Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2010, January: the road to Molly Malone's
15-01-2010, 01:06 PM,
RE: 2010, January: the road to Molly Malone's
I also had problems with my calf and after going to a podiatrist and wearing orthotics I haven´t had much problem with it.

Best of luck with your calf, EG.

17-01-2010, 11:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 17-01-2010, 11:30 PM by El Gordo.)
Thanks Anlu.

Update: Had a full-on massage on Friday, and have given myself another 2 full days to rest up. Sadly, rather too much beer flowed during the weekend too.

Bought some new insole things today, and tomorrow I start my 2 weeks of concentrated prep.

Almeria will not be a triumph. Aim has to be to get round in one piece, which I'll be happy with. If I do, it will give me the confidence to turn up the gas a bit again for the races on the way in March and April. More detail in the blog, eventually.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
25-01-2010, 03:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 25-01-2010, 03:25 PM by Sweder.)
Just caught up with the latest blog entry - good work indeed; a confidence booster.
We set sail on our Almerian adventure with the skipper in good voice and finer fettle than we dared hope.

Hoist the Mainsail! Splice the Mainbrace!
Shiver me timbers, we sail for Spain our flag flown high!
For England! For glory! Avast there me Hearties!

[Image: pirates.JPG]

(That's enough unauthorised caffine Sweder - Ed)

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

25-01-2010, 04:00 PM,
Appreciate the boost old chap, though I fear I won't be a great inspiration in the company of such a hill-hardened crew. I'll be the back marker by some distance, so make sure you have a good book in your kit bags if you plan on waiting for me after you finish. Despite those caveats, I should be in a much better way than I feared I might be a couple of weeks ago when I was privately doubting I would make it to the start line. I don't want to tempt fate but the calf feels absolutely fine today, despite the 13 miles yesterday and the spinning this morning. Maybe these insoles really have helped -- or maybe the massage and a bit of time was all that was required.

Main thing was the confidence of doing the distance yesterday. I doubt I was a very pretty sight for much of it, and nor will I be next Sunday, but at least I know I can get round.

I suspect we'll certainly enjoy that traditional first beer back at the hotel. Can't wait. Hurrah!
El Gordo

25-01-2010, 07:36 PM,
(25-01-2010, 04:00 PM)El Gordo Wrote: I suspect we'll certainly enjoy that traditional first beer back at the hotel. Can't wait. Hurrah!

You're not kidding brother.
My last proper beer was finished on 24th December at around 6pm.
I. Am. READY.

25-01-2010, 09:27 PM,
Just had a read of your Sunday blog entry - it sounds like all is looking good for Almeria with you managing to run 30 miles last week. Hopefully you won't get too much calf pain on Sunday for the HM.

Will you be resting it now or are you planning on a gentle jog or two before the race??

I did a speed session tonight (5 miles total) and will probably go out Wednesday or Thursday for a gently 3 miles. That's it - rest as much as possible.

Julie Smile
Almeria Half Marathon 2017
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
25-01-2010, 10:29 PM,
(25-01-2010, 09:27 PM)ladyrunner Wrote: Just had a read of your Sunday blog entry - it sounds like all is looking good for Almeria with you managing to run 30 miles last week. Hopefully you won't get too much calf pain on Sunday for the HM.

Will you be resting it now or are you planning on a gentle jog or two before the race??

I did a speed session tonight (5 miles total) and will probably go out Wednesday or Thursday for a gently 3 miles. That's it - rest as much as possible.

Julie Smile

Current plan is to do some treadmill intervals tomorrow, then a spinning class on Wednesday and a shortish run on Thursday. I'm still trying to incinerate some fat before the weekend.

I was pleased with the mileage last week though there's a marked lack of speed. I'm not too worried about that though. I need to rebuild some endurance first after a very patchy last 6 weeks or so. Sunday will be a struggle, but at least I'm confident now that I'll get round. There was a question mark about that before last week, but banking 30 miles without injury has made me feel better. The legs are a bit sore but I think that's just the usual post-long run feeling.
El Gordo

25-01-2010, 11:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 25-01-2010, 11:52 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Heartening to hear you're feeling more confident, EG, as you should be after a 13 miler - great effort! Looking forward to reading of your Almeria exploits.

I am worried about Sweder, though - he seems to have gone all ... piratic. Sad
Run. Just run.
26-01-2010, 05:42 AM,
(25-01-2010, 11:51 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: I am worried about Sweder, though - he seems to have gone all ... piratic. Sad

Whatsat Matey?
I'll 'ave yer gizzards fer garters!
Aaaaaaargh!

26-01-2010, 12:22 PM,
(25-01-2010, 10:29 PM)El Gordo Wrote:
(25-01-2010, 09:27 PM)ladyrunner Wrote: Just had a read of your Sunday blog entry - it sounds like all is looking good for Almeria with you managing to run 30 miles last week. Hopefully you won't get too much calf pain on Sunday for the HM.

Julie Smile

Current plan is to do some treadmill intervals tomorrow, then a spinning class on Wednesday and a shortish run on Thursday. I'm still trying to incinerate some fat before the weekend.

I was pleased with the mileage last week though there's a marked lack of speed. I'm not too worried about that though. I need to rebuild some endurance first after a very patchy last 6 weeks or so. Sunday will be a struggle, but at least I'm confident now that I'll get round. There was a question mark about that before last week, but banking 30 miles without injury has made me feel better. The legs are a bit sore but I think that's just the usual post-long run feeling.

Update -- legs still a bit sore today, so I think I'll pass on the intervals, which would probably not make much difference at this point in any case. Might just pop out for a casual 3 or 4 miler later today, with the same on Thursday. Still aiming for spinning tomorrow at 7 a.m. though. I'm a right addict, me.
El Gordo

26-01-2010, 05:57 PM,
EG, Do you have any knee length compression socks that you can wear under your trousers for the next few days?

They would increase the blood flow around your calf muscle helping it to recover quicker.

Julie Big Grin
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
26-01-2010, 06:28 PM,
(26-01-2010, 05:57 PM)ladyrunner Wrote: EG, Do you have any knee length compression socks that you can wear under your trousers for the next few days?

They would increase the blood flow around your calf muscle helping it to recover quicker.

Julie Big Grin

I do but.....

Bad news.

Just went for a mild 3.5 mile jog, and 2 miles in, something bad happened in the calf. Not sure what yet, but it was too painful to run, and I had to walk the last 1.5 miles home.

Damn.

More later. I need to dash out, but this isn't good news....

Frusty
El Gordo

26-01-2010, 07:41 PM,
This is worrying news; still sound advice from LR; whack those socks on.
Can't hurt.

26-01-2010, 09:07 PM,
Oh crikey, that's terrible... hope it's just a temporary set-back EG. Fingers crossed for Almeria...
Run. Just run.
26-01-2010, 10:16 PM,
No, not good news EG.

If I were you it would be complete rest now until sunday. Twice daily icing followed by a covering of 10% Ibuleve. Daily self massaging of the calf with a lotion/oil. Gentle calf stretches against wall or a towel round your toes, and gentle calf lifts on a step. Compression socks 24/7 (apart from when carrying out the above treatments or showering). And definately compression socks on Sunday even if it's a heat waveTongueTongue.

Ohhh .... and a handful of mixed nuts or peanuts a day - good source of protein to repair muscle.

I can do you a good calf muscle rub down on Saturday - I only charge 1000E a time (heheehee) Big Grin

The measures that we go to as a runner to get to the start line!!
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
27-01-2010, 12:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 27-01-2010, 12:15 AM by El Gordo.)
Great advice I'm sure, LR, thank you.

I've just posted a brief entry about today.

It's really very annoying. I can't stress enough that the weird thing is that is doesn't seem like a bad injury i.e. nothing has torn or pulled or popped out. It's like a strong cramp in the centre of the calf. If I rest up and have another massage, it may very well be OK for me to jog around on Sunday but I no longer think it will just go away. This is the 3rd time it's happened this month (New Year's Day, 2 Wednesdays ago and today). Between these peaks (if that's the right word) I just have some discomfort but nothing bad enough to stop me running -- heck I managed 13 miles last Sunday with it shouting at me all the way, but just not enough for me to feel I had to stop, unlike today.

Grrrr.

Tomorrow's another day. I'll see how it is then. In the meantime, I'll see if Phil can give me a rubdown before the weekend.
El Gordo

27-01-2010, 09:07 AM,
Update: managed to get a Friday massage booked.
El Gordo

27-01-2010, 02:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 27-01-2010, 02:26 PM by Antonio247.)
Best of luck, EG. Let´s hope that your calf gets better for Sunday so that you can do the half or part of it if you notice some pain.

27-01-2010, 02:42 PM,
(27-01-2010, 02:25 PM)anlu247 Wrote: Best of luck, EG. Let´s hope that your calf gets better for Sunday so that you can do the half or part of it if you notice some pain.

Thanks Antonio.

Further update: I've also now booked some heavy duty gait and biomechanical analysis for Friday afternoon, after the massage.

Drummond Clinic

Need to get to the bottom of this. I don't know if they'll be able to help me there and then but at least it will get the ball rolling. I'm hoping that with LR's advice, I can at least jog round the course. The beer won't taste as good if I have to withdraw from the race.
El Gordo

27-01-2010, 04:11 PM,
This is all sounding very positive EG. So are you wearing the compression socks as you type??

I had a massage today after a hard week of 50 miles last week. One of my calves was very tight so I'm going to wear mine for a few days to get the blood flowing faster. Will also wear them on the plane on Saturday.
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  July 2010 - We're all in this together El Gordo 17 16,161 27-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  2010, April El Gordo 0 2,165 05-04-2010, 11:56 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  2010, February -> The clifftop path El Gordo 4 4,545 27-02-2010, 02:32 PM
  2007 - January El Gordo 33 19,006 09-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  2006 - January El Gordo 51 28,160 05-02-2006, 02:15 PM