Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Janathon 2011
03-01-2011, 08:48 PM,
Janathon 2011
Day 1

Herewith my blog for Janathon 2011.

It looks like it might be quite short.

In the last few days it’s become quite clear that adhering strictly to Janathon isn’t going to be good for me. I’m right on the initial ramp-up of a marathon training programme, I’m wondering if I’ve got plantar fasciitis, and I’ve successfully got through the coldest month of the winter flu-free, and would like to keep it that way. My normal marathon mantra is “less is more” – three runs a week, little or no cross training, plenty of recovery time and keep injury-free.

So, my plan is to stick to my three runs a week, try and blog something interesting most days, and maybe see if I can squeeze in a little cross-training.

Anyway, if any Janathoners have made it here after reading the 200+ daily blogs of Janathon, welcome to the Running Commentary forum. If you go to the main forum you’ll find an excellent range of training diaries more erudite than this one, not to mention the blog of the site’s founder, Andy. Actual running seems to be at a relatively low ebb across the site at present, but delve into the archives and you’ll find some of the best running writing on the web.

If you care to comment on any of posts, you’ll need to register with the forum. Please do, it’s quick and easy and you’ll be made very welcome in the community.
03-01-2011, 08:49 PM,
Day 2
My first run of 2011: the weekly long slow one. 7.5 suburban miles around my usual circuits, 9.30 pm, at just inside 4 hour marathon pace. Very comfortable, no noticeable twinges to ankles or heels, which is extremely encouraging. Audio courtesy of Radio 4: Beyond Belief, More Or Less and Thinking Allowed.

The only downer came later in the evening: freshly showered, I took the laptop to bed, set up my 2011 spreadsheet, and logged my last couple of runs. It was only then that I spotted that I was meant to run 9 miles rather than 7.5. Pretty annoying, considering that I could easily have managed another 1.5. Not much point trying to make it up in the midweek runs: they’ll be hard enough. The tempo session is already up to 5 miles, and the weekend long one will be 10. That’s come around really quickly.
03-01-2011, 08:50 PM,
Day 3
Occasional soreness in the left heel today, and a sore right Achilles. I think the latter is due to me trying to tread carefully on my right foot (i.e. strike more with the midsole) to protect the heel. All the more reason to recover and not run today.

CROSS TRAINING! In the pool, 100m backstroke towing 20 kg of child atop a foam turtle. Plus countless reps lifting said child onto the aforementioned polyurethane reptile.
05-01-2011, 07:49 AM,
Day 4
3+ miles fartlek at 10pm. Sprint intervals are never particularly appealing when I could instead be heading for the duvet with a good book (or even a good woman). But once I'd got out the door and warmed up, I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't too... unpleasant. Which probably means I could have pushed a bit harder. But it was a good session, and I could feel it doing me good.

The right achilles had been sore all day, but was loosened up by run-time and neither foot gave any problems during the run. I'm still sticking to left-to-right cambered pavements where possible.

3.25 miles, average pace 8:09
05-01-2011, 10:05 PM,
RE: Janathon 2011
Congratulations, Dan. You look quite fit in spite of the several discomforts you´re having lately.

It´s motivating to read about people training propertly.

Best of luck!

Saludos desde Almería

Antonio

06-01-2011, 09:54 AM,
Glad to see you are keeping things going on here, I'll be following your progress and here's wishing you a successful, injury free 2011!
06-01-2011, 10:05 AM,
(05-01-2011, 10:05 PM)anlu247 Wrote: It´s motivating to read about people training propertly.

You need to enter a marathon, Antonio - that will motivate you to train! Thanks for the good wishes, and the best of luck with your running (and everything else) for 2011.
06-01-2011, 12:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-01-2011, 07:28 AM by marathondan.)
Day 5
Monthly stats for 2010. Who says running is cyclical?

479 miles for the year. Probably enough for me, I think, given the niggles I'm experiencing. 2011 may be the year of the triathlon. A big birthday coming up, so an excuse to treat myself to some kit (and swimming lessons).

Incidentally, I see that fellow Janathoner and apparent stat enthusiast Lazy Girl Running has posted a similar chart - the main difference being her more impressive mileage total for the year.

Exercise: not a sausage. Although I did have sausages for dinner, thus compounding the problem.
06-01-2011, 03:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-01-2011, 03:14 PM by Antonio247.)
(06-01-2011, 10:05 AM)marathondan Wrote:
(05-01-2011, 10:05 PM)anlu247 Wrote: It´s motivating to read about people training propertly.

You need to enter a marathon, Antonio - that will motivate you to train! Thanks for the good wishes, and the best of luck with your running (and everything else) for 2011.

I wish I could enter a marathon again,Dan. However, my wife is very worried about that possibility. Actually, I told her I was going to take part in a half marathon in Connemara last year because she would have discouraged me.She thinks that running longer than a half marathon could cause me serious injuries or illness. So, I´ll just have to stick to the half marathon in order to avoid problems with her.

Best of luck with the Janathon and your training for Brighton marathon.

Saludos desde Almería

Antonio

06-01-2011, 10:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-01-2011, 10:30 PM by Bierzo Baggie.)
(06-01-2011, 03:14 PM)anlu247 Wrote:

I wish I could enter a marathon again,Dan. However, my wife is very worried about that possibility. Actually, I told her I was going to take part in a half marathon in Connemara last year because she would have discouraged me.She thinks that running longer than a half marathon could cause me serious injuries or illness. So, I´ll just have to stick to the half marathon in order to avoid problems with her.

mmmm, that sounds familiar. But I really think that sensible, non-obsessive running can only be good for mind, body and soul and you've always struck me as a sensible sort of runner Antonio. Good luck.. I know it's a tricky one, have you tried telling her about Julian Bernal?Wink
07-01-2011, 02:49 PM,
(06-01-2011, 10:30 PM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote:
(06-01-2011, 03:14 PM)anlu247 Wrote:

mmmm, that sounds familiar. But I really think that sensible, non-obsessive running can only be good for mind, body and soul and you've always struck me as a sensible sort of runner Antonio. Good luck.. I know it's a tricky one, have you tried telling her about Julian Bernal?Wink

Yes, I agree with you, BB. I think it is even better for the mind. I usually take it easy and train and compete trying to go at a pace at which I can enjoy and avoid injuries. Julián Bernal is a wonderful example for all of us. It would be great to be able to go for a run at a very old age.

Best of luck!

PS. Sorry, Dan, for kidnapping your thread.

10-01-2011, 07:27 AM,
Personally I've had success with running one marathon a year, based on running three times a week for about 4 months of the year, then only an average of around once per week for the rest of the year. I don't know if that approach would work for you. Or you could take inspiration from LadyRunner and take the run-walk approach.

But to go back to your original point, I find that if you want to train effectively, you need a goal. And if you are only running races for enjoyment, i.e. not trying to push for a particular performance, I think there is less motivation to train. I ran a 10K in September and set myself a definite time goal. I was therefore able to train consistently for about two months - without the goal, I wouldn't have bothered.

Perhaps the answer is to try different things: distances, terrain, etc, to keep the interest up. January is a good time for setting goals!

BTW, you are always welcome to hijack my threads!
10-01-2011, 07:36 AM,
Day 6
A bit of background for Janathon readers.

I'm fairly early on in the training programme for my fourth marathon. My mission is simple:

1. Complete the Brighton Marathon in less than five hours. Dressed as an 8-foot tall stick of rock.

2. Raise 2 grand for Cancer Research UK.

I use the Less Is More ™ training formula: three sessions a week (one long, one speed, one intervals), no cross training to speak of. Make each session count, work as hard as you can, get plenty of rest and stay injury-free.
10-01-2011, 12:31 PM,
Day 7
The training plan called for 5 miles, so that's what I did. I take the mid-length weekly session at tempo pace, which for me means a bit slower than 10K race pace. There was undoubtedly a time in my life when I'd have thought that going out running on a Friday night was for losers, but I'm pretty happy to fall into that category these days.

The night was milder than I thought, and around 10pm in January I found myself stripping off my hat, gloves and top layer, and completed the run in a t-shirt. Twinges in the right sole resurfaced, but they're not as intense as when they first started a couple of months ago, and I seem to be able to manage them by moving my footstrike slightly forward. Otherwise the session was a good one, coming home at an average 8:18 pace, including a stop to disrobe.
10-01-2011, 12:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-01-2011, 12:34 PM by marathondan.)
Day 8
Marathon costume construction: stage 1

I'm a little disappointed with the purchase, actually. My kids already have one of these, which sparked the idea, and it's made of very lightweight nylon, and fits nicely across my shoulders. The two I've bought to be sacrificed for the costume are of a slightly heavier material, and are around an inch narrower. Still, they were cheap. Once the armholes are made I should be able to fit in there fine. I will make it work and I will be there at the start line. Smile

10-01-2011, 12:37 PM,
Day 9
Today was the long slow one - my first double digit run of the campaign. It's become my custom to leave this run as late as possible on a Sunday night - mainly because it signifies the end of the weekend. So it was 10pm by the time I headed out the door for two laps of my regular 5 mile circuit. The temperature was noticeably lower tonight - heading for zero I reckon - and the stars were looking particularly impressive and clear. Although with my peaked cap I only saw them when I actively looked - maybe next time it will be worth the idiocy of wearing my cap backwards to enable the night-time vista to stray into my line of sight.

Overall, the run was pretty comforable and satisfactory. There were no noticeable foot twinges, which is excellent news. The last couple of miles are mostly an uphill pull, so at that stage a bit of fatigue began to set in. Audio accompaniment was again provided by Radio 4 podcasts. There's some interesting stuff talked about and it's a great distraction, but I wouldn't say I take much of it in.

Last year I got into the habit of switching to uptempo music for the last mile or so, but tonight I thought that as this was a long easy run, I would stick with spoken word till the end. But it turned out that the last podcast expired just before I got home, so with about half a mile to go, the avuncular strains of Laurie Taylor were replaced by the opening riff of Into The Blue. I was unable to resist stepping up to a fast pace, and I flew home with a big grin on my face. It was perhaps the first Marathon Moment of this season's training: when you're struggling and suddenly some external stimulus gives you a shot of pure adrenaline, and you can't help but be lifted.

Now I remember why I do it. Smile

9.8 miles at 3:52 marathon pace.
12-01-2011, 08:05 AM,
Day 10
Here's a piece we can all relate to, one way or another.

I start off hating him, but can't help liking him at least a bit by the end. Many of the commenters don't seem to get it.

And another piece of vitriol here.
12-01-2011, 08:08 AM,
Day 11
3 and a bit miles fartlek tonight. I must be getting back into the groove, because going out at 10pm on a week night for sprint intervals only seems a mild inconvenience now, rather than completely bonkers.

My right achilles seems permanently stiff when I'm sedentary, but once warmed up running gave no bother at all. Maybe I need to stretch it between runs - who'da thought it?

The session was comfortable, completed in 6 sec less than the identical route last week, so next week I should aim to push myself a bit harder.
18-01-2011, 01:11 PM,
Brighton 2011: Week 7 of 19
Well, I think the game is up for me as regards Janathon. From the outset it seemed it wasn't really for me: I've already set myself a challenge (marathon training), so why set another challenge on top of that?

And surprise surprise, generating an RSS feed by hand isn't a bundle of laughs. Maybe one day I'll write a script to do it automatically. Until then, my posts won't be going any further than the walls of this forum.

So, normal service of ad-hoc reports is hereby resumed.

And the news is: there isn't much news. I seem to have justified my reputation for consistency thus far: 20 out of 21 planned runs completed, 97% of target mileage achieved.

This week was completed with two more rain-lashed surburban outings, 5 miles tempo and 8 miles easy (step-back). Lovely running conditions. Next week we step up a gear, 12 miles for the easy and 6 for the tempo.

The dominant activity this week though, which relates to running but also to many more aspects of my life, was Mrs MD's & my trip to Newcastle for the funeral of our friend Brian, who died from pancreatic cancer two weeks ago at the age of just 45.

I won't attempt to reproduce the fantastic eulogy provided by the vicar, who knew him well for many years, but suffice to say he was the very definition of a larger-than-life character; talented, generous and fun, and someone all who knew him would aspire to emulate in some way.

The committal service at the crem was family-only, so we didn't attend that part. But if I understand certain Facebook comments correctly, his mortal remains were sent forth to the strains of Disco Inferno (Burn Baby Burn). I think I need tell you no more about the man.

As soon as he was diagnosed last summer, Brian threw himself into fundraising for Cancer Research UK, hence my decision to run for them in Brighton and help his efforts. The last time we saw him he (actually his friend Paul) came up with the stick of rock idea. I'll be proud to carry a small part of his legacy on April 10th, by dressing up like a complete idiot, subjecting myself to considerable distress, and hopefully raising a few smiles.

Thanks for everything, mate.
18-01-2011, 02:12 PM,
Go to it Dan, I'm sure you'll look splendid in sugar pink and it will be a worthy way of rmembering your friend and raising some cash into the bargain. See you there.
Phew this is hard work !

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The rest of 2011 - between marathons marathondan 73 80,067 28-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  Brighton Marathon 2011 marathondan 16 17,362 08-05-2011, 07:24 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  April 2011 marathondan 35 29,702 21-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Last Post: Bierzo Baggie
  March 2011 marathondan 21 24,836 31-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Last Post: ladyrunner
  February 2011 marathondan 19 23,869 04-03-2011, 02:42 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man