Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Anvil: The Story of Anvil
12-10-2009, 06:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 29-10-2009, 11:12 AM by Sweder.)
Especially for Rocktober we humbly present for your delictation ...

I mentioned this in a post some while back when I read the book. The story is one of life-long friendship, sacrifice, heartache, pain, love, loss, tragi-comedy and unbelievable misfortune. Most of all its about never giving up on your dreams.

The move has inevitably been compared with Spinal Tap and Bad News, but the main difference for me is that Anvil were a real rock band for thirty years, played some of the biggest stadia in the world, inspired a generation of copy-cats who went on to make fortunes whilst these guys, via a series of accidents, bad decisions and basic bone-headed foolishness wound up in the one-and-nines looking on.

This film promises to be a classic; those who've seen it speak of laughter and tears. Its not only for hardened rockers but unbelievers too; a story of true love between friends who promised to rock together forever, who stood on the edge, looked down and held on even as they plunged into the abyss.
OK I'll stop now.

I urge you to see it (makes sign of the cuckold, bows head)

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

12-10-2009, 07:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-10-2009, 07:34 PM by El Gordo.)
RE: Anvil: The Story of Anvil
Sweder -- You'll enjoy the new Shane Meadows movie, I reckon. Paddy Considine stars again (as in the excellent Dead Man's Shoes -- thanks again for the recommendation Glaconman...).

Le Donk & Scor-zay-zee

PC was interviewed on Simon Mayo last Friday. Worth catching if on podcast/Listen Again.

Anyway, a mockumentary about life as a roadie, filmed live on the road with the Arctic Monkeys.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
29-10-2009, 11:07 AM,
Crowd Attendance: 174
Purely on the basis of Sweder's very strong recommendation, I had a look at this today... and .... it's brilliant! Really, really excellent documovie full of laughter and tears... loved it to bits. Heart-warming quotes such as "Family's important shit, man", and nice little tributes to those that have gone before them, such as the doffing of the hat to Spinal Tap with the brief focus pull on the amps with "input level 11". Nice stuff.

And the final, touching tribute to Japan, the land that saved them, "Oh, Godzirra!"... all good fun.

Now I just need a Flying V to go with my hair, some chains and a dildo and I too can be a failed heavy metal act.
Run. Just run.