Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
March
24-03-2010, 05:03 PM,
March
Sunday 14th March Keighley 10k

As my local 10k race it was great to take part in this one. It's not a fast course and is described as multi-terrain. It winds its way through roads, parks, snickets, paths and fields and takes in some hidden corners of the town. I found it to be a great course, full of visual interest, twists and turns. Some sharp climbs and fast descents.

Some races are staged for pbs and I've run a couple of these. They may be flat and convenient to marshal but they tend to conspire against you. As the field spreads out you find yourself with nothing to think about other than the discomfort you're experiencing.

It's only the 3rd time this race has been run. And this year I made it to the start line with a hooped vest on and finished 11th in 37:08. So not a bad debut.

Unfortunately the sore heel I had preceding the race turned out to be a 'real injury'; which I guess now makes me a 'real runner'. Plantar fasciitis as it turns out. And I ended-up hobbling home. And the next day was even worse.

Sunday 21st March Northern Athletics 12 Stage Road Relays - Wythenshaw Park Manchester

Despite my foot injury I decided that being asked to run in the 'A' team was too good an opportunity to miss. I would rest all week and only be running a 2.8 mile leg. Plus I figured that once the adrenelin kicked-in the pain wouldn't slow me down.

I nearly got away with it. I ended up tearing a muscle in the bottom of my foot on the back-straight, just as I was reeling in an Ilkley Harrier. With only 150m to hobble it wasn't the catastrophe it might have been. But it felt pretty alarming at the time.

After a trip to the hospital to see a physio I've now decided to do no running for at least a fortnight (well, I can barely walk at the moment) which could extend to a month, or even longer. I've read some pretty 'orrible stories about PF and how long it can take to shift.

The good news is that I have a full biomechanical assessment scheduled for 20th April. So it's really time to step-back and reassess my whole technique before I try and move forward with my running.

A good opportunity to get out on the bike I think and do some weights.
24-03-2010, 10:59 PM,
RE: March
Bad luck on the PF/ torn plantar. I'm only too familiar with those Johnnies, unforgiving swine that they are. Rest the perceived wisdom, as is (gently) rolling a golf ball under the wounded area. Heal well and soon.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

24-03-2010, 11:09 PM,
Yes bad luck GM, I guess you would be kicking yourself if it didn't hurt so much. But with those times and results, you are truly running with the big boys now. Sounds like you are being philosophical and hitting the cross-training. Hope it goes well and you heal quickly.
26-03-2010, 02:16 PM,
Cheers lads. It's slowing dawning on me that we generate running strength with our whole bodies. And, in that respect, there's plenty I can do to improve my running without actually running. I have the classic physique of somebody who just runs: strong legs and no upper body strength. Time to change that I reckon.

Some pics from the Northern Relays on Sunday:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12775528@N0...9938/show/
26-03-2010, 04:12 PM,
Good point well made re: upper body (and core strength).
I've just signed up as driver for Brighton & Hove AC Ladies team on the South Downs Way relay in June. Should be a blast.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph