Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2010, January: the road to Molly Malone's
27-01-2010, 04:47 PM,
RE: 2010, January: the road to Molly Malone's
(27-01-2010, 04:11 PM)ladyrunner Wrote: This is all sounding very positive EG. So are you wearing the compression socks as you type??

I had a massage today after a hard week of 50 miles last week. One of my calves was very tight so I'm going to wear mine for a few days to get the blood flowing faster. Will also wear them on the plane on Saturday.

I am wearing them, yes, though I don't think the ones I have are right for me. I've lost some weight since I got them, so they're not quite as compressing as I think they are supposed to be. They fall down all the time, which I suspect isn't supposed to happen. On the other hand (so to speak) I am also wearing my heavy duty calf strap on the troublesome leg which I imagine is doing a similar job. I need to call into Sweatshop on Friday to pick up some gels, so will see if they have any compression gear that might help. I don't normally buy much stuff from Sweatshop but they have a sale on at the moment and have just taken an additional 10% off everything till Jan 31st so there may be a bargain or two going.

The ache is much less today. Still painful to stretch the calf but I can walk about reasonably normally. I'm certain I'll feel perfectly OK to start the race but am just wondering if it will hold up. I'll be very interested to hear what the biomechanics people say on Friday. I should have done it before now.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
27-01-2010, 04:48 PM,
really hope you will be OK El G, take all of LR's advice, some oral ibuprofen might be a good idea too to help calm any inflammation. I'll keep everything crossed for you.

BTW

To Err is human, to Aaar is Pirate
Phew this is hard work !
27-01-2010, 04:48 PM,
(27-01-2010, 04:48 PM)stillwaddler Wrote: really hope you will be OK El G, take all of LR's advice, some oral ibuprofen might be a good idea too to help calm any inflammation. I'll keep everything crossed for you.

BTW

To Err is human, to Aaar is Pirate

Ha ha! Thanks SW. Good luck for your long 'un too.
El Gordo

27-01-2010, 04:51 PM,
Now come on El G - just you pull those socks up right now...
Phew this is hard work !
28-01-2010, 07:49 AM,
(27-01-2010, 04:47 PM)El Gordo Wrote: I am wearing them, yes, though I don't think the ones I have are right for me. I've lost some weight since I got them, so they're not quite as compressing as I think they are supposed to be. They fall down all the time, which I suspect isn't supposed to happen. On the other hand (so to speak) I am also wearing my heavy duty calf strap on the troublesome leg which I imagine is doing a similar job.

It does sound like you need a new pair EG. Happy shopping on Friday.Big GrinBig Grin
Almeria Half Marathon 2017
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
01-02-2010, 04:25 PM,
Postcard from Spain:

Thanks to all for your good wishes and thoughts.

The big story of the weekend is the tremendous result for Sweder and LR -- a just reward for their dedication during the snowy period, and general doggedness whatever the weather. From the icy South Downs to the unseasonal heat of Almeria, they seem to turn in amazing efforts. I'm absolutely delighted for them.

Me? I'm really not too unhappy with my truncated race. In a nutshell, I felt fine in the morning when I got up, though the briefest of warm ups at el stadio instantly roused the auld enemy. Did some pre-race stretching which seemed to help, then set off. Took it very steady at the back for about 3 miles, then the Rambla appeared, which seemed to annoy the leg. It woke up, and seemed in very tetchy mood. The downhill seemed worse, interestingly.

About 2 miles further on it really started to get to me, so I stopped and stretched for a couple of minutes. By the time I rejoined the race I was literally right at the back, just in front of the sweeper bike and a couple of stragglers. I trotted on for about a half mile, limping quite badly. I knew I would have to stop to stretch again, and took the decision to cut my race short at that point. I didn't see how I would be able to take the breaks I needed with the sweeper bike right on top of me. Instead I ducked out, stretched, took a stroll along the sea front, stretched again, then rejoined the race in the opposite direction, jogging back towards the finish. In the end, it was a 9.5 mile training run which actually isn't too bad. Disappointing of course not to have felt able to finish the race properly but if I'd managed that distance at home feeling as I do, I would have been pretty pleased. Really, it's no big deal. Considering that I was anxious I might not even be able to start, I'm OK with it.

Today (Monday) it feels absolutely fine, but I know that it will flare up again when I run, so have decided not to join the others on their mountain run. To be honest, the leg doesn't seem to get worse, but I don't know if I'm just inviting a difficult injury by running two days in a row, so am playing it safe.

I had an interesting and useful visit to the gait analysis clinic which I'll talk about in the main entry.
El Gordo

01-02-2010, 04:44 PM,
Glad to hear you made it to the finish safely anyhow. Hope the physio can sort you out when you get back El G, congrats to everyone else. I was thinking of you all. Safe journey back tomorrow.
Phew this is hard work !
07-02-2010, 11:16 PM,
Glad you remain optimistic despite everything. "The Almeria experience" sounds like one of those things that should be sampled at least once... it all seems so familiar now, from the chaotic start to the Quinto Toro... maybe one year Rolleyes
Loved the report.
08-02-2010, 09:12 AM,
I still say it took courage to line up knowing as you did the likely outcome. It's one thing for an engine to give out mid-flight, quite another to take off knowing you have a problem. You'll be back, and you'll bag a sub-2 around those brutally hard streets. If the Saints can win the Superbowl everything is possible!

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

08-02-2010, 11:28 AM,
Yes, thanks for a great report El G. It's disappointing when you miss races or don't perform as well as hoped. But you know how it is: they come around again before you know it. Good luck with the diagnoses and treatments.
08-02-2010, 11:33 AM,
Kind words Sweder, thank you, but I don't think courage came into it. I was keen to do it, and was just hoping I'd be able to manage the problem better. As I said, if this had been the Reading Half for instance, I reckon I could have plodded on because of the much longer cut-off. Almeria and that bloody sweeper bike are unforgiving -- but that's OK with me. It's a different race with a different attitude, and I knew this before I set off. The thing is, I ended up actually being quite happy with my run. I did 9.6 miles, and even including all the stretching breaks, the walk at the end, and the several minutes sitting on the seafront, I 'finished' in 1:56 which is actually quite a good training run time for me!

That said, I'm on a bit of a downer at the moment to be honest, but this will all blow over soon enough. I might even try to get out for a plod this afternoon. I've been stretching and trying to get into these core exercises, but they are boring. Did a spinning class last week, and must keep these up.

Have you scheduled any spin classes yet?
El Gordo

08-02-2010, 11:35 AM,
(08-02-2010, 11:28 AM)glaconman Wrote: Yes, thanks for a great report El G. It's disappointing when you miss races or don't perform as well as hoped. But you know how it is: they come around again before you know it. Good luck with the diagnoses and treatments.

Cheers GM. Aye, I can't imagine giving this up just yet, so need to tackle the problem and try to solve it once and for all.
El Gordo

08-02-2010, 12:34 PM,
(08-02-2010, 11:33 AM)El Gordo Wrote: Almeria and that bloody sweeper bike are unforgiving -- but that's OK with me.

Indeed, having to catch up with the sweeper bike is not something that happens very often.

Consummate report, EG, a joy to read. Yet again, the message is core strength... I think the physio profession is trying to tell you something. As you say, time to find a quiet spot and play with your balls.
08-02-2010, 02:11 PM,
(08-02-2010, 12:34 PM)marathondan Wrote:
(08-02-2010, 11:33 AM)El Gordo Wrote: Almeria and that bloody sweeper bike are unforgiving -- but that's OK with me.

Indeed, having to catch up with the sweeper bike is not something that happens very often.

Consummate report, EG, a joy to read. Yet again, the message is core strength... I think the physio profession is trying to tell you something. As you say, time to find a quiet spot and play with your balls.

BounceBump2Playball
El Gordo

08-02-2010, 03:16 PM,
Congratulations on the report and the race, EG. Doing nearly 16 km feeling some discomfort in a leg is very hard. I hope you get better so that you can finish Reading half and Connemara enjoying the race. Anyway, the race is the excuse to meet friends and have a good time all together.

Saludos desde Almería

08-02-2010, 03:51 PM,
(08-02-2010, 03:16 PM)anlu247 Wrote: Anyway, the race is the excuse to meet friends and have a good time all together.

Ha ha! Yes indeed, and some very nice new friends we made this year too.
El Gordo

08-02-2010, 09:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-02-2010, 09:02 PM by Seafront Plodder.)
Core strength stuff

I’ve read your stuff on core strength El G although I don’t profess to understand it much.

Now you and I are of similar err…ability. So how can it be that I can take a slightly less disciplined approach Blush , do all my training runs on concrete and not get injured? Core strength maybe?

Not that I've ever thought about it (until my run tonight that is), but tennis must be great for this. Quads at work a lot, abs in use from serving, lots of explosive movements failing to get to that drop shot. Angry

Sorted...You know what you have to do. And you know what? It's not poncing about on an inflatable ball with loads of middle-aged women either. It's mans stuff with beer afterwards grrr...
08-02-2010, 09:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-02-2010, 09:49 PM by El Gordo.)
(08-02-2010, 09:00 PM)Seafront Plodder Wrote: Core strength stuff

I’ve read your stuff on core strength El G although I don’t profess to understand it much.

Now you and I are of similar err…ability. So how can it be that I can take a slightly less disciplined approach Blush , do all my training runs on concrete and not get injured? Core strength maybe?

Not that I've ever thought about it (until my run tonight that is), but tennis must be great for this. Quads at work a lot, abs in use from serving, lots of explosive movements failing to get to that drop shot. Angry

Sorted...You know what you have to do. And you know what? It's not poncing about on an inflatable ball with loads of middle-aged women either. It's mans stuff with beer afterwards grrr...

Great shout, SP. I think you're absolutely right.

Tennis has an awful lot of swiveling and stretching which are major core strength-building activities. It was something Sweder and I mused on in Almeria -- that despite your lack of running you seem to be able to maintain an impressive stamina and endurance for medium-length running distances. As long as you can avoid ankle and knee injuries (which I suspect tennis must be bad for), it sounds like a superb core-strength activity. Golf is good as well. A good swing must work wonders for core-strength.

Y'know, I might follow this one up.

Glaconman used to be (still is?) a very keen tennis player, which may well have helped his fabulous improvement over the last year or two.

Cheers! Good idea.
El Gordo

09-02-2010, 08:42 AM,
(08-02-2010, 09:48 PM)El Gordo Wrote: Golf is good as well. A good swing must work wonders for core-strength.

As anyone who has had the misfortune to play golf with me will attest, I don't possess one of those. Blush
09-02-2010, 08:50 AM,
Although you do play extremely well your action could never be described as a 'swing'.
The word that comes to mind as you swat the pill into the stratosphere is 'bludgeon'.
Devilishly effective I must say Big Grin

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  July 2010 - We're all in this together El Gordo 17 16,179 27-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  2010, April El Gordo 0 2,174 05-04-2010, 11:56 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  2010, February -> The clifftop path El Gordo 4 4,556 27-02-2010, 02:32 PM
  2007 - January El Gordo 33 19,023 09-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  2006 - January El Gordo 51 28,201 05-02-2006, 02:15 PM