Recovery runs
23-11-2010, 01:04 PM,
Recovery runs
A question on Rose's blog got me wondering about the science of recovery runs. As usual, I don't have time for proper science, so I consulted Google instead. Blush

There are a number of opinions out there.

This one is particularly interesting:

"The truth is that lactic acid levels return to normal within an hour after even the most brutal workouts. Nor does lactic acid cause muscle fatigue in the first place. Nor is there any evidence that the sort of light activity that a recovery run entails promotes muscle tissue repair, glycogen replenishment or any other physiological response that is actually relevant to muscle recovery.

In short, recovery runs do not enhance recovery. Nevertheless, recovery runs are almost universally practiced by top runners. That wouldn't be the case if this type of workout weren't beneficial. So what is the real benefit of recovery runs? The real benefit of recovery runs is that they increase your fitness--perhaps almost as much as longer, faster runs do--by challenging you to run in a pre-fatigued state (i.e. a state of lingering fatigue from previous training.)

There is evidence that fitness adaptations occur not so much in proportion to how much time you spend exercising but rather in proportion to how much time you spend exercising beyond the point of initial fatigue in workouts. So-called key workouts (runs that are challenging in their pace or duration) boost fitness by taking your body well beyond the point of initial fatigue.

Recovery workouts, on the other hand, are performed entirely in a fatigued state, and therefore also boost fitness despite being shorter and/or slower than key workouts.

[...]

Additional research has shown that when athletes begin a workout with energy-depleted muscle fibers and lingering muscle damage from previous training, the brain alters the muscle recruitment patterns used to produce movement. Essentially, the brain tries to avoid using the worn-out muscle fibers and instead involves fresher muscle fibers that are less worn out precisely because they are less preferred under normal conditions. "

Interesting stuff. I think we often use the throwaway term "recovery run" (and also banter about lactic acid) without really knowing what they mean.

Incidentally, I love the Copenhagen study described in the link. I imagine some poor bastard running round in circles at the end of it...Big Grin

At the end of the day though, this part is all I need to know:

If you run just three times per week, each run should be a "key workout" followed by a day off. Sorted. Tongue
23-11-2010, 04:08 PM,
RE: Recovery runs
This is an important subject I think Dan.

I'm convinced that going out 3 times a week and running as hard as you can is not the way to go. I got away with it for 12 months but have done little running since March Sad

It's abit like having just 2 settings on your volume control: 0 and 11. When what you should be doing is allowing your body to adapt gradually and varying the intensity according to how you feel.

When (if) I'm able to get back into my running I'm going to make room for easy, moderate and hard runs. And stick to the 10% rule (only increase intensity or distance by 10%; and never both at the same time).

My current thinking anyway.

You gearing-up for that 10-miler?
24-11-2010, 09:15 PM,
I agree that running as hard as you can 3 times a week isn't good. But my normal weekly mix (when in proper training mode, now right now I hasten to add) is one fartlek / hill session, one tempo session (with warmup and cooldown) and one long slow. They're all "quality" sessions but not necessarily "hard" sessions. So I believe there is limited benefit to adding recovery runs into the mix -- unless, according to the article I linked to -- I want to add some "energy-depleted" sessions for additional muscle development.

Sorry to hear you're not running much -- you were making such fantastic progress. Is gentle running, purely for pleasure, an option? (Physically and mentally?) Here's hoping for a better 2011.

10-miler -- no, currently chilling out prior to marathon training warmup in December, and then the full marathon programme from around Xmas.
25-11-2010, 02:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 25-11-2010, 02:50 AM by Sweder.)
Great post Dan.
I like recovery runs (or in the case of Connemara, El Cuckoo's 2 hour saunter up Croag Patrick). I call it 'spinning the legs' or 'shaking off the rust', neither phrase standing up to any form of scientific scrutiny. In Almeria we followed a tough, hard-surface half marathon with a 10k slog up and down dirt trails. Sure enough it hurt like hell at first but I admit I felt pretty darned good by the end of it.

Somehow it helps me to get out there soon after a brutal session. I've never thought of these as a way to deal with lactic acid so the findings above don't disappoint. I've always seen them as a way to stretch tightening legs, infuse bruised and torn muscles with restorative, oxygenated blood and, perhaps best of all, a way to warm up before having that proper stretch that I avoided immediately after the previous run.

'Running on tired legs' is the great mantra espoused by Sam 'Yoda' Lambourne. Sam runs track sessions at Withdean, timing 200, 300 and 400 metre reps for an hour before tagging on a four-lap finish 'as hard as you can manage'. The idea is to batter the legs with the short sprinted reps before 'teaching' them to run on when knackered. This is as much about the mental aspect as muscle development. On long runs he will cycle up behind people he deems to be running well in the last stages and bark orders to put the hammer down, again to run hard on tiring legs, all the way to the finish.

On the 3 runs per week (chance would be a fine thing just now) I tend to mix it up on each run, varying the amount of hard running I do through Fartlek/ running the hills as hard as possible and recovering on the downslopes. The best advice I've heard is 'listen to your body' - if you feel like pushing hard, do it. If not, don't. I reckon that's good advice for the keen amateur.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

25-11-2010, 12:24 PM,
Cheers Dan. I'm hoping 2011 will be alot better.

My feet are battered having had bad Plantar Fasciitis on both, Metatarsals are sore and more besides. I've decided just to stop running until my feet are back to a healthier state. Then do things very differently. First stop South India at Christmas for some Ayervedic Massage Smile

Good luck with the marathon training, whatever you decide. Sweder's right, schedules and plans are a good guide; but energy levels fluctuate so always do the right run for how you're feeling.
28-11-2010, 12:58 PM,
(25-11-2010, 12:24 PM)glaconman Wrote: My feet are battered having had bad Plantar Fasciitis on both, Metatarsals are sore and more besides. I've decided just to stop running until my feet are back to a healthier state.

Good luck with the recovery G-Man.
Without wishing to sound like a paid advocate for Vibrams (I'm not) have you tried barefoot running? The latter part of Born to Run addresses these very issues. A change to barefoot running (if done gradually with very gentle increases in distance) can change the shape of and natural strength in your feet. Some people actually drop a shoe size as their arches develop and the musculature of their feet develops. Crazy stuff.

I had PF last year. It's bloody horrible and takes an age to get over.
Using the FiveFingers, together with a 'lsiten to your body'/ less-is-more strategy, has helped me stay injury-free for the past year. Now if only I could find a way to avoid my annual chest infection/ bout of man flu I'd be flying high ...

30-11-2010, 10:07 AM,
Thanks for the good wishes and advice Sweder.

I agree with the barefoot idea in theory and as a long-term strategy. I did buy some some VFFs with a view to this.

Prior to getting injured there was alot going on with my running, so it's difficult to unpick it all.

My feeling is that barefoot running and foot strengthening is not something I should try whilst injured but after normal running has been resumed. And, as you say, in a controlled way. Meanwhile, being barefoot would seem to exacerbate PF.

But life goes on. I've bought a new road bike, although it's not the best time of the year to be going out. Although I cycled into work today on the mountain bike, through the snow, and it was alot of fun.

And we're making a short film on night-time fell running. Yes, you read that correctly. I was stood on Great Whernside last Wednesday night watching a line of headtorches snaking up to the summit and it was a mesmerizing sight. In fact just walking up there in the dark and on my own was itself a great experience. Not something I've done much of in the past. We even persauded the legendary Ian Holmes to run the race with a camera strapped to his head. So it should be interesting viewing when it's finished.

I recommend getting yourself a headtorch (I've got the 2 LED Hope; I think it's about 240 lumen) and give it a go Sweder. Off road running at night is a whole new world. Just make sure you stick to inland routes when it's foggy.
30-11-2010, 12:00 PM,
(30-11-2010, 10:07 AM)glaconman Wrote: I recommend getting yourself a headtorch (I've got the 2 LED Hope; I think it's about 240 lumen) and give it a go Sweder. Off road running at night is a whole new world. Just make sure you stick to inland routes when it's foggy.

Agree totally re: PF - BF would only make that worse. I suffered a nasty bout of PF about 18 months ago which prompted me to look at BF running in the first place. It may be coincidence but since I started mixing in the BF (frantically searches for wood to touch) I've not been injured at all.

Night running really appeals G-Man. I occasionally dance in the twilight across my local hills, racing the darkness on the return leg after chasing the setting sun into the west. I've not tried a head torch. I imagine the bobbing light might make one a little seasick at first. On my 'to do list' now, thanks.

30-11-2010, 12:23 PM,
It's good to know that you made a full recovery (grasps desk just to make sure). It's one of those injuries where it's difficult to see an end to it.

Mine was £170 which is alot to splash out on a torch. Actually 480 lumens though:

http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG66

But for a busy man like yourself it really extends the time you have available. Particularly in winter. Then there's the experience of being on the hills at night. Any decent bike shop will stock them and they come with a full head harness for running.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trail runs for 2007 CJD 1 1,483 29-08-2006, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  Looking for a new way to measure your runs? Tim 0 1,091 08-07-2005, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Tim
  Recovery run - how long? Seafront Plodder 6 2,673 11-01-2005, 01:09 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man