Gels
26-03-2010, 02:59 PM,
Question  Gels
I want to experiment with gels on my planned 11 miler on Sunday. I remember last time I tended to use them too late (i.e. when I needed them) and didn't gain any discernable benefit.

Could some kind soul suggest good times to glug?
26-03-2010, 03:13 PM,
RE: Gels
"I want to experiment with gels"

Just stick to taking them orally SP. Honestly. Big Grin

When I ran into trouble on a 10 miler at mile 8 I decided to try glugging one down after 7 on the next 10 miler. And it probably helped. I would say just restrict yourself to one at about 7 miles. You don't want to become too dependent on them; physically or mentally. Have a good run SP.
26-03-2010, 04:40 PM,
I tend to use gels if I'm out on a training run of about 2hours or longer.

I will take them at regular intervals, generally I aim for every 30-40 minutes from the start of the run.

If I was going to use them for a half marathon or full marathon race I usually take one before I start, then follow my 30-40 minute interval rule. With a full marathon I am more likely to take them every 30-35 minutes to try and delay the fatigue offset as long as possible.

This time round for my marathon training I have been using gels and washing them down with energy drink rather than water with no ill effects.

Enjoy your 11 miler on Sunday Smile
Almeria Half Marathon 2017
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
26-03-2010, 09:14 PM,
I agree with LR's formula: one at the start, then one every half an hour, washed down with water. But I would only bother for a half or full marathon. For training I make do with raisins or jelly babies (cheaper). But you're right to do at least one long run on gels, so you don't start gagging on them on race day.

Yeah, good luck at the weekend. You need to be prepared for when Sweder persuades you to transfer to the ultra...
27-03-2010, 11:44 AM,
I agree with G-man re: training/ dependancy on gels. I've trained all year without gels - I didn't use any during the Almeria half, preferring a Red Bull shot to experiment with extreme caffeine. That worked pretty well, though obviously benefits are restricted to shorter races.

For longer races (half, full etc) I concur with MD and LR; start off with one (to get system used to digestion whilst running) then chip in at reguilar pre-planned intervals. Like hydration if you wait until you feel the need you're too late.

For the Connemara quest I plan to follow the advice laid out in Feet In The Clouds - jam sarnies, maybe even peanut butter & jam, at regular intervals. And perhaps a pot of tea or two Big Grin

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

29-03-2010, 08:29 AM,
The trouble with gels is I can feel my teeth rotting by the minute when I use them, and it's difficult to carry a toothbrush, floss and mouthwash while running. Intrigued by the sandwich idea; I think the best solution is to have one's manservant accompany one carrying flasks of soup laced with whisky, and a cold partridge or two.
χαιρέτε νικὠμεν
Next race(s): 
In the lap of the gods

29-03-2010, 09:54 AM,
Tom, don't be ridiculous.

Partridge is far too fatty and protein-laden. A tureen of kedgeree would be far more appropriate for maintaining carb levels.

I ate half a pound of jelly babies on my long run last night, and somehow forgot to brush my teeth both last night and this morning. So I won't have any teeth to worry about come race day.
29-03-2010, 10:05 AM,
I beg to differ, Dan. Elizabeth David herself recommended cold partridge for invalids, with a little champagne; I'm sure it's just as good for runners. And game is low in fat, ideal running food. I often munch on a hare when I'm out on the downs.
χαιρέτε νικὠμεν
Next race(s): 
In the lap of the gods

29-03-2010, 10:07 AM,
I've only ever consumed 2 gels in my life, I have to say. Both during races. The last one I was very grateful for as I was experiencing hyperglycemia.

But, as a rule, I much prefer real food. My Mrs has taken to making eggy bread/gypsy toast/french toast, call it what you will, for when we go on long, off-road runs.

This is washed-down with water containing chia seeds, honey and lime.
29-03-2010, 10:12 AM,
(29-03-2010, 10:07 AM)glaconman Wrote: This is washed-down with water containing chia seeds, honey and lime.

Very interested in this GM. Have found some YouTube stuff on prepping chia seeds. Will investigate further but a bottle of chia/lime/honey-water seems like a useful addition to my rucksack.

29-03-2010, 10:59 AM,
Sweder;

My missus bought a 3lb bag from here: http://getchia.com/

This will last you a long while as you don't need many per bottle. They swell in water to create a kind of gel which is tasteless. Suspend the honey in some hot water before adding, plus lime juice for that Mexican/Tarahumara authenticity. A great way to avoid buying packaged gels and possibly better for the longer stuff.
29-03-2010, 01:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 30-03-2010, 12:06 AM by Sweder.)
Thanks for that GM - order placed. Hopefully I'll get some before Connemara.
Here's a YouTube vid showing how to prep the seeds/ make Chia Fresca. Still looks alarmingly like frog-spawn but hey, a lot of people rate this stuff so ...

Meanwhile, the quest for anti-lactic/ lactate agents continues.
An interesting article (related to the Dingle Marathon as it turns out) appears here to pour scorn on claims such as mine.

29-03-2010, 11:59 PM,
(27-03-2010, 11:44 AM)Sweder Wrote: Like hydration if you wait until you feel the need you're too late.

That's the key point. I've heard it said that a gel will take around 4 miles to take effect, which fits in with the 30-40 minute intervals suggested by some. In the days when I was actually capable of completing a long distance, I would take one every 4-5 miles. It does make sense to take one at the start, though for marathons I tended not to simply because I can't take more than about 4 in one race, and need to keep them back for later on.

I sympathise with Tom's point about teeth and sugar, but find that the more recent breed of gels (Hi5, SIS etc) are much less sickly than the old Lucozade Sport, PowerGel etc. More liquid -- you don't even need to wash them down with water.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.