Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
March - Maddening Hares and all
31-03-2010, 03:51 PM,
RE: March - Maddening Hares and all
Wilm-Slow day dawned cold and blustery, but I did wake up in time. I was in a bit of a daze when I collected all my stuff together and bundled it into the car for the short drive there. Directed to park in a field, not good as I knew with past experience how long it would take me to get out after the run.
Sat in the car for ages as it was so cold. I had decided to wear my long running tights and running jacket instead of tee shirt and ¾ tights because of the weather. Eventually I left for the 10 minute walk to the start area before queuing the regulation 10 minutes for the loo. Tannoy was calling people to the start as I left the loo queue, so I ambled up and wandered into the start area, at lest it was a lot warmer with all those bodies despite so many shivering people in shorts, I have never seen so many goose bumps collected together in one place before.
I felt a little anxious before the race, I had already run 35 miles in the last week so was feeling a little jaded, but I reminded myself that this was just a training run in the company of others. We had chip timers on, only the second year that Wilmslow have had these, although they still award best in category according to gun time – very odd.
I mentally chose a person to act as a pacer - a woman perhaps 15 years younger than me sporting a pair of long compression socks- as we shuffled off through the beeping start. I ambled along, feeling OK. Continued to amble along, walked up the hills, walked thorough the feed stations, why they continue to serve water in plastic cups I have no idea. The weather began to warm up a little although the wind was gusting strongly and by the time we turned for home I was very pleased to have the blast behind me at long last. I had glanced at the Garmin a few times, the mile markers were coming up consistently .25 of a mile after the Garmin had buzzed for the mile marker, so I was a little confused by the times I was achieving. Pleasantly surprised to glance at it when I though we were at about mile 9 ish to find it was already through mile 10. I slowed down just about this point to help a woman who was obviously having a terrible time, her companion was trying to encourage her with a wet sponge and promise of a goody bag plus feeling of achievemetn and relief she would feel on finishing. I gave her a few jelly beans and she did revive a bit. I was now beginning to rein in quite a few people who had passed me in the early stages, I had cruised past woman in long socks at about mile 7. All quite gratifying although I continued just to try and run relaxed and forget about the time. The finish post was achieved with a slight burst of speed ( speed is all relative!!) 13.57 miles on the Garmin and a time of 2 hours 26 something. Under 11 minute miles, so I was quietly pleased. Felt absolutely fine too which is more to the point at this time in the mara training.
I’m not saying I would happily have done 26 miles on Sunday ‘though;-) Mind you, late night partying with lots of beer on Friday night, followed by sitting still in orchestra for a 3 hour rehearsal plus a 2 hour concert followed by a couple of pints on Saturday and the start of BST probably isn’t the best preparation for a half marathonRolleyes Enjoyed every minute of the prep ‘though;-)
I am currently concentrating on carb loading - I love carbs!
Phew this is hard work !
31-03-2010, 04:13 PM,
Superb SW - especially the bit about passing Pippi Longstockings at mile 7.
It ain't how you start it's how you finish. Bravo! You must be feeling a lot better about Brighton after that Smile

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

31-03-2010, 09:10 PM,
...and not a mention of respiratory problems - is that down to inhalers, or warmer weather, or both? Either way, a really good result! Are you officially on taper now, or going to fit in one more fairly long one?
31-03-2010, 09:30 PM,
You're sounding very ready for Brighton SW. Things are coming together for you at just the right time -amazing when it actually happens that way!Smile

Suzie
01-04-2010, 01:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-04-2010, 01:27 PM by stillwaddler.)
(ooh SuzieQ, I daren't tempt fate)
Breathing was OK on the day, 'though fairly bad on Monday, but I didn't care by then! Cheers Sweder, I am in truth feeling a bit more optimisitc and I shall enjoy a little nostalgic indulgence wandering around my home town, even at the slowest of waddles. Yes MD I am on the taper, I had swopped the half mara with the scheduled 20 which I did the week before. Only 12 miles to do this weekend - a mere walk in the park Smile
Phew this is hard work !
01-04-2010, 01:56 PM,
[Things are coming together for you at just the right time -amazing when it actually happens that way]

I meant to say that in a very quiet whisper...
01-04-2010, 10:25 PM,
Yes, 12 miles seems a relaxing prospect! Didn't realise you are from Brighton, assumed you were a northern lass.
02-04-2010, 04:23 PM,
Well done SW - it sounds like you had good run at Wilmslow. You must be feeling confident now for the Brighton Marathon? Hopefully we will have a mild and windless day for it. Smile
Almeria Half Marathon 2017
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
06-04-2010, 08:50 AM,
(02-04-2010, 04:23 PM)ladyrunner Wrote: Well done SW - it sounds like you had good run at Wilmslow. You must be feeling confident now for the Brighton Marathon? Hopefully we will have a mild and windless day for it. Smile

Windless yes, but I'm hoping for 5C at most!
08-04-2010, 03:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-04-2010, 03:18 PM by stillwaddler.)
windless would be very good, 5c would be just fine too. MD I am a Northern Lass by choice having lived "up" here for thirty odd years, plus a few years in Norfolk and university in Wales, but Brighton is my home town and I got very excited when I visited briefly last year.

The 12 miler for this weeknd had to be postponed until Tuesday because of family commitments, but it was fine and has been duly ticked off.

I'm now beginning to panic about what socks to wear. should it be a pair of the Aldi trusty thin twin skins? Hilly slightly thicker twin skins? Hilly thousand mile socks? HELP!

Has anybody got any recommendations, nothing has felt quite right so far. I should worry - MD you are a hero to run in fur :-)
Phew this is hard work !
08-04-2010, 03:47 PM,
I love the 1000 mile socks, but as Mrs H will tell you I have very weird feet Smile

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

08-04-2010, 09:39 PM,
(08-04-2010, 03:47 PM)Sweder Wrote: I love the 1000 mile socks, but as Mrs H will tell you I have very weird feet Smile

Yes from your recent report I understand that your 4th and 5th toes are fused together...

I always run in £1 a pair socks but I guess I have lucky feet.

For the avoidance of doubt I would like to make it clear that owing to purchase of a cheapo gorilla suit on eBay my body will NOT be clad in fur, just some sort of crappy black tracksuit / pyjamas. But I will be wearing an extra layer over that to hide some of the crapness, and I most definitely WILL be wearing the torture instrument known as the sweaty full-head furry / rubber gorilla mask for 5 hours.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  March Madness stillwaddler 1 1,840 03-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  March stillwaddler 4 2,734 21-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man