Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In the absence of any outdoor running....
26-11-2009, 10:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 26-11-2009, 10:26 AM by Seafront Plodder.)
In the absence of any outdoor running....
I actually managed to keep my date with the gym, and ground out 13,123.36 cubits on the treddy.

A local hotel is doing a bit of a deal at the moment. For 50 florins (that's £5 in new-fangled money Smile ) per visit, one can get an evening of unlimited gym and pool use, with sauna and steam room also available it seems like a cheap evening out to me....so we've bought a book of 10 visits each, with no time limit on usage either.

Forgot though how utterly tediously dull the treadmill is though. I spent part of the time listening to the gushing encouragement of the 'personal trainer' as she took a newbie through an ultra-light run/walk session on the treadmill next to me, only pausing occasionally to studiously record some note on her all important clipboard.

iPod next week that's for sure. Blush
26-11-2009, 11:06 AM,
RE: In the absence of any outdoor running....
Yeah, ipod is essential. Zone out man, and you'll be cool.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
26-11-2009, 12:12 PM,
(26-11-2009, 11:06 AM)El Gordo Wrote: Yeah, ipod is essential. Zone out man, and you'll be cool.

God, yes. I'm a big fan of treadies as you know, but I wouldn't use one without music.
Run. Just run.
30-11-2009, 04:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 30-11-2009, 04:08 PM by stillwaddler.)
I get glued to the tv, great if there is a footie match on, although I always get the urge to run faster when a team advances on goal.

My gym is very big, very good, very cheap for oldies like me - I get it half price - well there has to be some perks to being a wrinkly:-)
Phew this is hard work !
30-11-2009, 08:25 PM,
(30-11-2009, 04:07 PM)stillwaddler Wrote: I get glued to the tv, great if there is a footie match on, although I always get the urge to run faster when a team advances on goal.

Ah, that could be tricky if they're showing highlights or "Goals Of The Century" or some such! Smile
Run. Just run.
30-11-2009, 09:39 PM,
I had a big green field to stare at through a massive window at Ragdale. It was quite weird as gyms tend to be enclosed and urban. It was quite liberating.

At my local gym I also like watching TV. Football is great to watch in theory, but I find it a bit too visual and engrossing for treadmill use, where you need to keep a bit of concentration. I prefer politics programmes or other 'talking heads' as I don't have to gaze at the screen too hard.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
30-11-2009, 10:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 30-11-2009, 10:15 PM by Sweder.)
Treadmills ... you're all weird. Bunch of Stepford Runners.
I'd rather plod my filthy A27 track - just about. Eeeeuuuuwwww ...

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

08-01-2010, 05:20 AM,
TENNIS!!
Pre-Aussie Open satellite tournaments in full swing here SP, and it's all good stuff. And I thought of you because in my favourite pre-Open event, the Hopman Cup in Perth, your girl Laura Robson showed some real promise. I'd never heard of her before (not surprising given her age and ranking), but she played some great shots against Dementieva in the first set and looked good teamed with Andy Murray in the mixed.

You know much about her? Seems to have loads of potential. Only 15yo apparently.
Run. Just run.
08-01-2010, 02:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-01-2010, 02:10 PM by Seafront Plodder.)
Yes she won Junior Wimbledon a couple of years ago age just 14 (against 18 year olds), and is our big hope of getting a Brit into the top 50 sometime soon. A sad indictment in itself considering her age.

As soon as she won JW, you guys (well Pat Cash anyway) tried to claim her as she was born in Oz. Rolleyes

I've been watching The Hopman Cup too. Caught Laura and Murray in the mixed recently which was quite a novelty. She looked totally out of her depth at the net, but Murray's a class act and they saw off an Azerbaijan (sp) pair in 3 sets.

She's not the first girl to mature very early as a tennis player; think Capriati, Hinges and (remember) Tracey Austin? but she seems level-headed and if she continues to improve could be top 10 in a couple of years. Let's face it outside of her and Murray we've got no one else who can compete with the seeds.

Bring on the Aussie Open, at least that'll (...insert some anti-cricket remark here...)
11-01-2010, 11:35 AM,
Tracy Austin did her back in rather early on inher career I seem to remember - I expect they have better training regimes for young tennis players these days.
Phew this is hard work !
11-01-2010, 12:37 PM,
(11-01-2010, 11:35 AM)stillwaddler Wrote: Tracy Austin did her back in rather early on inher career I seem to remember...

Not sure how she did that ... if my memory serves me correctly (sorry), she had a pat-ball serve of no great venom at all. She's a good commentator though - she calls the women's matches most years for the Australian Open.
Run. Just run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No Running to Report, but..... Seafront Plodder 9 5,578 29-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Last Post: suzieq
  I hate running shops….. Seafront Plodder 8 3,435 10-02-2004, 09:44 PM
Last Post: El Gordo