It's very quiet in here at the mo....
08-03-2010, 08:00 PM,
It's very quiet in here at the mo....
So hands up who's not injured/ill at the moment...

Wave
08-03-2010, 09:28 PM,
RE: It's very quiet in here at the mo....
Sure is, bud. I've just been out for my first run for a week. Unless others start posting something, I'll be forced to blog about every single run from now until race day, no matter how inconsequential.
08-03-2010, 10:27 PM,
Well I think that I am over my injury. Managed to run 8 miles around Stanmer Park on Sunday and have a long run planned for tomorrow morning. 18 miles!! Hoping my calf will hold out on me Big Grin
Almeria Half Marathon 2017
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
08-03-2010, 10:27 PM,
I've had a sicknote from Sweder's mum, but there does seem to be a worrying level of truancy among the rest of the class.

Let's just say that there will be some explaining to do when certain students return from their unscheduled absences. Whip
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
10-03-2010, 02:46 PM,
Well, I'm still running 3 times a week although haven't run an event since the XCountry.

I've got the Keighley 10k on Sunday then the Northern road relays in Manchester the Sunday after.

Although this morning I have a sore heel of limping proportions. Not sure if that's down to the mile efforts I did last night or the fact that I stood at my desk all day yesterday. Part of some fad I have since reading something on t'Internet

http://lifehacker.com/5482856/exercise-or-not-sitting-at-a-desk-all-day-is-bad-for-you?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+lifehacker%2Ffull+%28Lifehacker%29

Blush
12-03-2010, 03:27 PM,
I'm here - lurking at the back of the class
Phew this is hard work !
20-03-2010, 08:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 20-03-2010, 09:41 PM by Bierzo Baggie.)
I've had some problems with my computer recently. This virus put it out of action when I was posting something or other about sore calf muscles on this very forum. Seems to be OK now though (it's been reformatted.. the computer, not the calf muscles) ..has anybody else had any problems?
21-03-2010, 07:00 AM,
(20-03-2010, 08:49 PM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote: I've had some problems with my computer recently. This virus put it out of action when I was posting something or other about sore calf muscles on this very forum. Seems to be OK now though (it's been reformatted.. the computer, not the calf muscles) ..has anybody else had any problems?

A few weeks ago, I also had a virus which was a message from an "antivirus company" telling me that I should buy their antivirus because there was a hacker trying to find out my credit card number. If I bought that antivirus online, I would get rid of the problem. In fact, it was a way to have my credit card number and use it. Obviously, I didn´t buy it but I couldn´t use the computer because the message prevented me from being able to use the internet. I took it to a computer shop and my PC is all right now.

As to training, I go for a run four or five days a week. I have some discomfort in my left knee but it is not too serious. It must be because I´ve done a few long runs.

Saludos desde Almería

21-03-2010, 04:51 PM,
(21-03-2010, 07:00 AM)anlu247 Wrote: A few weeks ago, I also had a virus which was a message from an "antivirus company" telling me that I should buy their antivirus because there was a hacker trying to find out my credit card number. If I bought that antivirus online, I would get rid of the problem. In fact, it was a way to have my credit card number and use it. Obviously, I didn´t buy it but I couldn´t use the computer because the message prevented me from being able to use the internet. I took it to a computer shop and my PC is all right now.

As to training, I go for a run four or five days a week. I have some discomfort in my left knee but it is not too serious. It must be because I´ve done a few long runs.

Saludos desde Almería

Yep, the same thing happened to me Antonio! By the way... are you training for anything, you know, ....long?
21-03-2010, 06:52 PM,
No problems with the PC but still have problems with the left calf. The calf has been behaving itself over the last few weeks but I have been sensible and not done any fast running on it. Mainly been doing one long run a week 18-20miles off-road and two shorter walks or runs.

Ran the Hastings Half Marathon today. Set off at a similar pace to Almeria (4:30 km) but calf started to tighten up by 3k. Decided to slow down and plod on for as long as I could before starting to walk. Ran the next 14k in a steadier pace (5:20-6:00 km) but leg was feeling sore. When I hit the seafront at 17k I decided to switch to race walking to see how that felt. Walking was good as I experienced no pain in my calf. I managed to keep a consistant pace going (6:20-6:40 km). Overall finish time 1hr 58:30.

Race walking is still my back up plan for the Brighton Marathon which is in 4 weeks time. It was a good experiment today to see if I can switch from running to race walking and after a couple of hundred metres of discomfort in the transition between muscle groups I found that I could walk comfortably. If I end up having to walk the marathon I think that I can aim for somewhere around 4:45 hours.

Julie Big Grin
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
21-03-2010, 08:59 PM,
(21-03-2010, 04:51 PM)Bierzo Baggie Wrote:
(21-03-2010, 07:00 AM)anlu247 Wrote: A few weeks ago, I also had a virus which was a message from an "antivirus company" telling me that I should buy their antivirus because there was a hacker trying to find out my credit card number. If I bought that antivirus online, I would get rid of the problem. In fact, it was a way to have my credit card number and use it. Obviously, I didn´t buy it but I couldn´t use the computer because the message prevented me from being able to use the internet. I took it to a computer shop and my PC is all right now.

Saludos desde Almería

Yep, the same thing happened to me Antonio! By the way... are you training for anything, you know, ....long?

What a coincidence, BB!
Well, I´m going to Connemara. I´ve entered the ultra marathon, 39 miles, a marathon and a half but I´ll probably do just a half marathon and a half, that is, 31 or 32 kms since I haven´t trained too long distances and I have some discomfort in my left knee. Are you going to take part in any races soon, BB?

Congratulations, Julie. It must have been hard to run with such a pain. Get better from your injury so that you can do Brighton marathon. I´m following your piece of advice, you know, going faster in the last kilometres when you feel more tired.

21-03-2010, 09:42 PM,
Good work Jules. I like your positive approach to a difficult situation. 4:45 is pretty darned respectable for walking!
I take my hat off to you madam.

Antonio it's a shame you won't finish the Connemara course as all three races - half, marathon and ultra - are due to finish at the same point. I guess if you have to stop the sweeper bus will bring you to the finish.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

21-03-2010, 09:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 21-03-2010, 10:13 PM by Bierzo Baggie.)
(21-03-2010, 08:59 PM)anlu247 Wrote: What a coincidence, BB!
Well, I´m going to Connemara. I´ve entered the ultra marathon, 39 miles, a marathon and a half but I´ll probably do just a half marathon and a half, that is, 31 or 32 kms since I haven´t trained too long distances and I have some discomfort in my left knee. Are you going to take part in any races soon, BB?

Well, I guess it was something similar, if not the same. Some false anti-virus disabled my computer and said I was infected with all sorts of unsavoury stuff, which I wasn't, and I ended up taking it to Javi my computer man! He sorted it out for me.. at a cost of course, ouch!

So, you're "going ultra" just like all the "guerreros viejos" seem to be doing these days Wink Good luck, whatever happens (not knowing is the exciting part!) and listen to Ladyrunner's sound run-walk strategy. I reckon this is a really effective way of reducing injuries and prolonging your running shelf life! I've walked sections of 5 of my 8 road marathons.. although I must admit it wasn't actually a strategy Blush

A few races coming up .. I'll try and reactivate my running diary again.
22-03-2010, 06:43 AM,
(21-03-2010, 09:42 PM)Sweder Wrote: Good work Jules. I like your positive approach to a difficult situation. 4:45 is pretty darned respectable for walking!
I take my hat off to you madam.

Antonio it's a shame you won't finish the Connemara course as all three races - half, marathon and ultra - are due to finish at the same point. I guess if you have to stop the sweeper bus will bring you to the finish.

Well, S., my aim is to go as far as I can and/or I´m allowed to. However, I think it is going to be difficult for me to do the whole course although I´d love to.

Bierzo Baggie wrote:
So, you're "going ultra" just like all the "guerreros viejos" seem to be doing these days Good luck, whatever happens (not knowing is the exciting part!) and listen to Ladyrunner's sound run-walk strategy. I reckon this is a really effective way of reducing injuries and prolonging your running shelf life! I've walked sections of 5 of my 8 road marathons.. although I must admit it wasn't actually a strategy [/quote]

Gracias, BB. I follow Ladyrunner´s sound-run-walk strategy, which Suzie has encouraged us to do for a long time. When I go for a long run, I like doing the first 30 minutes running and then one minute walking and 9 running. It´s great since you break the run in small parts. If I managed to do the whole ultra, I´d probably do the walk breaks more frequently after just 4 or five minutes walking.

22-03-2010, 04:39 PM,
That sounds like a good plan Antonio. Have you managed to get any long training run/walks in like Cabo de Gato to Almeria?? Hope your knee holds out on you.

I think that I could be tempted to do the Connemara Ultra next year if there is a RC trip 2011. But it would be a leisurely run/walk as I'm giving up distance races where I run them as fast as I possibly can after the Brighton Marathon. Going from slog it to enjoy it!! Smile

Trying to get myself a physio appointment with the local expert, so that I can get my calf sorted out for the Brighton Marathon.
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
22-03-2010, 10:04 PM,
(22-03-2010, 04:39 PM)ladyrunner Wrote: That sounds like a good plan Antonio. Have you managed to get any long training run/walks in like Cabo de Gato to Almeria?? Hope your knee holds out on you.

I think that I could be tempted to do the Connemara Ultra next year if there is a RC trip 2011. But it would be a leisurely run/walk as I'm giving up distance races where I run them as fast as I possibly can after the Brighton Marathon. Going from slog it to enjoy it!! Smile

Trying to get myself a physio appointment with the local expert, so that I can get my calf sorted out for the Brighton Marathon.

Gracias, Julie. Well, actually, my longest distance has been just 22 km. I think I could have done a longer distance but I haven´t had much time. So, I´m not very confident to do the 39 miles but if I take it very easy, I might do it in 9 hours if I´m lucly with injuries and I´m allowed to go so slowly.

Good luck with your calf. I hope you can do Brighton first marathon not suffering too much.

It would be great to have an ultra RC team for Connemara 2011.

22-03-2010, 11:42 PM,
Thank you Antonio. I now have an appointment with the physio for Thursday evening and my calf is already feeling so much better than yesterday when it was very sore. I'm just hoping it is recovered for Saturday when I have my last long run of 20 miles planned.

9 hours sounds like a good target for your run/walk strategy. If you have time try and fit in a long distance training session taking onboard plenty of fuel and drinks. I guess keeping your body topped up with energy is going to be critial if you are going to finish 39 miles.
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
23-03-2010, 01:08 PM,
4.45 for a marathon walk - in my dreams!!! I like the idea of an ultra 'though. Sweder, didn't you have something up your sleeve in the ultra department?
Phew this is hard work !
23-03-2010, 01:33 PM,
(23-03-2010, 01:08 PM)stillwaddler Wrote: 4.45 for a marathon walk - in my dreams!!! I like the idea of an ultra 'though. Sweder, didn't you have something up your sleeve in the ultra department?

Erm ... if I did it's fallen out. Or got milled in the wash.
Right now the only Ultra on my immediate horizon is a long stint of Jury duty in April.

Actually Ladyrunner mentioned some of the really long (100k plus) walk/ runs as a viable alternative to the attrition of running a marathon as fast as one possibly can. I was reminded today that the (Sussex) Ouse Valley Way extends some 42 miles from its source in Lower Beeding on the Weald right through to the coast at Seaford Bay. I would love to take that on, on a kind of walk/ run/ picnic basis.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

23-03-2010, 01:58 PM,
Antonio, I'm still in awe that you are even thinking of the ulta. My 22 km. runs now don't seem so bad. You will definitely have to do the run/walk system right from the start; and hopefully extend your miles that way.

Suzie