Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Onwards to Brighton
13-11-2009, 09:07 AM,
RE: Onwards to Brighton
(12-11-2009, 03:34 PM)Sweder Wrote: A quirk in the tour schedule means there's an outside chance I might yet get to see the lung-bursting finale to this epic contest. What fun ...

Yep, if you need a break from watching middle-aged wrecks still trying to still do what they should have abandoned 20 years ago, then come and watch some middle-aged wrecks still trying to still do what they should have abandoned 20 years ago.

Would be good to get a mid-tour debrief.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
13-11-2009, 10:41 AM,
(13-11-2009, 09:07 AM)El Gordo Wrote:
(12-11-2009, 03:34 PM)Sweder Wrote: A quirk in the tour schedule means there's an outside chance I might yet get to see the lung-bursting finale to this epic contest. What fun ...

Yep, if you need a break from watching middle-aged wrecks still trying to still do what they should have abandoned 20 years ago, then come and watch some middle-aged wrecks still trying to still do what they should have abandoned 20 years ago.

Ha! Yeah but at least running doesn't leave you deaf and with an inexplicable penchant for black t-shirts.
Run. Just run.
13-11-2009, 01:39 PM,
Ha ha ha ... Yes, the black T shirts are in full force.
As for the has-beens, they're all holdng up rather well; far better in fact than some of the - ahem - crew, who are feeling the pace, to use the running vernacular. Still, onwards and indeed downwards. At least I've more than slaked my thirst for all-day breakfasts ...

The forecast apocalypse may well scupper my plans to be in Brighton. Both bridges are set to close, and the 140 mile detour in gale force winds is coming a distant second to the 'lure' of another Travelodge.

Greybeard

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

13-11-2009, 05:22 PM,
Good news for SP -- expected better from my 4 miler today, but it felt laboured and uninspired. Hope this is just the periodic bad run we all have, and that I'll be out of the traps like a greyhound on speed on Sunday. Wave
El Gordo

19-11-2009, 11:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 19-11-2009, 12:03 PM by Seafront Plodder.)
Brighton 10K
Without wishing to repeat EG’s report, mine starts at the gun.

It took us over two minutes to cross the chip mat and we ran together for the first K or so. I remember thinking how loud his footfalls were compared to everyone else’s, well either that or it was deliberate to remind me of the battle to come. Confused I quickened my pace slightly to put some distance between us, and as we rounded the turn at Black Rock I had gained a 20 yard advantage. I scanned the faces running towards me and saw him. A wry smile crossed my face….the bugger had removed his bright yellow cap! I knew why he’d done it, and it gave me a little extra determination to acknowledge that he was playing a cagey game. Luckily, he didn’t see me.

I plodded on, concentrating on controlled breathing and steady pace. The first water station was preceded by a carpet of plastic cups and I gratefully took one from a helper’s outstretched arm. Attempting to glug on the hoof only resulted in me choking as I tried to swallow at the same time as breathe.

With the wind in our face all the way to the 6.5k turn point at The King Alfred I pressed on, head down. Far too soon for my liking I saw the out-riders following the leader who had broken away from the lead group. Gary of this parish was one of these riders, I shouted to him but he was busy trying to keep us slowbees to the left and didn’t hear. Turns out the race was won in record time for men and women, so ideal conditions then.

Prior to the run I had toyed with the idea of wearing a watch. I don’t have a GPS jobby but my usual watch could tell me whether I was on to achieve my goal of breaking the 60 minutes. In the end I decided against, using the logic that if I were to push myself for the whole way I would be unlikely to be able to go faster if necessary, and wouldn’t slow down if I were up on schedule either.

At the turn I scanned the faces again hoping to catch sight of EG, sans cap. It worried me slightly that I couldn’t see him as I started to believe that he must therefore be right on my arse. This thought, coupled with the wind in my back spurred me on, and I watched the derelict West Pier get closer as I tried to quicken my pace.

It was as I was approaching the Palace Pier, (and with less than a mile to go) that I started to wonder whether I had done enough to break the hour. Past the pier and onto Maderia drive and I could see the finish clock. 00:59:15. My first thought was that I couldn’t do it. I upped the pace again and heard a shout from a lone figure to my left.

Looking every inch a roadie, was Sweder. I couldn’t see his face as he was camera poised, but with shorts, black top and enormous black stetson it could only be one man. I was glad he found the time to come down and I raised a hand as I ran by, attempting a grin whilst trying to look like I wasn’t trying.

00:59:40 and now I’m sprinting, overtaking finishers and beginning to think I could make it. Claire later told me that Tannoy Man was literally screaming at us finishers, urging us on to beat the hour, but to be honest I didn’t hear a thing. My mind was totally focussed on the clock and the reducing yardage to the chip mat. I ran flat out for the last 80 yards or so and crossed the line with 3 seconds to spare. 00:59:57 clock time, 00:57:39 chip time.

Not having sprinted like that since school, I had to lean on the barriers gulping down huge lungfuls of air for a good 2 minutes before I could shuffle on to get my medal and chip removed. No water though and I needed some, so blagged a gulp from an earlier finisher who obviously took pity on my appearance.
Claire wasn’t where we’d agreed she’d be and I started to get cold, so I walked back to find Sweder and meet Tom who had finished so much earlier that he’d had time to get changed.

I finally spotted Claire talking with EG who had by then also finished. We congratulated each other on both achieving fine PB’s, but to be honest I really expected a dollop more humility from the man who had just been soundly put in his place. Second

Suzie has already said here that our light-hearted rivalry probably helped us both achieve what we did, and I think she’s right. I certainly didn’t want to lose, and reckon that was what took me under the hour too.

So, £20 goes to JDRF courtesy of EG. Here’s hoping he gets the chance for revenge before too long.

(L-R SP & EG at start; Snot-laden at 2K; some old bloke at 2K; Race for the Line)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

19-11-2009, 12:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 19-11-2009, 12:18 PM by El Gordo.)
Thank you to the photographer for taking a snap that makes me look like I've escaped from a lunatic asylum Angry

Great report SP, though a little uncharitable in places. The cap removal wasn't quite the clever ruse you imagined. It was getting too windy once the crowd thinned out a little, and I could feel it being tugged from my head, so took it off to improve my aerodynamic qualities. Fat lot of good it did me.

Well done for spotting the water at the start -- I managed to miss it.

Did I really seem lacking in humility? I seem to remember offering you more-than-generous congratulations. In Almeria, you can show me how humble-pie consumption should be done. If you can catch me... Tongue

No, you did very well, as I've said repeatedly. Well done. I think you surprised yourself, never mind the rest of us.

The race is dead. Long live the race! Almeria awaits.
El Gordo

19-11-2009, 12:23 PM,
Sorry EG perhaps I was a bit harsh there as you did congratulate me.

It's just that you wern't on your knees when you did it.Kiss
19-11-2009, 04:21 PM,
Great report and pics SP. Great to hear you were all-out at the finish. I reckon you're on-a-roll at the moment. What's the plan?
24-11-2009, 10:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 24-11-2009, 10:24 AM by Seafront Plodder.)
The plan has been that I've not run a yard since the Brighton 10K. Confused

But I am off to the O2 tonight to see Federer vs Murray in the Tennis World Tour Finals Dance
24-11-2009, 11:42 AM,
(24-11-2009, 10:23 AM)Seafront Plodder Wrote: The plan has been that I've not run a yard since the Brighton 10K. Confused

But I am off to the O2 tonight to see Federer vs Murray in the Tennis World Tour Finals Dance

Less is more ... but that might be a tad too much less Wink
Enjoy tonight. I'm just along the river in Sahfend where a collection of fine rock bands will attempt to send the Cliffs Pavilion sliding into the sea ... hope we don't disrupt the tennis Big Grin

24-11-2009, 11:54 AM,
(24-11-2009, 10:23 AM)Seafront Plodder Wrote: The plan has been that I've not run a yard since the Brighton 10K. Confused

This is a wise plan. I suggest a few weeks rest and recuperation over the festive period, and then take up gradual training in mid to late January. This should see you well prepared for our next round in Almeria.
El Gordo

25-11-2009, 08:27 AM,

A "yard"? Crikey, have you *still* not gone metric over there yet?
Run. Just run.
25-11-2009, 09:50 AM,
(25-11-2009, 08:27 AM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:

I was discussing this very issue with someone over a few half litres the other night....

Nah, it wouldn't be the same somehow.
El Gordo

25-11-2009, 10:04 AM,
(25-11-2009, 09:50 AM)El Gordo Wrote:

I was discussing this very issue with someone over a few half litres the other night....

Nah, it wouldn't be the same somehow.

Maybe, but the local Belgian beer cafe sells Hoegaarden in 1.5 litre glasses... and asking for 2.64 pints of Hoey isn't quite right, either. Undecided
Run. Just run.
25-11-2009, 10:20 AM,
The day I'm told I can't ask for a pint is the day I pack my bags and return to the Zarqquan System.
Grrrr.

25-11-2009, 10:23 AM,
(25-11-2009, 10:20 AM)Sweder Wrote: The day I'm told I can't ask for a pint is the day I pack my bags and return to the Zarqquan System.
Grrrr.

Don't worry, we have pints here too. And we ask for "pints". It's just that they come in glasses stamped "568mL".

Dodgy
Run. Just run.
25-11-2009, 12:36 PM,

I propose all future runs to be reported in furlongs.
25-11-2009, 01:18 PM,
I actually have a date with the gym this evening, where I fully intend to run a goodly few perches on ye olde treadmille.
25-11-2009, 02:59 PM,
I have logged a support request with Garmin to have my watch recalibrated into rods, poles and perches
χαιρέτε νικὠμεν
Next race(s): 
In the lap of the gods

25-11-2009, 07:21 PM,
The metrics is everywhere, Neo.
There's not an ounce of logic among the lot of you.

Tongue
Run. Just run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  London to Brighton Cycle Ride - Training Diary Seafront Plodder 4 1,495 06-01-2017, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder
  Brooks Brighton 10K - (un) Official Photographs Seafront Plodder 8 6,189 20-11-2008, 03:21 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Brighton 10K El Gordo 6 4,502 30-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder
  Onwards and... Seafront Plodder 17 6,831 15-01-2005, 05:37 PM
Last Post: Sweder