Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Future Starts Yesterday
15-10-2008, 09:32 AM,
That's funny - it translated like this for me:

In cunning than the last term of the night. Total [nepredvideno] at the end, but as soon be solved. I am very happy and [ping] all night. He pointed out that some of the movies to eat lettuce and other materials. If you are home late at night, finally collapsed in bed at 3 o'clock, was found at the rear of Sweden, sent the letter, I sleep for increases again. What the hell! . No matter, this message will not give in one way or another.
Run. Just run.
15-10-2008, 05:47 PM,
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:That's funny - it translated like this for me:

........ was found at the rear of Sweden ...............

Not sure I like your translation MLC. :mad:
23-10-2008, 11:37 AM,
How's it going SP? Haven't heard much from you recently... Confused

Hope you're managing to get out there to put the new shoes through their paces.

Almeria expects....
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
23-10-2008, 12:42 PM,
Yep I'm still getting out there, still building up a bit of stamina.

In fact I was out last night....or I should say 'in' as last night was a gym session. Around 35 sweat-laden minutes on the treddy, followed by 10 or so on the bike, followed by 30 lengths of the pool.

I say 'around 35' minutes, because half way through I hopped off to get a drink and hit the 'pause' button to stop the belt, but somehow managed to hit the wrong button on re-start and the bloody thing reset itself.

Just a couple of walk breaks in there but I still have the enthusiasm to improve sufficiently to ghost past El G in Almeria. Pity I don't have the same enthusiasm for writing about it at the moment.

That may come when the distances crank up but at the moment, I'm almost at the stage where I can run for 30 minutes.

People I don't see regularly do tell me I'm looking svelter than of late. Mrs Sweder for one, although I suspect she was just humouring me. Sad

Playing loads of indoor tennis at the moment - around 3 times a week at 2 hours a pop. The hall is like a sauna but regrettably the pub tends to replace lost fluids.
23-10-2008, 12:48 PM,
Seafront Plodder Wrote:People I don't see regularly do tell me I'm looking svelter than of late. Mrs Sweder for one, although I suspect she was just humouring me. Sad

Oh, I only just got the joke. I was about to comment on your avatar when I realised ... the otherwise svelt Simon Pegg's last flick was Run Fat Boy, Run wasn't it?

Smile
Run. Just run.
23-10-2008, 12:57 PM,
This weekend I'm off to see The Comedy Store Players. http://www.comedystoreplayers.com/

I wonder whether laughing like a drain for two hours counts as cross training? Big Grin
23-10-2008, 02:53 PM,
Seafront Plodder Wrote:Just a couple of walk breaks in there but I still have the enthusiasm to improve sufficiently to ghost past El G in Almeria.

Music to my ears.

I still have the bitter memory of you remaining a couple of hundred yards in front of me for almost the entire Almeria Half in 2005, without me able to catch up. I've waited a long time for revenge.....

Attached Files
.jpg   revenge.jpg (Size: 26.58 KB / Downloads: 57)
El Gordo

29-10-2008, 01:45 PM,
Out for a gentle 2 miles in the pissing rain last night.

I could have gone on, but for two reasons. The 2 mile mark clicked around exactly outside my front door, and by then, C had had enough.

She arrived after work yesterday clutching a cheque with my name on it. "This is for when you book Almeria" she said. Blimey, so she's committed Rolleyes then. It's likely her goal will be the 10 (or 13)k. My options are open at the moment; for whilst I'd relish the challenge of tearing up El G again, my sporadic running schedule needs a serious kick up the arse to make the 1/2. Sweat-laden indoor tennis is one thing, but we all know there's no substitute for pounding the roads. We'll see.

We finished off the evening seeing the new Clooney/Pitt lovey fest Burn After Reading. Now don't get me wrong,there is some decent acting going on, not least from the excellent Frances McDormand. Shame the Coen Brothers thought that the cast would carry the film and forgot to insert a decent plot. Trust me - two hours of your life you'll never get back.
29-10-2008, 02:21 PM,
Damn! I was looking forward to watching that Sad
Still, I've got the BlueRay DVD edition of Iron Man waiting for me when I get home tonight. Now there's quality!!! Big Grin

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

29-10-2008, 03:11 PM,
Kermode gave a hearty thumbs down to it too. I know, don't always go with the critics, but I trust him more than most. He's a big Coen Bros fan normally.

It's the title that gets me. I'm always telling people I live "along the M4, just after Reading". So "Burn After Reading" sounds like another village that should be in my immediate vicinity.

We should warn SP that the Almeria version of the 10K is almost as long as the half marathon... Big Grin
El Gordo

02-11-2008, 06:06 PM,
A severe Rolleyes dose of manflu has put paid to any running I might have planned to do over this weekend.

Still, I cross-trained by sitting in front of the fire this afternoon watching St Paula destroy the field to win her 3rd New York Marathon.

She led from the gun, gradually losing all those who dared to maintain her relentless pace, eventually winning by almost 2 minutes. Superb demonstration of power running, and leaves me in no doubt that she's back to something like her best. Time wasn't quick (as they were running into a 28 KM headwind for over half of the course), but it was the manner in which she dominated throughout. Excellent stuff. I feel knackered now.

I hadn't realised this, but she's now run 10 major marathons and won 8. The only two she's failed to win? .....yep, the last two Olympic Games. Sad
02-11-2008, 06:24 PM,
Seafront Plodder Wrote:A severe Rolleyes dose of manflu has put paid to any running I might have planned to do over this weekend.

Still, I cross-trained by sitting in front of the fire this afternoon watching St Paula destroy the field to win her 3rd New York Marathon.

She led from the gun, gradually losing all those who dared to maintain her relentless pace, eventually winning by almost 2 minutes. Superb demonstration of power running, and leaves me in no doubt that she's back to something like her best. Time wasn't quick (as they were running into a 28 KM headwind for over half of the course), but it was the manner in which she dominated throughout. Excellent stuff. I feel knackered now.

I hadn't realised this, but she's now run 10 major marathons and won 8. The only two she's failed to win? .....yep, the last two Olympic Games. Sad

Sorry to hear about the man flu, SP. Let's hope you're getting the sympathy and TLC that we chaps need in these traumatic situations.

I was also sorry to read about Paula.... but only because I've been desperately trying to avoid hearing the result, Likely Lads style, and looking forward to catching the highlights this evening without knowing what happened. But it's not your fault -- it's pretty reasonable to post the story on a running forum. Anyway, I'm delighted she won, and will still watch it.
El Gordo

02-11-2008, 08:21 PM,
I caught the last 20 minutes . . . she was in a class of her own, truly inspirational. I too feel terribly sorry for her that the last two Olympics proved beyond her. There's always 2012, but it's a long shot given that new talent will emerge between now and then.

I then watched the breathless finish to the F1 championship from Interlagos.
That was an altogether more tense and in the end bizarre affair, Hamilton taking the World Championship (the youngest driver ever to do so) by a single point thanks to another driver (Glock) staying out in the rain on slick tyres. Massa crossed the line as world champion only for Hamilton to slide past Glock on the penultimate corner to claim the 4 points he needed to win.

If I'm honest I don't care for forumla 1, partly because of the pheonomenal sums teams needs to compete (Mclaren survived a 100 million dollar penalty last year) but mostly because it's ruled over by a Grey-haired Oompah Lumpah who seems to run things according to which side of the bed he climbs out on. The political nonsense that almost cost Hamilton the title bordered on farce, revealing the sports' bare-faced ass-kissing patronage of Ferrari and making itself a laughing stock amongst fans of a genuine and fair contest.

The scenes tonight of the Ferrari mechanics and assorted appended glitterati celebrating wildly only to be told by a man in a red fireproof suit, live on television, that Hamilton had passed Glock to snatch the title really have to be seen to be believed. They reminded me (inevitably) of Lauthar Matteaus's face as he watched, freshly applauded off the field at the Camp Nou, his superior (for 89 minutes at least) Bayern Munich team mates hand the European Cup to the Rowdies.

His look of slack-jawed disbelief will stay with me to the grave.

Attached Files
.jpg   LautherMatteus.jpg (Size: 10.82 KB / Downloads: 41)

14-11-2008, 12:02 PM,
No running to report of late as manflu has dragged on a bit.

Still I'm almost back to fighting fitness and somehow the weight is remaining off.

Intend to be out tomorrow for a plod, just so I don't feel quite so guilty come Sunday when I snap the RC'ers tearing up the Brighton 10K course.

I say intend, because Sweder has just emailed me and insist that I join him for a beer tonight. And just so you non-believers don't continue to think that it's me who does all the insisting (you know who you are MLCM Big Grin ), I've taken the trouble to attach the section of said email as proof. As if it were needed. Rolleyes

So I may or may not go out for a run tomorrow, and therefore the continuation of my "no running news" may err...continue.

Attached Files
.pdf   beer.pdf (Size: 84.04 KB / Downloads: 18)
14-11-2008, 12:26 PM,
Seafront Plodder Wrote:(you know who you are MLCM Big Grin )

Who? Me??

It's not true - I just sit at the back and don't cause anyone any trouble.
Run. Just run.
09-12-2008, 04:26 PM,
Hello???

Attached Files
.jpg   tumbleweed.jpg (Size: 92.5 KB / Downloads: 27)

09-12-2008, 05:05 PM,
Hello. Big Grin
09-12-2008, 08:47 PM,
...until I had an accident in the desert of Sahara, six years ago. Something was broken in my motor. And as I had with me neither a mechanic nor any passengers, I set myself to attempt, all alone, the difficult repairs. It was a question of life or death for me: I had scarcely enough drinking water to last a week.
The first night, then, I went to sleep on the sand, a thousand miles from any human habitation. I was more isolated than a shipwrecked sailor on a raft in the middle of the ocean. Thus you can imagine my surprise, at sunrise, when I was awakened by an odd little voice. It said:
  • - If you please...draw me a sheep !
    - What !
    - Draw me a sheep...
Ana Smile
09-12-2008, 10:04 PM,
Eek it's like a ray of warm cyber sunshine.
Barking, but entirely welcome and sorely missed Big Grin

09-12-2008, 11:55 PM,
Ana Wrote:...until I had an accident in the desert of Sahara, six years ago. Something was broken in my motor. And as I had with me neither a mechanic nor any passengers, I set myself to attempt, all alone, the difficult repairs. It was a question of life or death for me: I had scarcely enough drinking water to last a week.

The first night, then, I went to sleep on the sand, a thousand miles from any human habitation. I was more isolated than a shipwrecked sailor on a raft in the middle of the ocean. Thus you can imagine my surprise, at sunrise, when I was awakened by an odd little voice. It said:
  • - If you please...draw me a sheep !
    - What !
    - Draw me a sheep...

Just wonderful. Why can't I write like this?
El Gordo