Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When too much cricket is barely enough.
16-12-2009, 10:21 PM,
When too much cricket is barely enough.
Here we are, mid-December and cricket season is in full swing. The southern hemisphere is awash with test cricket, the domestic season is enthralling, and all forms of the game are producing some sensational players and some exciting games. It's going to be a great summer down here!

But the question we're all asking ourselves here is this: is Australia going to go through an entire test series without a single century being scored by an Aussie batsman? We're in the third test against the West Indies now and still haven't cracked a ton, though Katich came as close as possible yesterday with a very fine 99 before throwing his wicket away with the first rash shot of his innings. Shane Watson has made two big scores: 96 and 89 to get close to his maiden test century but can't quite get there. Mike Hussey is our next best chance later today, being 81 not out overnight and playing well, but we'll see.

Australian cricket is still going through a self-searching phase. We have many talented players but the team doesn't gel the way it did before Gilchrist, Warne and McGrath quit to concentrate on IPL big bucks showgirl cricket. However, Shane Watson has answered his critics with some very fine performances in the opener's role, and he and Katich are rapidly cementing themselves as the new Hayden/Langer combo. Meanwhile, serious opening batsmen such as Phil Hughes and James Hopes can't get back in the side, and it's curious that in a country stuffed full of classy batsmen, it's a bowler who has claimed the opening spot. Have to say though, that while Watson first made it into the team as a bowler who could also bat usefully, he's quickly shown himself to be a very classy and prodigious run-scorer who's not afraid of the new ball, and we now think of him as an opening batsman who can also bowl a bit! That hasn't happened too often.

Meanwhile, bowlers come and go, and it's heartening to see so many good bowlers who likewise can't get back into the team becsause of the competition. Bowlers like Krezja, MacDonald, Bracken and Hilfenhaus are world-class bowlers who are really struggling to convince the selectors to give them another go. And Stu Clarke has now sadly retired due to chronic injury. Doug Bollinger was another one seemingly lost, but is now back in thanks to the injury to Peter Siddle, who now will likewise struggle to get back in the side.

But for all the wealth of talent, the problem remains that the performances are well below that of the Gilchrist/Warne/McGrath days. Some blame the captain, Ponting, and the downfall of Mike Hussey (whose batting average has fallen from over 80 to just over 50), but really it's a combination of many things. Like a high-performance motor vehicle, you need all those quality components to be finely tuned and working in harmony for the vehicle to show its true class. Personally, I think we do need the super stars to make a super team. Ponting is still a superb batsmen, possibly the world's best, and certainly playing off the back foot he would have to be, but there it ends. Hussey is now merely excellent, and we have no super star bowlers. Mitchell Johnston is unplayable on a good day, but doesn't have the consistency to be a McGrath or Warne. Like it or not, the super stars really do seem to cement a team to that pedestal of greatness. And we're missing them.

One name to remember: George Bailey. A 27 yo from Tasmania (Ponting's home state), he is really shining as captain of that state in the national competition and is being tipped as a future captain of Australia. A blistering right hand bat and useful medium pace bowler, he has really blossomed this year and will be in the national side very soon, and likely groomed for future captaincy, given his performances for his home state. Remember that name, cricket watchers.

I saw something of the New Zealand -v- Pakistan series just concluded, and was not inspired. But then it's hard to be inspired when the national teams are playing in empty stadiums. Astonishing really, but Kiwis just don't seem to go to the cricket, even when they're winning. The Pakistanis looked cold and miserable and were really lacklustre. The series was slow and dull and inevitably perhaps, ended up drawn. The third test could have been an absolute cracker, with the series tied 1-all, it came down the last session of the last day. New Zealand needed a modest total to win, but the pitch was doing a little and the bowlers had their tails up. Finally it seemed the series was turning into something approaching a nail-biting classic when ... it rained. And kept on raining. The three spectators at the ground trudged off home and that was it.

Hopefully nothing like that will happen in the South Africa -v- South Africa series in South Africa, just started. I know, I know, that was churlish of me but honestly, something has be wrong with English cricket when you need four South African imports in your test team. One or two here and there is perhaps normal and inevitable, but four? And four South Africans at that? Sorry, but it's as if team selection was carried out by Chelsea FC, or maybe the ANC.

Anyway, I see already Jacques Kallis is being a thorn in The English South African side - don't feel bad, he does that to us too. Sad

Alright, I have to fly if I'm to get my chores done before day 2 starts in Perth. Must leave it there.

Ciao, cricket lovers.
Run. Just run.
17-12-2009, 12:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 17-12-2009, 12:07 AM by El Gordo.)
RE: When too much cricket is barely enough.
Cheers MLCM. As you know, I'm not a great cricket lover, or at least not very knowledgeable about it. I love the ideaof cricket, even if the execution rarely lives up to that potential.

But thanks for the snapshot of where we are with the Aussie game. I still don't know if we'll be over for the Ashes a year from now (we are in two minds between Australia and India, as you know). I love your enthusiam for the sport, and wherever we end up, I'll be watching the one fixture that continues to enthrall a relative neutral like me. Your notes will help me understand what we have to overcome. Thanks again.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
17-12-2009, 10:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 17-12-2009, 10:38 AM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
Well what a day. Five fifties from the Aussies to get to 7/520 declared, but not one century. That's 15 fifties they've trotted out in three tests without a single hundred.

And then ... and THEN, Ponting puts the Windies in to bat and Chris Gayle launches into the attack and scores a hundred in 72 balls ... the fifth fastest ever! That's how you do it, boys!

No wonder I love this game! Heart
Run. Just run.
20-12-2009, 08:58 AM,
OK it's all over now bar the shouting - Australia won the series 2-0, but apart from the first test it was hugely entertaining and the West Indies gave a good account of themselves. Amazingly the Windies bowlers prevented any Aussie scoring a century, while they managed three for the series.

Pick of the Windies for me were fast bowler Kemar Roach, spinner Suleman Benn and of course captain and master batsman Chris Gayle.

Best Aussie performances came from the bowlers: Doug Bollinger was very impressive with his work effort, pace and accuracy and is already being compared to Merv Hughes for his tenacity and committment. And once again Nathan Hauritz has confounded his critics (including me) with a brilliant exhibition of off-spin bowling and another bag of wickets. Best batting came from openers Shane Watson and Simon Katich ... an opening combo that will be hard to shift I think.

Next test is the Boxing Day test against Pakistan in Melbourne. CAN'T WAIT!
Run. Just run.
20-12-2009, 10:34 PM,
Sorry, I was too busy watching the gripping end to the SA-England test. We made life difficult for ourselves by collapsing after lunch (as they say), leading to a very nervous ending. SA were 1 wicket away from victory for the last few overs, but Onions and Collingwood managed to repulse everything that was thrown at them (cricket balls in the main), to secure the draw.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
20-12-2009, 10:47 PM,
To give MLCMan a better understanding it was rather like the last day at Cardiff in the first 2009 Ashes test.
Let's hope the rest of this series folllows that pattern Big Grin

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

21-12-2009, 09:39 AM,
(20-12-2009, 10:47 PM)Sweder Wrote: To give MLCMan a better understanding it was rather like the last day at Cardiff in the first 2009 Ashes test.
Let's hope the rest of this series folllows that pattern Big Grin

Yes. Indeed. Hmm.

Dodgy
Run. Just run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vellicating cricket Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 1 1,763 19-02-2014, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Cricket World Cup El Gordo 44 25,059 25-12-2009, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  English Cricket Sweder 4 2,950 21-12-2009, 06:44 AM
Last Post: martinfoster
  When too much cricket is nowhere to be seen. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 6 3,281 30-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Real cricket. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 9 5,748 20-09-2009, 07:33 AM
  Never enough cricket. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 0 1,435 19-05-2008, 09:47 PM
  Cricket rules question. Seafront Plodder 5 2,656 10-09-2006, 10:32 AM
  It's just not cricket! Seafront Plodder 4 2,368 07-09-2005, 10:03 PM