Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The rest of 2010 - between marathons
13-09-2010, 07:02 AM,
RE: The rest of 2010 - between marathons
Another week in the bank.

Monday night started with a therapeutic tempo session. My return to my normal place of work has not been a festival of mental stimulation. A lack of real work has meant I’ve spent my first couple of weeks updating course materials (which frankly could be best improved by the “Del” key) and producing something known cringingly as “Wow! presentations”.

So, Mondays being Mondays, I wasn’t over-chipper as the day drew to a close. It was only when the Tesco Direct man arrived that I noticed the outside conditions – inky blackness swathed in a curtain of heavy rain. Thank goodness it’s him out there I thought, rather than me. I’m glad I’m slumped on the sofa in the warm, in front of Come Dine With Me: Big Brother Special (I kid you not: I was at a low ebb alright). Then the penny dropped.

So as soon as the month’s groceries were stashed, I changed into as few clothes as I could decently get away with and headed into the night. The goal was a mile’s warmup then two miles under 7 minute pace. I didn’t quite manage that, but I was able to better my target race pace. It’s going to require a special performance from the race day fairies to sustain that pace over 10K, but we’ll see. Anyway, the run wasn’t really about achievement – as well as my dull day (and frankly I’ve got nothing to complain about), this morning’s in-car Beyond Belief podcast about disability was also playing through my mind – it was just a joy to be out there, in my favourite conditions, and able to spin the legs and lungs. Running is the answer (to certain questions, at least).

Another 7 hills reps in the bag on Friday. I still don’t enjoy them, but as is normal afterwards my mind filters out the hardship and I’m left with the feeling that overall they’re a good thing. Only one more session left to go; I will be glad to at least take a break from them.

And finally the traditional Sunday night long (only 5 miles) easy session rounded the week off nicely. A repeat of the same to come next week.

Messages In This Thread
10K training - week 1 - by marathondan - 28-07-2010, 07:44 PM
RE: 10K training - week 1 - by Sweder - 29-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Into August - by marathondan - 09-08-2010, 08:08 PM
RE: The rest of 2010 - between marathons - by marathondan - 13-09-2010, 07:02 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The rest of 2011 - between marathons marathondan 73 80,766 28-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  Post-London: the rest of 2009 marathondan 41 36,456 28-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Last Post: marathondan