Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jog Shop Jog 2008
06-10-2008, 11:16 AM,
Jog Shop Jog 2008
Who's in?
I'm marshalling (yet to find out where I'll be posted - hoping for top of the W so I can feel better about missing out on this excellent race once again).

Update
Just spoke to Sam . . . I'll be top of Castle Hill (at the turn-off to the nature reserve) - that's about mile 13 or so.
I'll bring some mini Mars bars Wink

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

06-10-2008, 02:38 PM,
Jog Shop Jog 2008
I'm in - training for Beachy Head... had to miss it last year due to injury. I tried to run some of the course yesterday, but after getting blown off the yellow brick road several times gave up and headed for home... it was vile.

Mars bars will definitely be needed by the time we get to Castle Hill...
06-10-2008, 06:51 PM,
Jog Shop Jog 2008
Lets have a Lewes 10 report then . . . please?
I was sorry to miss out - it was such a lovely day for it :RFLMAO:

07-10-2008, 06:54 AM,
Jog Shop Jog 2008
EekWeather forecast looks like it is about to change. It seems that we could be suffering from heat exhaustion on Sunday for the JSJ.Eek

Not so sure about Mars bars when I run - tried it on the Beachy Head Marathon at 23 miles and felt really sick afterwards:mad:.

Julie Smile
Almeria Half Marathon 2017
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
08-10-2008, 12:12 PM,
Jog Shop Jog 2008
I'm also marshalling, but Sam hasn't specified where I'll be.

All he said was bring your bike, I hope is isn't thinking lead bike!Eek
08-10-2008, 04:29 PM,
Jog Shop Jog 2008
hi gillybean
just spoke to sam re; marshalling on sunday.
Need to be there at 8.30 so if you want a lift just let me know.Big Grin
08-10-2008, 04:33 PM,
Jog Shop Jog 2008
Howdy Msilv. Any chance you might make the Almeria trip?
Be great to have you along Smile

08-10-2008, 06:28 PM,
Jog Shop Jog 2008
hi
i'm doing a half in benedorm in jan then off to oz for a couple of months.
Thats my plan at the mo but if it changes i'll let you know.
see you on sunday.Smile
09-10-2008, 10:01 AM,
Jog Shop Jog 2008
It looks like I am going to be seeing most of you out on the course on Sunday which will be goodSmileSmile.

Does this mean that you will ALL be running the BHTT 5k on Saturday then???

I hope that the good weather keeps up for Sunday. It won't be much fun for the runners or marshalls if we get a repeat of last weekend's wash-out!!
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
10-10-2008, 11:01 AM,
Jog Shop Jog 2008
I'm planning a BBQ at my Castle Hill location, Mint Juleps and B52s optional.
Sadly you'll still have 7 miles to go, but I'll happily save you a sausage or two.
Hopefully the sun'll have his hat on as I hope to top up my deep summer tan Big Grin

10-10-2008, 02:05 PM,
Jog Shop Jog 2008
Well done Gillybean on entering.

Here is the course map if anyone wants to take a look:-
http://www.goodrunguide.co.uk/CourseMap.asp?RaceID=72

The course was different when I ran it last in 2003.

Julie Smile
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
10-10-2008, 02:39 PM,
Jog Shop Jog 2008
Innerestin . . . looks like my spot is just before the Mile 11 marker on that map.
Ooh I hope it's nice n sunny . . . Cool

10-10-2008, 03:43 PM,
Jog Shop Jog 2008
I see Wise Sam had the foresight to put you in the arse end of nowhere Sweder. :RFLMAO:
10-10-2008, 03:56 PM,
Jog Shop Jog 2008
Sweder Wrote:Innerestin . . . looks like my spot is just before the Mile 11 marker on that map.
Ooh I hope it's nice n sunny . . . Cool

Yes you should get a nice tan top up on Sunday, you could be out there a while ....

but you'd catch more rays running. :RFLMAO:
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
10-10-2008, 05:46 PM,
Jog Shop Jog 2008
Seafront Plodder Wrote:I see Wise Sam had the foresight to put you in the arse end of nowhere Sweder. :RFLMAO:
Ah, Plodder old friend, you are sadly mistaken . . . for that spot has a vehicle track leading directly from Woodingdean. I shall have music, shelter, wine, women and song . . . and Mars bars. Never in the history of Downland marshalling has so remote a marshal had such, such . . . sheer blue-dee lookshury Cool

Why not come along? I can play you the latest re-mix of your favorite rock ballad Eek

LR I wish I could run the darned thing. However 20 miles would put an unacceptable strain on my, urm, delicate constitution, plus I understand you have to finish before dark . . . :o Should be done there by noon, just in time to nip down to the finish to welcome home the stragglers.

12-10-2008, 05:21 PM,
Jog Shop Jog 2008
Hi All

What a great day we had for the Jog Shop Jog today. The day was made even better by seeing so many friendly faces out on the course whilst I was running round.

First up at Saltdean was Simon and Marion handing out the water to us thirsty ones.

There was an incident happening at Saltdean farm where two horses were gallaping like crazy beasts around the fieldEek and a lady was in the field asking everyone to start walking so that she could get them under control.

At 5 miles was Gary in the field of cows at the top of Saltdean. I was a tad worried when I saw that he wasn't at the 1st gate and thought that he might have got lost up the Tye with my water supply!! I was very relieved to see him at the second gate and grabbed my much needed full water bottle as I went pastSmile.

The next friendly faces were Ash and Cam at the top of Castle Hill. Once again the water bottle got refilled. It was so hot and I was feeling very thirsty!! I gave Ash a kiss and thanked him for getting me back to competitive running. I ran down Castle Hill thinking about Chris, if he was here running now we would probably be having a right old ding dong - hope you are doing okay Chris?

I pushed up the Snake and was greeted by Tracy Whitle at the top. She offered me a Mars Bar but I refused for fear of being or feeling sick. Checked out my watch and I had 45 minutes to get to the finish to beat 3 hours - I know that I couldn't slacken the pace. So I gritted my teeth and pushed on hard down the slope to Rottingdean.

At Rottingdean I was greeted by an abundance of friendly faces, there was John for the 3rd time, Marion again, Martin (my old swimming mate - haven't seen him for about a decade), Dave the Hat, Tom (shouting "It's only a training run" at me), Jennette and Cam (again).

With only two miles to go I ran down the St Dunstans hill like a fell runner, over-taking two tired runners as an impressive show for Gary :RFLMAO:who was waiting at the bottom with more drinks and to accompany me back to the finish on his bike. I had to keep the pace going for fear of being shouted at. We got to the end of the cliff tops, and I made a hard dash down the zig-zag and breathed a sigh of relieve to be told that I had broken 3 hours. Don't know the exact time but was told that it was 2hr 58mins.

A big thank you to Sam, Graham, Jane, Alex, Laura and all the others at the finish, and also to the Saucony man for my lovely 4th lady t-shirt and money voucher. I'll be down the shop soon to exchange it for some winter running clothing as this hot weather can't last for much longer!!Sad
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
12-10-2008, 07:44 PM,
Jog Shop Jog 2008
Well done LR and all the other runners. 20 hilly miles sounds an awfully long way at this time of year. It's a March distance to me.

Sounds like some skilful marshalling going on as well today, so we'd better give them a nod.

Enjoy your beer, everyone. You've earned it!
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
12-10-2008, 08:08 PM,
Jog Shop Jog 2008
Thanks EG.

I'm enjoying a beer as I typeSmileSmile
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
12-10-2008, 08:48 PM,
Jog Shop Jog 2008
Not sure it was skillful but it was certainly enjoyable marshalling out there today Big Grin

What a fantastic day for the Jog Shop Jog - a misty, chilly start, sun burning off the early shroud without ever getting unbearably hot, a good turn out - somewhere between 150 and 200 hardy souls. I chopped up around 16 Mars bars (each into five segments, chilled in my Guinness fridge over night) and they all went (I had two to keep my spirits up Wink). Great to see so many familiar faces flying past at eleven and a half miles. Considering you'd all just battled up the W barely a mile before you all looked remarkably fresh. Ladyrunner, you were unbearably spritely - those sessions with Gary after Hove Park are paying dividends. Sara (of Great Wall Marathon fame) came by a few metres behind the leading lady. I offered what I thought was encouragement. 'You're right behind the leading lady!' I beamed.
'Yeah, she just passed me' came the scowled reply. Gillybean was pretty hard on herself having suffered on the last climb out of Kingston. What you might not have realised GB was there were hoards behind you and they were looking pretty rough I can tell you.

It was one of those days when you wished you were running - even in my rusty condition. Sorry to miss out on the finishing line festivities. I got a call from Mrs S. She and Pheebs were at a dance comp in Chichester and P's blood glucose monitor had gone on the fritz. Emergency replacement required I dashed off to play the White Knight, not figuring on Arundel being closed for bridge repairs and a 45 minute detour via Bognor Regis . . . :mad:

Well done to Sam and his team - another excellent (if tough) race. I love seeing the faces of the 'visitors' - those runners checking out our local plod to see what all the fuss is about. They're the ones in running club vests from Maidstone and the like, eyes glazed, waxen faces drooping in the sunshine as I hailed them with a cheery 'only seven and a half to go!'. One lady, wobbling on unsteady legs, asked 'are there any more hills?'
'Just a couple' I grinned.
Yep, just the two really. The Snake at a sdhade under two miles and the heartbreak of Rottingdean Windmill Wink

Next year? Perhaps. Churlish as it may seem in these uncertain times to decry pressures of work, next October is looking decidedly busy.
If I can't run and I'm in the country I'll marshal; anything to support this terrific race.

13-10-2008, 02:41 PM,
Jog Shop Jog 2008
Hi,
Legs tired today, but enjoyed race.
Last 5 miles really hard work and struggling to keep going, but drinks station in Rottingdean was a life-saver- especially with the sports drinks which I get on much better with than sweets or biscuits.

The only biscuit type thing I've ever had any success with is Jaffa Cakes- the jelly bit in the middle makes them pretty easy to get down Big Grin

Not long until Beachy Head now- another 6 miles more!
Oh well, resting this week anyway...........

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good Friday Jog Shop event 2010 The Beast of Bevendean 2 2,430 29-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Last Post: The Beast of Bevendean
  Jog shop 20 steve scott 6 4,163 11-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Last Post: ladyrunner
  Jog Shop Jog - Sun 12th Oct ladyrunner 1 2,151 29-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Gillybean831
  The Jog Shop Jog 2008 Sweder 0 1,703 14-05-2008, 01:05 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  Seaford Half (1st June 2008) gary c 0 1,401 12-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Last Post: gary c
  Jog Shop Jog gary c 5 2,723 14-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  jog shop 20 steve scott 1 1,702 09-10-2006, 04:25 PM