Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm In Love
08-03-2010, 08:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-03-2010, 08:19 PM by Seafront Plodder.)
Heart  I'm In Love
Driving home tonight I happened upon Paul Jones on Radio 2.

Anyone heard of Magic Slim and the Teardrops? Well I hadn't so I did some research.

woW...Eek

He's still touring too....
08-03-2010, 09:36 PM,
RE: I'm In Love
Oh yeah, baby. Cool Quite a back catalogue on Spotify, too. I don't know how much research you did, but did you (or any else) notice what's missing in the above video?

That Paul Jones show is great. I picked up a CD of Mr Jones' own Blues Band recently; good stuff but nowhere near as gritty as the above.
08-03-2010, 10:37 PM,
(08-03-2010, 09:36 PM)marathondan Wrote: Oh yeah, baby. Cool Quite a back catalogue on Spotify, too. I don't know how much research you did, but did you (or any else) notice what's missing in the above video?

That Paul Jones show is great. I picked up a CD of Mr Jones' own Blues Band recently; good stuff but nowhere near as gritty as the above.

Enjoyed the video,thanks, and no, I've not heard of him either. I wonder if that was shot in Chicago? Looks familiar.

Paul Jones is an interesting guy. Well educated: went to Harrow School and Oxford. Been around forever, or at least from the early days of the British blues scene. I saw him in the Blues Band at University 30 years ago, and he seemed like his career was on the wane then, so he's certainly showed some staying power. Great live band, with Dave Kelly on guitar. Years later, I went with a mate to see a Billy Graham event at Upton Park, just to see what it was all about, and was surprised when Paul Jones appeared on the stage and played some harmonica. I sort of went off him a bit after that.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
09-03-2010, 10:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-03-2010, 10:49 AM by Seafront Plodder.)
(08-03-2010, 09:36 PM)marathondan Wrote: did you (or any else) notice what's missing in the above video?

If you mean where's the piano player Dan, I think you can see him around 7/8 seconds into the clip.

I too went to see Paul Jones with his Blues Band a few years ago.. That was ok, but not sure why this guy really does it for me.
09-03-2010, 11:16 AM,
Aside from the absence of anyone who looks like he might answer to the name of "Slim", I was referring to something on Mr Magic's right hand. Or not on it.
09-03-2010, 07:39 PM,
Well spotted. Unusual guitar style: using a thumb pick as a plectrum.
El Gordo

09-03-2010, 08:20 PM,
Nope, still not what I was after. Apparently, as a young man, he had to give up the piano after losing a finger in a cotton gin accident, and switched to gee-tar. Now that's the blues.
09-03-2010, 10:26 PM,
(09-03-2010, 08:20 PM)marathondan Wrote: Nope, still not what I was after. Apparently, as a young man, he had to give up the piano after losing a finger in a cotton gin accident, and switched to gee-tar. Now that's the blues.

No wait, I spotted the finger -- or rather, I didn't. Didn't think I had to spell it out. But that led onto the separate thumb pick observation.

Had to look up the meaning of "cotton gin". It seems that gin is short for engine. Agree that such an accident gives him first class bluesman credentials.
El Gordo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I Love You Seafront Plodder 0 1,253 03-12-2004, 02:13 PM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder