Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
October
15-10-2009, 12:41 PM,
October
Sunday 11th October - Beefy's Nab - 3m/650'- Oxenhope

No pictures I'm afraid. But this race yealded a couple of insights.

I can't think of a better way to spend a Sunday afternoon. The kids ran their races hurtling along the side of the reservoir. There were tears. Arms were held aloft in triumph. The adults then set-off for this short, testing assault on the trig-point. Then a perfect pint of TT Landlord drunk in the sunshine amongst good company. That evening's wine and chocolate were won in the raffle. And then back for some home-cooked food and a well-earned nap.

Secondly, I'm crap at running downhill. Whilst I got to the top in about 10th I finished in 21st. By the bottom of the hill I was thinking 'What's the point?'. I guess the point is that there's skill involved running down a hillside. And it's a challenge. I've been advised that improving downhill speed is easier than improving uphill speed. I'll go with that for the time being. After all, some of these guys have got 20 or 30 years of experience and conditioning in their legs.

Next-up is the Bradford City Run on Sunday. No bogs, tussocks and falling on my arse in this one. Just 10 miles of hilly roads to negotiate.

Then the following Sunday it's Withins Skyline. A 7 mile fell race around the moors above Haworth. A challenging course no doubt but without the steeper gradients. I like the look of this one. And beforehand the kids race around an old quarry dressed as rats. Should be fun.
16-10-2009, 12:39 AM,
RE: October
Good run g'man - I'm no fan of running downhill either. One advantage of the treadmill of course: no downhill (except on some the stupid, wankier expensive models).

And so you finished 21st eh? Out of how many runners?
Run. Just run.
16-10-2009, 12:08 PM,
Cheers MLCM. This wasn't a huge field. About 80 runners. Part of appeal in many ways.
16-10-2009, 12:11 PM,
Thumbs Up  RE: October
(16-10-2009, 12:08 PM)glaconman Wrote: Cheers MLCM. This wasn't a huge field. About 80 runners. Part of appeal in many ways.

Top quarter (well nearly) of any field is impressive, but especially a small field, as they're usually serious runners. Great effort!
Run. Just run.
16-10-2009, 12:22 PM,
Thanks mate. It's difficult to draw conclusions based on time or position with fell races. The conditions change. Different folk turn up. The route may also change from year to year. The main thing is that they are exhilerating and I'm very much enjoying my running at the mo. As are wife and boy. Smile
16-10-2009, 01:00 PM,
Sweder will be salivating over some of those races. They do sound more interesting than the Crawley 10K.

Haworth is a favourite Yorkshire place of mine. Withins Skyline? Presumably linked to Top Withins (or Withens)? This is the ruined farmhouse that is said to feature in Wuthering Heights. In case people don't know, Haworth is the village where the Bronte family lived, and the books drew inspiration from the superb local countryside. A visit to the Bronte parsonage is compulsory for anyone passing through that area.

Envious.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
16-10-2009, 01:13 PM,
Actually I'm kicking myself EG because I'll miss Bronte Way on Sunday.

A point-to-point fell race that comes over the moors from Colne and finishes in the doorway of a pub (The Fleece at the bottom of the old cobbled street in Haworth). Plus free Taylors for all competitors!

Let me repeat that: the finish line is a pub doorway in Haworth and you are then given free Taylors.

This is going straight in the diary for next year!

Bradford City Run it is Huh
16-10-2009, 01:29 PM,
...but to answer your question EG: yes, the withins race is a horseshoe that heads out of Haworth and up past the waterfalls and ruins then back again. No doubt a route you've trod in your time.
16-10-2009, 01:31 PM,
(16-10-2009, 01:13 PM)glaconman Wrote: Actually I'm kicking myself EG because I'll miss Bronte Way on Sunday.

A point-to-point fell race that comes over the moors from Colne and finishes in the doorway of a pub (The Fleece at the bottom of the old cobbled street in Haworth). Plus free Taylors for all competitors!

Let me repeat that: the finish line is a pub doorway in Haworth and you are then given free Taylors.

This is going straight in the diary for next year!

Bradford City Run it is Huh

I ventured into my usual village pub last night for a quick pint, and what should I see on the bar? A Timothy Taylor's Landlord handpump. Hurrah!

Whoo
El Gordo

16-10-2009, 08:44 PM,
(16-10-2009, 01:13 PM)glaconman Wrote: Let me repeat that: the finish line is a pub doorway in Haworth and you are then given free Taylors.

Stop it! Stop it!! Lalala
Run. Just run.
16-10-2009, 08:52 PM,
(16-10-2009, 01:31 PM)El Gordo Wrote: I ventured into my usual village pub last night for a quick pint, and what should I see on the bar? A Timothy Taylor's Landlord handpump. Hurrah!

There goes the training! Tsk
Run. Just run.
16-10-2009, 09:27 PM,
(16-10-2009, 08:52 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:
(16-10-2009, 01:31 PM)El Gordo Wrote: I ventured into my usual village pub last night for a quick pint, and what should I see on the bar? A Timothy Taylor's Landlord handpump. Hurrah!

There goes the training! Tsk

I agree it's a perilous development. Tonight I had a close call, and it was only the lateness of M's train that saved me from the ravages of beer. Which reminds me of that bar in Chicago called the "Alcohol Abuse Center" (slogan: "We service and install hangovers").
El Gordo

20-10-2009, 08:46 AM,
Bradford 10 Mile City Run - 18th October - Hilly

The topograhy of Bradford is like that of a bowl. Whichever direction you move in, from the centre, you encounter a hill. The City Run is no-doubt part of a bigger plan and, in the first instance, it's a dry-run for a potential marathon next year. And if this race is anything to go by it will be tough encounter.

The marathon will consist of 5 loops, with each loop visiting a different Victorian park, and each loop coming back into the city. Out of the bowl and back into the bowl. Many times. This race was 2 loops and hard enough. Interesting to see how they'll manage this constant influx and ouflow of runners from a logistical point-of-view.

And even though there may have been more intriguing races held today (races involving desolate moorland, picturesque settlements, pub doorways and free-beer even), I was glad to support this one.

In a tactical sense I overcooked this one. Again. That just seems to be my style. I ran hard and well to the end of mile 8. I just about managed to hold some form in mile 9. But the wheels really came off over the last mile and I began to sink backwards. At the time it feels hopeless and hard-to-bear.

But the cold figures tell a different story. 10 miles in 66 minutes. 43rd out of 548 runners. 7th in my age category. If you'd have told me I'd be running this well 9 months ago I'd have had to laugh. The following day I got a call from the club and was asked to run the final leg in a 50 mile team relay. You run in pairs and the other guy runs a half marathon in 1:22. No pressure then.

As somebody once so consistently pointed out: If you are holding onto a rising balloon you are presented with a difficult political decision - let go while you've still got the chance or hold onto the rope and continue getting higher. That's politics man.
20-10-2009, 10:00 AM,
Jaw 10 hilly miles in 66 minutes?

Seriously, I am stunned by that. You've gone and become a really good runner while we've been sitting round munching on hamburgers and nattering about what we would like to achieve. Wow. I'm astonished, but really pleased. I guess all those years of serious cycling must have done your base fitness a lot of good, and you've somehow managed to uncover it with all these concentrated months on the hills.

A great advert for hard work and application. And the good thing is it makes me more determined to tackle my own targets which might be more modest in absolute terms but probably not too different in terms of relative improvement.
El Gordo

20-10-2009, 11:06 AM,
Cripes. Top of the class, Mr Glacon. Fantastic result. And as EG says, all down to hard work and application.

So when will we be seeing a sub-90 half?

(PS - that quote about the balloon - it wasn't Winnie the Pooh, was it?)
20-10-2009, 12:28 PM,
Appreciate the comments chaps. Running communities are a big factor in anybody's progress and enjoyment of running. That much we know.

Actually by far the best result of the day was Mrs G. She battles with knee and back-pain and had only ever run 6 miles in training. She ran continuously up every hill and finished under 1:45.

As for the quote Dan. Another Dan(ny). Famous for smoking carrots.
20-10-2009, 12:36 PM,
some pics ...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

20-10-2009, 01:20 PM,
Ah, the celebrated exponent of the Camberwell Ca-wott.

Am amazed Mrs G could move wearing those knee supports, never mind run 10 miles. Excellent stuff.
El Gordo

20-10-2009, 01:29 PM,
To echo a previous remark in these hallowed halls I suspect you're glimpsing your true potential Glaconman. It must be pretty darned exciting; great running.
I'm an advoctae of the hillwork as a base-builder and you're a shining example of how it accelerates progress. Sadly my own reluctance to ditch the social mores that shadow my profession will always mean I can only dream of such achievements. That doesn't make me any less pleased for you though; superb.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

20-10-2009, 09:17 PM,
Class act.
Crikey G'man that certainly is a superb run, and a great result. Given how well you ran Bradford, are you setting a target time for the marathon? A sub-90 half certainly looks feasible, but what do you reckon for the full distance?

Top effort!
Run. Just run.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  October 2012 glaconman 14 5,478 10-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  October glaconman 0 1,616 07-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Last Post: glaconman