Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something Fishy...
27-11-2009, 12:01 PM,
Something Fishy...
Looking to impress my beloved with something fishy (no sniggering at the back). Anyone got any recipe recommendations for something a bit unusual?

The combined knowledge of RC'ers should be able to come up with something. All suggestions considered, even antipodean ones. Big Grin
27-11-2009, 12:45 PM,
RE: Something Fishy...
I rather like the idea of Great White-bait. Plenty of bite and a nice variation on a traditional, regional theme. You may find you'll need a bigger pan/ oven/ kitchen ... oh and lots of salt.

[Image: Jumping%20great%20white%20shark.JPG]

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

27-11-2009, 12:51 PM,
We eat alot of, what is known in Bombay as, Bangda. Pronounced Bhangra, similar to the music.

Gut some fresh mackerel. Keep the heads and tails on. Score each side with a sharp knife 6 times.

Rub onto the fish a mixture of flour, salt, chilli powder and tumeric. To your taste.

Deep fry the fish on a moderately high flame.

Serve with lemon juice.

Mackerel is the greatest fish in the ocean. Cheap and most delicious.

Having said that I baked some sea trout the other night. And it was bloody lovely.

Neither is particularly unusual though SP.
27-11-2009, 01:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 27-11-2009, 01:44 PM by Seafront Plodder.)
Thanks for the recommendation Gman. Can't recall ever having deep-fried anything though. Could be worth a try, although would have to put the local fire brigade on standby.

Sweder as usual your logistics are all over the place. The easy part is for me to hire a boat this afternoon and catch one of the buggers, the coast of Seaford is probably swarming with them. But you've not given any thought as to how it would fit in my boot.Fish
27-11-2009, 05:46 PM,
This is probably too late for your dinner; but here's a really easy and delicious recipe for fish:

Grate peel from 1/2 lime into small bowl. Squeze in juice from lime. Stir 1 tsp. chili-garlic sauce, 1 tsp. sesame oil, pinch of sugar & salt. (more chili-garlic sauce if you like it spicy). Brush fish with oil or butter and fry/saute until done. Drizzle sauce over fish and sprinkle with cilantro. You'll love this!

Suzie
27-11-2009, 10:00 PM,
Paul and Andy at Paul's Plaice will provide, I'm sure. Kedgeree, well and delicately made, and served with champagne, cannot fail to impress.
Jane Grigson's Fish Book, and Alan Davidson's two volumes on North American and Mediterranean Fish Cookery are always good. But his recipe for Mekong catfish may not be practical
χαιρέτε νικὠμεν
Next race(s): 
In the lap of the gods

28-11-2009, 02:31 PM,
Thanks for the recommendations.

Have decided on baked bream with fennel, orange and provancal herbs. Hope it works...Hungry