Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
July 2010 - We're all in this together
09-07-2010, 08:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-07-2010, 10:49 AM by El Gordo.)
July 2010 - We're all in this together
Thanks for the birthday greetings, GM, and for the emailed nudge.

It's time, isn't it?

We've been this way before, and no doubt will be here again. But let's not give up just yet. There's too much fun going to waste around here.

It's been a turbulent few months. There have been some fascinating things to write about, but the act of writing has been relegated below the flurry of daily life, and competing ideas. Bad state of affairs. We/I need to get the show back on the road, and quick.

What to do? Stupid question. I know what to do. I just need to do it.

Running is the answer.

Perhaps a target would help. An autumnal half?

While I'm here, let me apologise for the recent spam attacks. Or rather, let me apologise for not noticing them, and not getting rid of them. I usually get email alerts of new threads but for some reason, have received nothing recently. Thanks for telling me, @MLCM. If you see any spam, please mail me or tweet at @runningcomm, and I'll get my spambot cudgel out from under the bed.

It's a humid Friday here, and I have a full day of duties already laid out. But over the weekend, I'll get on my bike and crank up the heart rate a bit. Next week, I'm going to get to the gym for a spin class or two (thanks for the unintended reminder, @Sweder), and from there I hope I might be able to haul myself onto two legs for a blancmangey plod.

I've got very fat again, which is so boring. M bought me some trousers for my birthday last week. I couldn't get close to getting into them. "But they are the same size as the ones I bought you last year! I checked!"

Oh dear. She offered to take them back, and swap them for a bigger size. No, I said, leave them. Let them stay there, hanging accusingly on the back of the bedroom door. Let them be my new target.

More soon, I hope.

How about everyone else? I see GM has been manfully keeping the running flag held high, but anyone else?

Let's start talking again at least. It will help.

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
09-07-2010, 11:18 AM,
RE: July 2010 - We're all in this together
Here here. Let's get cracking. It would be a great shame to see it all fall apart right now. I'll post something more this weekend.
Run. Just run.
09-07-2010, 11:34 AM,
(09-07-2010, 11:18 AM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: Here here. Let's get cracking. It would be a great shame to see it all fall apart right now. I'll post something more this weekend.

Yep, guilty. I have actually plodded once or twice, including two very early sojourns around the golf course in Orlando last week. I'll get a post up as well as hauling my impressively large butt out this weekend.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

09-07-2010, 12:17 PM,
Good plan EG. I think cycling will help to ease the process of getting back into your running which we all know can be difficult. With Le Tour on telly and the sun shining there's no better time.

I'm not sure about keeping the flag held high, that's somewhat of an overstatement. In truth I'm just making tentative steps back into some running; not entirely sure how well my foot has healed or when it might flare-up again.

My physio urged me to make tiny increments to my efforts. And I don't think running hard for 3 hilly miles carrying a bale of straw with a bellyfull of beer is really doing that. Nor was last nights training session where I went tearing after runners who've been running regularly and well for the last 4 months.

After a bad injury and long lay-off I should take stock and try and learn from the experience. Maybe these are the lessons:

1. All that talk of reps and speed-work etc was just frustration at not being able to run. That stuff is fine-tuning for elite athletes. What I need to concentrate on is keeping myself injury-free and enjoy being out on the hills. Simple.

2. The body needs time to adapt and the emphasis should be on gradual improvement.

3. With road running every foot-strike is the same. This magnifies bio-mechanical issues and increases the likelihood of injury. So as much off-road training as possible must be done where each foot-strike is different.

4. Reducing the profile of shoes and trying barefoot running is also something that should be done with caution. I'm back to thick trainers to protect my foot. And I'm unsure if I'll ever have the confidence to go down that route again. Although I'm still very enthusiastic about the arguments around it.

5. If I want to enjoy regular running again I'm going to have to do less of it. This means doing more cycling and at least one gym session per week to build up strength. Cycling up hills has been proven to be very effective training for running and core strength makes people better runners and less injury prone.

6. I need to do more easy runs that help the body recover and build fitness. Running hard all the time can be counter-productive and I become a victim of my own competitive nature. It's a very one-dimensional way to run.

7. Diet and weight are just as important as training. I'm always amazed at how easy running is after illness when I've lost weight dramatically. And it becomes so much more enjoyable.

I think that's enough to be going on with. Nothing new there but it helps to get these things down on paper and reflect on them; even if I come across as abit self-righteous at times Smile

I've promised myself some easy mileage during July; but these valleys are awash with short village gala fell races at this time of the year so it's going to be very difficult to keep that promise. I'm itching to get out there ...

Short Film of Cliffe Castle XC Course<\a>
09-07-2010, 10:16 PM,
Great post, GM, thank you. Hard to argue with too much of that.

We'll all have our own ways of approaching this, and I've said what mine will be. A decent bike ride over the weekend. 1-2 gym visits next week + a plod. That's quite modest, but it will do. Oh yes, and I'll post something over the weekend too. If i don't, please..... nah, it won't be necessary. I will.

Good luck all. As Sweder would say, time to get the band back together.
El Gordo

10-07-2010, 08:46 AM,
Summer is definitely for cycling. Anybody following the Tour this year?
10-07-2010, 08:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-07-2010, 08:54 AM by El Gordo.)
(10-07-2010, 08:46 AM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote: Summer is definitely for cycling. Anybody following the Tour this year?

MLCM has been tweeting feverishly about the Tour, and I suspect GM is taking his usual interest. I've not watched much yet, but will do so. Really enjoyed it last year. I read a week or so ago that Mark Cavendish was having fitness problems, but he seems to be hitting some form. Any thoughts on who/what a newbie should be looking out for this year?
El Gordo

10-07-2010, 09:46 AM,
Geraint Thomas could take yellow today. I really hope Sky try for this even if it's only for a day.
10-07-2010, 03:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-07-2010, 03:43 PM by Bierzo Baggie.)
Thomas struggled today. At 24 he'll still be learning his trade as pro-cyclist. Cadel Evans looks well placed and Contador won't take his eye off Armstrong for a second. Looking forward to the first proper mountain stage.

What do you think of grumpy old Cadel this year MLCM?
10-07-2010, 10:45 PM,
(10-07-2010, 03:42 PM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote: What do you think of grumpy old Cadel this year MLCM?

Grumpy old Cadel is very well placed this year - he's now into second spot overall without really trying. In fact he's had a bit of a dream run, much more so than in previous years (and do I need to remind you that he has been overall runner up twice on Le Tour). Considering we haven't hit the hills yet, he's beautifully positioned for a tilt at the yellow.

Having said that, there's probably six or seven (or more?!) riders who could take the title this year. A fascinating race. Fingers crossed.

We grumpy bastards have to stick together. Angry
Run. Just run.
11-07-2010, 07:40 PM,
Baggy Callards
Excellent post today EG!

Interesting point Ballack makes - I've little doubt he's at least partly correct. I've often noticed that the English make uncomfortably frequent references to 1966 whenever discussing the World Cup, seemingly looking back rather than focussing on the present. There may be some truth in that. Whether that applies to the players or not I guess is the real question.

Callard & Bowser - I hadn't heard this name since I was a kid. We never had it here in Australia (as far as I can recall), but my mother (who was a genuine Bow Bells cockney as it happens) mentioned it more than once.

Best of luck with the rebirth!
Run. Just run.
12-07-2010, 07:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-07-2010, 01:52 PM by El Gordo.)
RE: Baggy Callards
(11-07-2010, 07:40 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: Excellent post today EG!

Interesting point Ballack makes - I've little doubt he's at least partly correct. I've often noticed that the English make uncomfortably frequent references to 1966 whenever discussing the World Cup, seemingly looking back rather than focussing on the present. There may be some truth in that. Whether that applies to the players or not I guess is the real question.

Callard & Bowser - I hadn't heard this name since I was a kid. We never had it here in Australia (as far as I can recall), but my mother (who was a genuine Bow Bells cockney as it happens) mentioned it more than once.

Best of luck with the rebirth!

Cor blimey Guv'nor - I removed the Callard & Bowser reference last night, thinking it was a bit irrelevant. Maybe I should restore it, or people will think you're mad. Heaven forbid. Madgrin

Edit - OK - I've reinserted my Callards. A briefer reference.
El Gordo

12-07-2010, 05:02 PM,
Hello All,

Sorry I am another one that is guilty of being very quiet lately.

I have slowly started to get my training back in order - I have found out that my old Spanish race walking penpal is coming over to stay in Brighton for 3 month from September, and he is wanting me to take him out marathon training as he has entered the Amsterdam marathon, so I have been kick started back into action.

I have generally been keeping fit by once a week spinning and circuit training, and the Parkrun. Managed a lovely 11 mile run yesterday on the Downs and went with Gillybean to the Reading Parkrun on Saturday which was a wonderful run along the River Thames riverbank.

Off to the track now for some interval training,

Julie Big Grin
Almeria Half Marathon 2017
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
12-07-2010, 05:17 PM,
(12-07-2010, 05:02 PM)ladyrunner Wrote: Hello All,

Sorry I am another one that is guilty of being very quiet lately.

I have slowly started to get my training back in order - I have found out that my old Spanish race walking penpal is coming over to stay in Brighton for 3 month from September, and he is wanting me to take him out marathon training as he has entered the Amsterdam marathon, so I have been kick started back into action.

I have generally been keeping fit by once a week spinning and circuit training, and the Parkrun. Managed a lovely 11 mile run yesterday on the Downs and went with Gillybean to the Reading Parkrun on Saturday which was a wonderful run along the River Thames riverbank.

Off to the track now for some interval training,

Julie Big Grin

Great to hear from you again, LR. You can't be too out of condition if you just pop out for a hilly 11 miler Smile

Glad you enjoyed the Reading Parkrun. I've done it a few times, but not since the depths of winter. I plan to start doing it again once I'm back on my feet.
El Gordo

26-07-2010, 10:46 AM,
Excellent news from Sussex about Sweder, Tom, and our fitter friends managing the Seven Sisters yesterday. As ever, I'm still a long way behind. Managed my first spin session in months this morning. Have actually been trying to get into a class for more than a week now, but they've become annoyingly popular. Booking starts 24 hours before, and if you don't call within that first hour, you've lost the chance.

Spin is great, though no substitute for a proper run. But getting back to 'proper run' condition means me shedding a shedload, and this is what spin is good for. The sweat rolls off you, and is probably as good a fat-burner as anything. At the start of the month, I set myself a target of losing 5 pounds. With a week left, I've actually GAINED 2 pounds, so now have to lose 7 in 7 days. Not an especially healthy target insofar as you're supposed to opt for slow and steady weight loss, but I might as well give it a go. I often find the first week or two of a weight-loss campaign can produce quick results as there is so much excess to lose. So no beer this week, and will aim to do at least 2 more spin sessions, plus cycling and the possibility of a plod.
El Gordo

26-07-2010, 11:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 26-07-2010, 11:40 PM by Sweder.)
Great news re: Return of Spin.
Hotfoot from my own Monday night session at Bridge's House of Fun. Boy she cranked up the techno-pop, threw in some chemically enhanced Nina Simone, a little Muse and flayed us till the sweat ran in rivers. 45 glorious minutes of rabid hill-climbs and balls-out sprints.
I loved it.

27-07-2010, 07:36 AM,
I envy you the range of music. At my gym it tends to be techno-pop, with the occasional bit of... techno-pop thrown in. Looking on the bright side, it does expose me to things I'd never normally experience, just as my presence in the spin room, in among the lycra lovelies, does expose them to things they'd never normally experience...
El Gordo

27-07-2010, 09:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 27-07-2010, 09:19 AM by Sweder.)
(27-07-2010, 07:36 AM)El Gordo Wrote: I envy you the range of music.
You are cordially invited to join me at Bridge's. It's a unique atmosphere, very friendly with a wide (use word advisedly) variety of body shapes and capabilities. I'm sure a guest slot can be arranged at a week's notice.

Restorative visit to The Pelham Arms - just a pint & a plate of the finest baked pork skin in the country - on the cards. Though not as fastidious as you on the weight issue I am trying to pre-empt an autumn on the road and all the dietary horror that entails. Restraint writ large on the 'specials' board.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2010, April El Gordo 0 2,161 05-04-2010, 11:56 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  2010, February -> The clifftop path El Gordo 4 4,537 27-02-2010, 02:32 PM
  2010, January: the road to Molly Malone's Antonio247 82 77,444 12-02-2010, 06:06 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  2007 - July El Gordo 8 5,957 21-07-2007, 04:56 PM
  2006 - July El Gordo 7 4,170 10-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Last Post: stillwaddler