Help ... I have bunion's appearing all of the sudden!!
12-01-2010, 10:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-01-2010, 10:26 PM by ladyrunner.)
Help ... I have bunion's appearing all of the sudden!!
Had a bit of a shock today when I looked down at my feet whilst recovering in the bath, after my 12 mile snow run today with Sweder. There seems to be a bunion that has appeared (overnight??) on each foot on the little toe joint!!HuhHuh

Just checked this out on the internet and it seems to be a Tailor's Bunion.

[Image: n5551553.jpg]

On a website I have just read:-
"It's best to limit the amount of time spent running and jogging, while treating tailor's bunion. Physical activities may cause excessive stress to the foot area."

I have done about 30 miles of running in the snow this week, which must have caused extra stress on both feet and legs. It is a job to stay upright.

Surely these things don't just develop overnight which seems to be what has happened in my case? Anyone got any suggestions or know anything about these?? They don't seem to be painful which is good.

(... and no before you ask I don't wear high heals or stilletos - I am tall enough.) LOL

Julie Smile
Almeria Half Marathon 2017
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
13-01-2010, 12:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 13-01-2010, 12:26 AM by Sweder.)
RE: Help ... I have bunion's appearing all of the sudden!!
I think you might be a Hobbit. Albeit a rather tall one Big Grin

Here's a pretty comprehensive site/ info page.

It seems narrow-toed shoes can cause/ exacerbate the condition. I dount this has developed overnight; they're either not authentic TBs (rather bony spurs or even swollen from the battering you've given them over the past couple of weeks) or you've simply not noticed them before. I try to avoid looking at my feet too much in case I find a problem (thrusts head back into the large pail of sand marked 'in case of injury').

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

13-01-2010, 04:58 AM,
My brother has had bunions all his adult life and they've never been a problem (other than finding a shoe that fits properly). If they're not painful I gather there's no need to do anything. They may even help your running by providing greater stability! Having said all that, my brother is no runner, so I can't say for sure how they'd affect your running style. I wouldn't take them to a doctor however unless they're runner-savvy. Otherwise they'll want to remove them. Doctors always seem to want to cut bits out or replace them when it's not really necessary. Good luck!
Run. Just run.
13-01-2010, 12:46 PM,
Maybe you can try icing them? Probably is the snow running that has caused them, your feet will probably have been moving more in a side to side motion over the lumps and bumps of frozen snow and consequently rubbing against your shoes - maybe parts of your foot that don't normally come into contact with your shoe. Hopefully they will go down as quickly as they appeared.
Time to check out the tready perhaps? Although I can't say I recommend it, I am loathing longer distances on the damn things.

L
Phew this is hard work !
13-01-2010, 12:55 PM,
Thanks for the replies guys. I think that you are probably right that I haven't noticed the bunions forming - I have been wearing ski socks and bed socks constantly since it snowed before xmas so haven't had a good look at my feet for a while.

I think that the bungions were more pronounced and quite red straight after yesterday's snow run as they do seem to have shrunk a bit over night.

I don't wear tight fitting shoes, but maybe my Nike Pegasus Goretex Trail shoes haven't helped matters. They are a snug fit around my toes, with less give in the material than normal trainer material. And all the off-road and snow running that I have done in them over the last few months may have causes additional foot stresses.

...... Actually I have probably put my feet through a mountain of foot stresses after runing for 28 years on rough surfaces!! One 2nd toe joint has already stopped working about 5 years ago.

Still the bunion's don't seem painful, which is good, and I can keep an eye on them now that I have noticed them.

Julie Big Grin
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
13-01-2010, 12:58 PM,
(13-01-2010, 12:46 PM)stillwaddler Wrote: Time to check out the tready perhaps? Although I can't say I recommend it, I am loathing longer distances on the damn things.

...... Never .... the part I enjoy the most about running is being out in the open air.

I might have to look into getting some new trainers though.
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
14-01-2010, 01:53 PM,
Well, when you get to my age and also suffer from a fair degree of osteoporosis, running on slippery services is just not an option, my Dr even banned me from skiing last year so I take my running whenever and whever I can including treadies :-)
Phew this is hard work !
14-01-2010, 01:58 PM,
I guess 'never say never' applies here.
I used to look down my (considerable) snout at treddies until I went to Delhi for work.
In 44C and 100% humidity you'll pretty much kill for a treadmill in aircon Big Grin

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

14-01-2010, 06:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 14-01-2010, 07:31 PM by ladyrunner.)
My rest until the weekend has been interupted as Moylebird has called me asking to do some hill reps with her tonight.

I was surprised that she hasn't been on the treddie today to do her speed session and has instead chosen to hit the slushy pavements.

Had a good look at my feet and will check them when I get in.

Julie Smile
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
14-01-2010, 11:25 PM,
Sorry to hear this, LR, but SW's theory does seem plausible -- that the recent slippery running conditions have caused some unusual chafing on the sides of the feet.

But what do we know? Best advice has to be to get some professional advice if the bumps are still evident in a few days.

Good luck, and keep us updated.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
15-01-2010, 01:01 PM,
Best of luck with the bunions, Julie.

Enjoy the hill reps. They will be useful to go up La Rambla twice at Almería half.

Greetings to Moylebird.

Antonio

15-01-2010, 05:32 PM,
Thanks Antiono.

I am so looking forward to running up La Rambla - I'm getting very excited about coming to Spain.

I just hope we get some sunshine this year Smile
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!