Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Desperate in December
29-12-2009, 04:03 AM,
Boxing Day test.
(28-12-2009, 11:35 PM)Sweder Wrote: Jim Maxwell reckons you had 100,000 in the ground for the first 2 days; that's impressive.

Perhaps, but it's still a downward trajectory, being the smallest Boxing Day MCG crowd since the rain-marred India test in 1999. Test cricket really does seem to be suffering, despite some gripping tests in recent times.

Bloody IPL. Sad
Run. Just run.
29-12-2009, 06:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 29-12-2009, 06:43 AM by Sweder.)
RE: Desperate in December
Could it be the opposition this time? After the horror in Lahore this year could be a reaction. Pakistan, through no fault of the team, have become the new pariahs of test cricket. Your boys should be safe enough with a +400 lead. Highest run chase to win at the 'G was 330 or so back in 1928.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

29-12-2009, 08:45 PM,
(29-12-2009, 06:10 AM)Sweder Wrote: Your boys should be safe enough with a +400 lead. Highest run chase to win at the 'G was 330 or so back in 1928.

At test level, that's true, but lately there have been some enormous 4th innings totals at first class state level there. The MCG uses drop-in pitches (the only Oz ground to do so) that are quickly becoming known as "nine day pitches" because they hold up so well. We'll soon know, anyhow.
Run. Just run.
29-12-2009, 09:02 PM,
Flat out first thing.
Incredulously I have been continung to take advantage of the warm conditions here to get in an early run before the day starts. This morning I was on the streets again well before 5 a.m. to tick off another 3km shortie before hitting the train to w*rk.

Going from a dead, deep sleep to full-on running in the wee small hours it not something I am well known for, and probably care for even less, but I had set myself a challenge today of completing the 3km in less than 17 minutes, just to prove to myself that I am indeed progressing reasonably well. Despite protests from both knees who thought it impudent of me to roust them from a deep, warm, comfortable sleep to thrust them uncaringly onto the hard pre-dawn tarmac without as much as a good morning, I completed the course in 16:25, comfortably within my target time, and over a minute faster than my previous best. My times for this new short course over the last couple of weeks therefore have been 18:11, 17:43, 17:29 and 16:25. I hadn't actually intended to deliberately turn this into speed training - really it was just a way of keeping me running, if only for a handful of kms, but there you go, I guess I just can't help myself. It may well all come to an end when the weather eventually turns cooler, but for now I'm making the most of it.

Anyway, it's all very positive and I'm enjoying it, so let's see where it takes me.

Cool
Run. Just run.
30-12-2009, 12:06 AM,
RE: Flat out first thing.
(29-12-2009, 09:02 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: Incredulously I have been continung to take advantage of the warm conditions here to get in an early run before the day starts. This morning I was on the streets again well before 5 a.m. to tick off another 3km shortie before hitting the train to w*rk.

Going from a dead, deep sleep to full-on running in the wee small hours it not something I am well known for, and probably care for even less, but I had set myself a challenge today of completing the 3km in less than 17 minutes, just to prove to myself that I am indeed progressing reasonably well. Despite protests from both knees who thought it impudent of me to roust them from a deep, warm, comfortable sleep to thrust them uncaringly onto the hard pre-dawn tarmac without as much as a good morning, I completed the course in 16:25, comfortably within my target time, and over a minute faster than my previous best. My times for this new short course over the last couple of weeks therefore have been 18:11, 17:43, 17:29 and 16:25. I hadn't actually intended to deliberately turn this into speed training - really it was just a way of keeping me running, if only for a handful of kms, but there you go, I guess I just can't help myself. It may well all come to an end when the weather eventually turns cooler, but for now I'm making the most of it.

Anyway, it's all very positive and I'm enjoying it, so let's see where it takes me.

Cool

Good man. You're doing better than me at the moment. Keep that up, and your sub-2 half will be very achievable.

Bastard.

Peace
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
30-12-2009, 11:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 30-12-2009, 11:37 PM by Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man.)
RE: Flat out first thing.
(30-12-2009, 12:06 AM)El Gordo Wrote: Good man. You're doing better than me at the moment. Keep that up, and your sub-2 half will be very achievable.

Yes I believe it is achievable, EG. I've gone close with a couple of half marathon training runs around 2:05 - I just have to put in the training.

Speaking of which, I put in my third run in three days this morning, with a brisk 5km. This nearly didn't happen as I woke feeling really, really exhausted, but as I'm making such good progress I didn't want to miss this one, so I faffed around for a while until I felt awake enough to don the running gear.

I'd set myself a target of sub-30 minutes for this run, as that's sort of my benchmark - when I'm running 5km training runs under 30 minutes it's generally an indication that I'm hitting some reasonable base form. Today's came in at 29:00 so I was very pleased given how I tired I was. It was probably more mentally tough than physically so, but then training is half about mental toughness anyhow, don't you think..?

To put it into perspective though, that's the kind of speed I need to maintain for the full 21.1km if I'm to go under 2 hours for the half. Still, as a launching pad it's quite an acceptable one.

I now have a month off work, so am hoping to get some even more regular running under my belt. I'm off to Adelaide shortly to finish the renovation saga that is the old family home over there. Hard work, which I'll consider cross-training, but I'm hoping to run a few of my old favourite running trails as well, including some hills work.

This morning's run will be my last until Sunday's race - two rest days seem appropriate. I'm keen to see how I go - will report back then.

Meantime, Party Happy New Year Party everyone!

Track du Jour:
Run. Just run.
30-12-2009, 11:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 30-12-2009, 11:41 PM by Sweder.)
Good luck with the race mate.
I find calculating the pace required to bag a race PB can be a little daunting, especially when extrapolated over the full distance. My 5k ParkRun (race) pace is very simliar to my half PB pace. Seeing as how I feel I'm about to barf up a lung during the 5k I find this incredulous, yet the stats don't lie. Best not to think too hard about that I reckon.

A month off? Tea

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

02-01-2010, 08:54 PM,
Well done on the early morning runs. I find them a real struggle, on the rare occasions that I have to fit one in. Only really enjoyable when they finish. But I know some would beg to differ. And of course the endorphin high gets you through the morning.

I'm sure you'll be busy during your month off, but hopefully you'll find some time for some quality runs as well.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diddly December Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 14 1,938 02-01-2019, 01:14 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  A Decent December Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 1 910 09-12-2017, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Charliecat5
  It can't be December already! Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 4 2,167 28-12-2016, 06:50 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  Definitely December Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 3 2,256 12-12-2015, 10:40 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Deadish December 2012 Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 29 17,642 30-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  December 2011... Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 22 12,349 31-12-2011, 01:17 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Decombobulating December. Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 3 2,907 07-12-2008, 12:03 AM
  December December Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 14 7,563 31-12-2006, 06:57 AM