Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to improve as a runner
01-04-2010, 11:02 AM,
How to improve as a runner
Here's a list of activities I will try and pursue over the next 6 months when/if I manage to get running again. I do about half of these properly at the moment and some I don't do at all. I think if you could tick all these boxes you'd be on your way to realising your potential as a runner. What do people think?

1. Long slow run
2. Races
3. Hill reps
4. Recovery runs
5. Tempo runs / fartlek
6. Half mile / mile efforts
7. Intervals (100,200,400 repeats)
8. Diet
9. Cross training
10. Weight training
11. Running technique (eg. gait analysis/barefoot running)
12. Training on proper fell (not trail)
13. Stretching
14. Reading
15. More sleep
01-04-2010, 11:18 AM,
RE: How to improve as a runner
I already do No. 14. Cool
01-04-2010, 07:07 PM,
It's difficult to improve when you get to ...a certain ageBlush

Only one thing for it, when you get old.. go ultra.

On a different topic, I saw my cousin who lives in Oxenhope (Mill Lane) the other day. I asked him if he knew a bloke called Glaconman and he didn't. He recognized the green and red running vest though!

At the moment I do 2 and 15. I've also improved on 11 (downhill only) since packing in the footie and strengthening my ankles.
07-04-2010, 12:19 AM,
I'd say that was a pretty comprehensive list.

A couple of relatively passive items might be added: writing about it; and logging/analysing.

Writing is obviously not required by everyone, but let's broaden that out to... reflecting. Or even broader, 'attitude'. It's often said that running is as much a mental task as a physical one, so it's worth dwelling on how do we might train our minds to be stronger.

And logging. I'll never win any prizes for speed, but logging runs and measuring how I've done this month compared to last, or this year compared to last, is motivational and rewarding.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
12-04-2010, 01:39 PM,
Well, I guess this list was just a way of convincing myself that there's plenty I can do to stay fit whilst I can't run. I resolved to keep my foot down but in truth I've done nothing of the sort over the last couple of weeks. Ah well, I'm sure I'll catch-up.

Oxenhope is home to a couple of great little races I did last summer BB. Both awash with the hooped vests.

And I know of a couple of people who only race; which is a good way of making the most of limited time.
14-04-2010, 01:43 PM,
I'm not sure about weight training, it could be counter productive if you end up looking like a chinese Olympic weightlifter:-) but a light weight and repetition as part of cross training might be useful, or running with a loaded rucksack perhaps?

Hope you aren't getting too bored GM?
Perhaps you could devise a killer ap for recording progress?
Phew this is hard work !
22-04-2010, 11:38 AM,
Hi SW. I think there are targeted weights that you can do that don't bulk you up but provide you with the strength to improve your running technique; particularly when you get tired and your form begins to change.

Not run for a month now and I went to the physio a couple of days back and he's forbidden running, probably for the next month as well. But I've been encouraged to bike and swim etc. I should be looking at this as an opportunity to improve my overall strength and fitness but it's not easy as all I really want to do is run and compete. And there are so many great races coming up in the next couple of months.
22-04-2010, 12:17 PM,
Sorry to hear you're signed off for another month GM. I know how it is to feel 'up for it' and unable to run; not easy at all. Good luck with the other activities and hope you get back out there sooner rather than later.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

22-04-2010, 02:22 PM,
(22-04-2010, 12:17 PM)Sweder Wrote: Sorry to hear you're signed off for another month GM. I know how it is to feel 'up for it' and unable to run; not easy at all. Good luck with the other activities and hope you get back out there sooner rather than later.

Appreciate the comments Sweder. It's one of those situations where had I not raced hard on the injury twice I would have been back out there by now Rolleyes.

I had to smile as the physio turned to the young student in the room taking notes and said, in hushed, serious tones, that she should view running as a drug and how, although he enjoyed treating runners, it was difficult to get them to tell the truth about their addiction.

Anyhow, it was 'barn-door' acute PF. Which is better than the degenerative type which can persist for many months.

He said he never treated fell-runners because each step was different off-road; it was always road runners because of the persistent, repetitive impact on tarmac which would magnify biomechanic issues and stress specific muscles.

And he didn't seem very sympathetic to the idea of trying to change to a forefoot runner saying the heel strike was important for firing the calf muscle, the most important muscle for runners.

Anyhow, hopefully I'll be on the treadmill in a couple of weeks time for an assessment and I might get some orthotics. Can't wait. But I must.

Will just have to enjoy everybody else's efforts for the time being.
23-04-2010, 07:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 23-04-2010, 08:10 AM by Sweder.)
Curious comments re: heel striking. Christopher McDougall explores the biomechanics of running in the third quarter of his excellent (if at times over-exuberant) 'Born To Run', an engaging book on ultra running deep in the canyons of Mexico. The counter-arguments are fascinating. Nike swore blind against barefoot running for ten years before finally releasing the Nike Free range. It's a shoe Jim, but not as we know it.

McDougall lets the scientists speak directly to us from his pages. Much of it is beyond me and I'll have to revisit these chapters more than once (as soon as I get my copy back from EG). Basically the argument against heel striking is this. When landing on a forward stride on the run we plant our heel down before us. This has the effect of a mini-brake; our entire forward momentum is momentarily halted as our body weight times a factor of forward motion crushed down through our foreleg and into the ground through that heel. I'm not brain surgeon but that can't be good. Our momentum carries us on through that braking action and we lurch into the next stride to repeat the exercise, over and over again. Wearing heavily padded running shoes allows us to repeat this action without inflicting terrible pain. Try it in bare feet and you'll see what I mean.

I won't bang on (as if!). The arguments, like those on last night's political Muppet Show, are well-rehearsed. There's no end to the advocates from both sides lining up to decry the wrong-thinkers across the 'divide'. Once again it comes back to Mr Sheehan's insightful adage about singular experiments.

For me it's fairly simple. I'll try to change my gait by using the Five Fingers (apparently there's a new robust version with a tyre-like tread for those of us who love dirt & rock) offroad. When it comes to tarmac I'll revert to road shoes to save my battered knees and joints. A triumph for expediency over principal as it must be for the rank amateur.

One thing I am increasingly convinced of. In order to improve in road races I need to mix up my terrain a little. The long, rambling shuffles I started out on at the end of March seem to be ideal cross-terrain training, being mostly off road but with front and back section miles on the hard-top. For these I'll wear the less-cushioned off-road shoes (Mizuno Wave Harrier 2s).

Rest well.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

23-04-2010, 10:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 23-04-2010, 11:07 PM by Bierzo Baggie.)
(22-04-2010, 02:22 PM)glaconman Wrote: He said he never treated fell-runners because each step was different off-road; it was always road runners because of the persistent, repetitive impact on tarmac which would magnify biomechanic issues and stress specific muscles.

Yep. I've never ever got into running science but that sounds logical. I've got a bit obsessive about this over the years to the extent that if I'm running along the road I'll instinctively veer towards grass verges or even run along ditches. Blush

I'll second what Sweder says as well. I thought it was running on tip toes which strengthens your calf muscles. Or am I missing something?

Bad luck regarding the injury. Fast, explosive races will always run the risk of injuries, especially if you're pushing yourself as hard as you can.
Hope you're back on the hills as soon as possible!