (a local aboriginal word meaning "We'll have none of those pretentious nostalgic pommie place names around here thank you very much") and immediately changed into running gear and trotted out to be confronted with a frigid 3 degree dawn. At an altitude of 1,065 metres, Blackheath is often far colder in winter than this, so I figured I could hardly back out now, lest the weather only worsen later on (complete white-outs and thick snow are not uncommon). None the less, after a relatively mild Sydney winter, even +3 degrees was a bit of a shock to the system.

I opted for this first day a reasonably simple run down to the local lookout and back, a total of just over 7km. The run out was cold but surprisingly comfortable. Upon turning around at the far end however I quickly discovered the run out had been slightly downhill, so now I was running uphill and into a stiffish breeze, which of course had an associated wind chill factor to make it all the more miserable. Despite (or because of) this I returned home in good time and resolved to find something longer and tougher for the next day. With this in mind Mrs MLCM and I went out scouting suitable off-road trails, interspersed with sporadic retreats to coffee shops for revitalising mugs of coffee. One promising looking trail showed itself and a plan was hatched. However that night I went to bed with a gale howling mournfully through the power lines, a plummeting thermometer and so I fell asleep thinking the chance of an early run looked decidely less likely as the bad weather closed in.

Day 2: Awoke at dawn again to find that the wind though still strong had abated from its savagery of the previous evening. To my great surprise I was out of bed and in my running gear in a flash, resolving to get the run under way. The thermometer registered a solitary one degree, with the wind chill well below that. On top of the big chill, my ancient steam-driven Garmin 201 was having difficulty finding the satellites and I had to give it a full reset, requiring several minutes of hypothermia-inducing standing around waiting for the technology to do its thing. When finally set, I was so cold I almost opted to run in a beanie and a long-sleeve top, however I plodded away in just the regular t-shirt and shorts and within a few hundred metres was glad I had done so. I heat up very quickly and despite hating the cold have always found in the past a run in anything more than a T-shirt always results in me turning back within a few hundred metres to divest myself of needless layers. But the waiting around at the start ... man I hate that!

The plan was a good one - or so I thought - run down the road to the same lookout I ran to yesterday, but then turn northward along the cliff top track for 2.5km until reaching another track branching westwards up a gully before reaching a fire trail that runs uphill towards a ridge and back along the road toward home. The run out was all good; I felt fine and despite the severe wind chill it felt great to be out there. Pockets of thick frost had developed in the areas sheltered from the wind, and the local golf course had whites rather than greens, but in all the first part of the run felt great. The few enswaddled people about at that hour looked at my T-shirted self in shock - even the two other runners I passed were wearing compression tights, long sleeve tops and beanies, but I felt fine and after the first kilometre was toasty warm and enjoying it immensely. Upon reaching the end of the road and turning onto the cliff top track however I discovered my first error. I had assumed (and I generally try to avoid assumptions, as a rule) that the cliff top track would be relatively flat. I don't know why I thought that, but I did. Of course the truth was otherwise - the cliff I was running along was gouged by deep ravines, with the track descending and ascending steeply and constantly. Great training of course, but unexpected and therefore cruelly demotivating.

My second mistake became obvious as soon as I hit the dirt/mud track - I'd come out in my brand new Brooks Adrenaline road-running shoes instead of my off-roaders. Oh well, no point turning around now, so on I plunged. Just about literally, as it turned out.

When I eventually reached the junction I was looking for and turned up the gully track as planned, I found it steep, muddy and essentially un-runable. It took me 15 minutes to cover the 1.4 kilometres to the fire trail, which was then too steep to run up after my struggles in the mud. Eventually of course I reached the road and managed to jog home again, but the 11 kilometres covered that morning were probably the hardest I've covered in this campaign.

Day 3: After the exertions of day two (which included a further 12km of mountain bushwalking in the afternoon) I decided to forego any more off-road running and do a long slow run on the sealed roads around Blackheath. It would still be undulating but at least I would escape the worst of the mud. I settled on a 17km course and awoke before dawn to find the temperature a balmy 2 degrees and relatively calm. I nearly swapped the T-shirt for a singlet, but headed out in short sleeves and found conditions quite pleasant. Being less windy there was more frost about, and as I headed through the township I found cars caked in ice. From home to Govett's Leap lookout was a 10km ropund trip, to which I planned to add the 7km return trip to the nearer Evans Lookout. I was in good form, belting up the hills and finding the ones I had expected to struggle with remarkably trouble-free. I struggled to keep my pace down, and was a little disturbed to complete the first 10km in a shade over 60 minutes. For a long slowie I knew this was too fast, especially over such undulating terrain, and from the 5km mark I was aware of a golf ball-sized knot that had developed in my left calf. I slowed down the pace for the second leg, but I think I had already pushed my luck just a tad too much. Just 200m short of home and on a not-particularly difficult final incline my left calf gave way - I've pulled that muscle many times before (in the years before prescription orthotics finally fixed my injury woes) and knew the feeling all too well. It felt like it just split vertically apart along a seam and all strength washed away and left a seering, pulsating pain that said "you idiot". I hobbled the last 200 metres home though, and then forced myself to walk a few hundred metres more. I knew if I just stopped that the leg would seize up completely and I'd be hobbling for days. I'm sure I did the right thing - the leg was sore and forced me to limp about for the rest of the day, but now, a day and a half later the pain has almost gone and I'm sure I'll be running again, if not tomorrow, certainly the day after. So, serious injury avoided, and I was well pleased with my time of 1h 44m for 17 tough, undulating and very cold kilometres.

So three days in the mountains, 35 kilometres run and nearly as many again walked in three trying days. Do I feel great? You bet, even with a still-sore left calf! Even so, on every hill I trudged up, I kept wondering if I could keep that up for 21.4 straight kilometres, as will be needed come November 20th. And the answer was always "No, not yet." But, I'm getting there, and it's a great journey and I'm looking forward immensely to the next part of the adventure.

Run. Just run.
20-06-2011, 01:12 PM,
(15-06-2011, 03:24 PM)glaconman Wrote: As everybody needs a challenge (and you've certainly given yourself one with PTP), I reckon I can go sub-17 by the time you get to Wrest Point in November.

Yes, way to go G'man! I've no doubt you can do it, too. Smile Already looking forward to the report!
Run. Just run.
20-06-2011, 01:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 20-06-2011, 01:15 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
(16-06-2011, 03:11 PM)Sweder Wrote: Boxing Fighting talk. Excellent!

'ken oath mate. You're on. Bump2
Run. Just run.
20-06-2011, 04:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 20-06-2011, 04:44 PM by El Gordo.)
Wow, you seem in unusually fine fettle, MLCM. Runningwise, a very profitable break. Well done. The main aim must be not to peak too soon. Always a danger when you have a distantish goal. Keep it steady, and you'll be giving those poms a run for their money in November.

---------------
Added -- Ah, and my 4000th post, I see. Glad it was expended on such a deserving case.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
20-06-2011, 10:39 PM,
(20-06-2011, 04:42 PM)El Gordo Wrote: The main aim must be not to peak too soon. Always a danger when you have a distantish goal.

Yes, very true. I still panic every time I struggle with a hill at the thought of the P2P "not far away", but the reality is it's still five whole months off. I'm three months into an eight month training campaign tough, and still have a long way to go. I'm under no illusions here - a half marathon all uphill at a good pace is no easy thing for me to do. I'm going to need each one of those remaining five months with very little slacking off allowed - as much a challenge as the race itself. Undecided

(20-06-2011, 04:42 PM)El Gordo Wrote: Added -- Ah, and my 4000th post, I see.

Well done Andy, that's a great effort on top of your front page musings, especially. Thumb
Run. Just run.
21-06-2011, 09:49 PM,
Great stuff MLCM, taking yourself off to a high altitude training camp is a serious development! Glad the injury seems minor, hope it clears up quickly. It might not be the last in this intensive year, so it's probably a timely reminder not to overdo it.
21-06-2011, 10:25 PM,
(20-06-2011, 10:39 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: .......I'm under no illusions here - a half marathon all uphill at a good pace is no easy thing for me to do. I'm going to need each one of those remaining five months with very little slacking off allowed - as much a challenge as the race itself. Undecided

I'm sure the great SP is taking his own training just as seriously... Confused
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Claire de June Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 5 1,079 21-06-2018, 10:04 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  High June Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 22 5,365 25-06-2017, 06:11 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  Once in a blue June. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 8 2,878 22-06-2016, 03:39 PM
  June June, There's That Bloody Spoon Again. Or Not. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 24 10,108 23-06-2015, 10:48 AM
Last Post: marathondan
  June in tune ... soon Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 6 2,642 29-06-2014, 07:32 AM
  June - so nearly a novel by Frank Herbert. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 3 2,065 11-06-2013, 06:16 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  Fly Me To The June Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 2 1,734 13-06-2012, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  June June Way Too Soon Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 19 7,729 26-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Last Post: El Gordo