British heat wave?!?
09-07-2010, 11:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-07-2010, 11:52 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
British heat wave?!?
From the local news service:

Brits set to suffer heatwave
By Rachael Brown

British officials have issued a health alert as the country braces itself for a heatwave this weekend.

Authorities fear the unusually high temperature of 31 degrees could leave people vulnerable to heat-stroke.

The first of the UK's weather health alerts have been issued, with temperatures expected to reach 31 degrees across east Anglia and south-east England.

The Meteorology Office says the biggest health risk will be the stifling night time temperatures of at least 20 degrees in some places.

The National Health Service is advising people on how to keep themselves and their homes cool.

This is a joke, right?
Run. Just run.
10-07-2010, 08:48 AM,
RE: British heat wave?!?
(09-07-2010, 11:51 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: From the local news service:

Brits set to suffer heatwave
By Rachael Brown

British officials have issued a health alert as the country braces itself for a heatwave this weekend.

Authorities fear the unusually high temperature of 31 degrees could leave people vulnerable to heat-stroke.

The first of the UK's weather health alerts have been issued, with temperatures expected to reach 31 degrees across east Anglia and south-east England.

The Meteorology Office says the biggest health risk will be the stifling night time temperatures of at least 20 degrees in some places.

The National Health Service is advising people on how to keep themselves and their homes cool.

This is a joke, right?

Phew, what a scorcher. This is no joke. Here is some more advice recently issued by the Department of Health:

"Move somewhere cool and drink plenty of water or fruit juice. If possible, take a lukewarm shower, or sponge yourself with cold water. If symptoms are of concern, call NHS Direct or your Doctor."

Want more? Here you are:

Steps to take during a heatwave

Listen to bulletins on radio and television and follow health advice.
Keep out of the heat

* Try to plan your day in a way that allows you to stay out of the heat.
* If possible, avoid going out in the hottest part of the day (11am - 3pm).
* If you cannot avoid strenuous activity like sport, DIY, or gardening, keep it for the cooler parts of the day such as early morning.
* If you must go out, stay in the shade. Wear a hat and light loose fitting clothes, preferably cotton. If you will be outside for some time, take plenty of water with you.

Stay cool

* If you can, stay inside, in the coolest rooms in the house.
* Reduce heat form sunlight coming through the windows. External shading, e.g. shutters, is best. Metal blinds and dark curtains may absorb heat and make the room warmer – replace with curtains with white lining to reflect heat.
* Keep windows closed while the room is cooler than it is outside and open them when the temperature inside rises, and at night for ventilation. If you are worried about security, at least open the windows on the first floor and above, if possible.
* Take cool showers or baths and splash yourself several times a day with cold water, particularly your face and the back of your neck. A loose, cotton, damp cloth or scarf on the back of the neck can also help you to stay cool.
* Indoor and outdoor plants will help keep your home cool due to evaporation and the shading from trees and bushes.
* Have your loft and cavity wall insulated - this keeps the heat in when its cold and out when its hot.

Drink regularly

* Drink regularly, even if you do not feel thirsty. Water and fruit juice are best.
* Avoid alcohol, tea and coffee. They make dehydration worse.
* Eat as you normally would. Try to eat more cold food, particularly salads and fruit, which contain water.

Help others

* Older people are much more prone to the effects of heat. You can help older relatives or neighbours by checking on them, if possible, every day, and reminding them to drink plenty and often. They should have a mixture of drinks including fruit juice and water.
* Help them to keep their house as cool as possible, drawing curtains, opening windows at night, or using a fan if necessary.

--------------------

Sounds like good advice to me. What's the problem? Big Grin
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
21-07-2010, 05:34 PM,
RE: British heat wave?!?
I'm glad to see the British are just as bad as we are in the heat. I know if it gets above 25 degrees C. I find it hot - never mind running in that heat! The good thing (??!) is, we haven't had much warm weather here, just lots of rain.

I wanted to mention a fun event I participated in not long ago. It's called the City Chase and involves a team of two competing against (this year) 550 other teams. You're given a clue sheet and have to dash to various locations and do the challenge, then dash off to the next one. You're given 6 hours to complete 10 challenges and believe me, it is hard, but so much fun! Sweder, this is right up your alley. One challenge involved eating live crickets, having a snake go down your top...others are tough physical ones, some are just plain, goofy fun. We literally ran (you can take local transport) most of the way and actually finished in the top 100. Definitely earned the beer we got at the after party.

Suzie