Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Almeria 2010
28-01-2010, 02:45 PM,
RE: Almeria 2010
Thanks Antonio. Perhaps we can wait and see how we feel? I'm usually pretty tired on the Saturday because of the early start, but it would be good to meet up and have a drink or something.

We should be arriving in Malaga at 10.30. After collecting the vehicle, would hope to be on the road by 11.15 latest.

Looking at GoogleMaps, the shortest route is the A7 along the coast which they estimate at taking 2:35 (284 kms). Antonio suggested we might want to take the inland route, the A92, via Loja and Granada. This is 284 kms and takes 3:10. I don't mind either way. Might be nice to see Granada.

No doubt we'll want to stop for some lunch, so I guess it's likely we might be in Almeria at about 3:00 to 3:30. A couple of hours rest would be in order I'd suggest, and I need to go the supermercado to stock up with breakfast bananas and bagels for Sunday, so perhaps we might think about meeting up at around 6 or 6.30 to go to registration?

What about food on Saturday evening? You mentioned a pasta meal Antonio. Can you recommend somewhere?

Weather forecast for Sunday is 16C (61F for us oldies), and sunny. Sounds alright to me.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
28-01-2010, 02:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 28-01-2010, 02:51 PM by Seafront Plodder.)
Not sure when you're all going (Tomorrow?), but just wanted to wish each of you good luck for the race, and trust you'll be able to find a bar or two to celebrate afterwards. Rolleyes

Can I suggest that you all head back to the hotel after your race to watch Andy Murray winning the Aussie Open, before taking a leisurely stroll back to the stadium to watch El G's triumphant lap. Big Grin

It's just a shame the organisers can't stop fannying about with arrangements and leave things as they are for more than one year, but I suppose that's committees for ya.

Look forward to hearing of your exploits, and on a serious note EG, I hop (sic) you get round ok and without too much discomfort. x
28-01-2010, 02:57 PM,
Cheers Lard. That shemi was something else - watched the last set round at Cap'n Tom's.
The running forehand between the netpost & the ump's chair was outrageous. How lovely would it be to be that fit just for one day? If it's Fed in the final it could go five sets, so who knows? We might see the denoument after all.

As for having a drink I do hope they've got plenty of GB in Big Grin

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

28-01-2010, 03:30 PM,
(28-01-2010, 02:45 PM)El Gordo Wrote: Thanks Antonio. Perhaps we can wait and see how we feel? I'm usually pretty tired on the Saturday because of the early start, but it would be good to meet up and have a drink or something.

We should be arriving in Malaga at 10.30. After collecting the vehicle, would hope to be on the road by 11.15 latest.

Looking at GoogleMaps, the shortest route is the A7 along the coast which they estimate at taking 2:35 (284 kms). Antonio suggested we might want to take the inland route, the A92, via Loja and Granada. This is 284 kms and takes 3:10. I don't mind either way. Might be nice to see Granada.

No doubt we'll want to stop for some lunch, so I guess it's likely we might be in Almeria at about 3:00 to 3:30. A couple of hours rest would be in order I'd suggest, and I need to go the supermercado to stock up with breakfast bananas and bagels for Sunday, so perhaps we might think about meeting up at around 6 or 6.30 to go to registration?

What about food on Saturday evening? You mentioned a pasta meal Antonio. Can you recommend somewhere?

Weather forecast for Sunday is 16C (61F for us oldies), and sunny. Sounds alright to me.

All right. I think it is worth while coming via Granada even if you just have a look at the scenery and don´t get into the city. It would be fantastic to have a look at the Alhambra. Anyway, The view of the ranges of mountains with snow and the landscape is really interesting. However, on Tuesday you´d better go along the coast.

As for the Italian restaurant, I´ll take you to one if you like on Saturday. If you want to have a look at Cabo de Gata-Níjar Natural park, you can go on Monday morning or we could go on Monday afternoon instead of doing the Baños de Sierra Alhamilla run.

WWW.degata.com

28-01-2010, 04:03 PM,
Good luck to everyone in Almeria! I'll be thinking of you (wishing I was there) and will raise a pint of Guinness to you all. Hopefully you manage to get around without injuring yourself even more EG; and if your calf isn't feeling up to it, be smart and don't push it! Runners can be their own worst enemy sometimes.

I'll look forward to seeing the photos. Have fun!

Suzie
28-01-2010, 06:25 PM,
Thanks Suzie, and SP. Am having a massage tomorrow and some proper gait analysis. I'm hoping I'll be able to jog around the course without it flaring up again, but it's totally unpredictable. I have to remind myself that I got round 13 miles last Sunday, so I know it's possible.

Saw the end of the Murray match too. Annoyingly, I think it's unlikely we'll see much on Sunday unless it's a monster 5 setter.

I'll PM you my phone number now, Antonio.
El Gordo

28-01-2010, 09:11 PM,
Good luck everybody - am really looking forward to reading everyone's race/post-race celebration reports!
Run. Just run.
29-01-2010, 02:59 PM,
(28-01-2010, 09:11 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: Good luck everybody - am really looking forward to reading everyone's race/post-race celebration reports!

Gracias, MLCM.

There has been a problem with the restaurant for the post-race meal. When I went to book the table, I was told that it was closed this Sunday because of inventory. So, I´m looking for another one. In fact, I´ve already seen one which looks suitable. It is in the city centre near the cathedral.

WWW.plazadecanas.com

Anyway, I´ll go on looking for other alternatives.

I think that if you want to go to an Italian restaurant on Saturday evening, we´d better book it. I´ve been told that it is open from 8:15 pm. Shall I book a table for that time?

WWW.latagliatella.com

It is at the Rambla just opposite Gran Hotel Almería, at the beginning of the Rambla in the half marathon course.

It is a warm sunny day today.

Have a wonderful trip!

29-01-2010, 05:20 PM,
Hi Antonio

The Plasa de Canas menu looks good I think as I don't eat seafood. Milhojas de Ternera Braseada, patatas a lo pobre y queso Brie Con salsa de Champiñones - Is this Veal with potatoes and brie, and a mushroom sauce??

It's 32€ with 2 drinks or 40€ with unlimited drinks Rioja, Rueda or Local Beer. That is going to be a hard decision to make after the race .... NOT HeHe Big Grin

And La Tagliatella looks great too - pasta and pizza for carbs before the race. 8:15pm when it opens is good for me. I will need to eat something at lunch time though. Maybe we can stop off somewhere on our travels for a bit of lunch in the sunshine??

Thanks guys for your good luck messages. Weather is still looking good for the weekend and I've decided to leave my rain jacket at home this year.

Julie Smile
Almeria Half Marathon 2017
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
29-01-2010, 06:18 PM,
(29-01-2010, 05:20 PM)ladyrunner Wrote: Hi Antonio

The Plasa de Canas menu looks good I think as I don't eat seafood. Milhojas de Ternera Braseada, patatas a lo pobre y queso Brie Con salsa de Champiñones - Is this Veal with potatoes and brie, and a mushroom sauce??

It's 32€ with 2 drinks or 40€ with unlimited drinks Rioja, Rueda or Local Beer. That is going to be a hard decision to make after the race .... NOT HeHe Big Grin

And La Tagliatella looks great too - pasta and pizza for carbs before the race. 8:15pm when it opens is good for me. I will need to eat something at lunch time though. Maybe we can stop off somewhere on our travels for a bit of lunch in the sunshine??

Thanks guys for your good luck messages. Weather is still looking good for the weekend and I've decided to leave my rain jacket at home this year.

Julie Smile

Hola, Julie

I can see your Spanish is fine. Can you eat veal? I thought you could only have chicken.

I think that your decision of leaving the rain coat at home is correct although you may need it at Gatwick.

Buen viaje

29-01-2010, 06:30 PM,
Pretty sure we'll be stopping off between Malaga and Almeria for some tortilla espanola & cafe con leche J Big Grin
Not sure what (if anything) Aer Lingus will offer so will be looking for breakie at LGW too.
I've packed a windcheater/ shower-proof coat. Also found a Ladies (L) RC vest.

On the evening meal I'd like to eat as early as possible - 8.15 would be fine.
Also very happy with the suggested eateries - all you can drink Rioja? Oh dear ...

All I have to do now is get to sleep at a reasonable hour Sad

29-01-2010, 06:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 29-01-2010, 06:44 PM by El Gordo.)
Sounds good to me too. Like Sweder, I would like to eat as early as possible as I will be exhausted and need to make up some sleep. 8.15 is OK for the Saturday night, so please book that for us Antonio.

As for Sunday 'all you can drink' sounds like a rather dangerous offer post-race. Perhaps we should stay out this time rather than the usual back-to-hotel and then out later?

Och, let's play it by ear.

DON'T FORGET TO CHECK IN ONLINE GUYS!

Also, please bring driving licences if you think you might be helping with the driving.

I suppose i had better start packing. Now where's my handy race packing list gone...?

EDIT -- It's here!
El Gordo

29-01-2010, 06:50 PM,
(29-01-2010, 06:41 PM)El Gordo Wrote: Sounds good to me too. Like Sweder, I would like to eat as early as possible as I will be exhausted and need to make up some sleep. 8.15 is OK for the Saturday night, so please book that for us Antonio.

As for Sunday 'all you can drink' sounds like a rather dangerous offer post-race. Perhaps we should stay out this time rather than the usual back-to-hotel and then out later?

Och, let's play it by ear.

DON'T FORGET TO CHECK IN ONLINE GUYS!

Also, please bring driving licences if you think you might be helping with the driving.

I suppose i had better start packing. Now where's my handy race packing list gone...?

EDIT -- It's here!

OK. I´ll book as soon as possible.

I´ll meet you tomorrow at the Hotel Tryp Indalo at 6 pm.

Rest well and buen viaje.

29-01-2010, 07:24 PM,
I translated the menu with a bit of help from Google Translator - it's a useful tool when you can't speak any other languages except English. Yes Veal will be fine - don't think that they do chicken (pollo)?

I can imagine you now Sweder making up for a month's missed drinking time Sunday afternoon over a few glasses of Rioja!! Hopefully we will all have some good performances to celebrate.

I have packed my driving licence and my bag. I haven't cut the sleeves off my T-shirt yet - it has been my last job to do - wanted to be sure that the weather was going to be good before I customized it!! Maybe a Large Ladies vest will spare my T-shirt from the chop?? My RC T-shirt is a Medium ladies and on the small size so the large vest might be ok for size. Can you bring the vest along tomorrow please Sweder?

Julie Smile
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
01-02-2010, 01:57 PM,
I hope you all had a good run in the warm Almeria weather.. can't wait for the post run reports :-)
Cloggie Big Grin
Running thoughts:

Thinking of Holland
I see wide rivers
slowly flowing through
an endless lowland

(translated from H. Marsman - Dutch poet)
08-02-2010, 08:37 PM,
Hi Guys,

Sorry but I have been very quiet since my return from Almeria. It took me a few days upon my return to recover from the travel and the 13.1 miles of hard street pounding took it's toll on my body.

What a brilliant weekend it was. I totally loved the race - the sunshine really made it for me this year after the dreadfully cold weather that we have had in Sussex. I was so happy to run 2 minutes faster than last year and really enjoyed Sweder's company for the first half of the run, even if he spent the whole time telling me to relax, slow down and breath heavily in my ear Smile.

I was very happy this year to mix with the Spanish runners (Antonio, Santi and Manola). Last year with the increased numbers we didn't get much chance to mix with the Spanish guys. Thank you Antonio for all your help over the weekend, the restaurants before and after the race where splendid. It was very nice to spend more time with you this year and get you know you in person.

The run and mountain climb that we did at Cabo de Gata on Monday afternoon were temendous. It was so good to be out at a place of natural beautiful in sunshine with Ash, Simon, Antonio and Tracey. The photos taken on this day were brilliant. It was a shame that El Gordo had to miss this experience due to his calf.

I haven't made it out for a run since I got back, but am off out in the morning for 17 miles on the Downs. Hopefully Sweder will make it along too. I am aiming to carry out my training tip that I gave Antonio - run steady for the long run but run hard for the last 3 miles (have you tried this yet Antonio??).

Thank you Sweder, El Gordo, Antonio, Simon Ho and Tracey for making the weekend so enjoyable. Hope to see you all again for 2011 Almeria Half Marathon.

Julie Big GrinBig Grin
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
08-02-2010, 09:17 PM,
(08-02-2010, 08:37 PM)ladyrunner Wrote: ...am off out in the morning for 17 miles on the Downs.

I love the way you mention this like it's the most natural thing in the world. Reminds me of an ex-pro triathlete acquaintance of mine who would say things like "I'm just popping out for a quick 100 kilometre bike ride before I go back to work". Rolleyes

Great effort, Julie!
Run. Just run.
08-02-2010, 09:17 PM,
(08-02-2010, 08:37 PM)ladyrunner Wrote: Hi Guys,

Sorry but I have been very quiet since my return from Almeria. It took me a few days upon my return to recover from the travel and the 13.1 miles of hard street pounding took it's toll on my body.

What a brilliant weekend it was. I totally loved the race - the sunshine really made it for me this year after the dreadfully cold weather that we have had in Sussex. I was so happy to run 2 minutes faster than last year and really enjoyed Sweder's company for the first half of the run, even if he spent the whole time telling me to relax, slow down and breath heavily in my ear Smile.

I was very happy this year to mix with the Spanish runners (Antonio, Santi and Manola). Last year with the increased numbers we didn't get much chance to mix with the Spanish guys. Thank you Antonio for all your help over the weekend, the restaurants before and after the race where splendid. It was very nice to spend more time with you this year and get you know you in person.

The run and mountain climb that we did at Cabo de Gata on Monday afternoon were temendous. It was so good to be out at a place of natural beautiful in sunshine with Ash, Simon, Antonio and Tracey. The photos taken on this day were brilliant. It was a shame that El Gordo had to miss this experience due to his calf.

I haven't made it out for a run since I got back, but am off out in the morning for 17 miles on the Downs. Hopefully Sweder will make it along too. I am aiming to carry out my training tip that I gave Antonio - run steady for the long run but run hard for the last 3 miles (have you tried this yet Antonio??).

Thank you Sweder, El Gordo, Antonio, Simon Ho and Tracey for making the weekend so enjoyable. Hope to see you all again for 2011 Almeria Half Marathon.

Julie Big GrinBig Grin

Hola, Julie

I´m glad you had a good time and improved your time at the race and enjoyed the run at San José on Monday.

Unfortunately, I haven´t been able to train much due to a terrible cold I still have but I´ll follow your wise piece of advice.

Good luck with the long run tomorrow. Don´t push too much since Sweder´s injury may not be completely healed.

Antonio

08-02-2010, 10:13 PM,
(08-02-2010, 09:17 PM)anlu247 Wrote: Good luck with the long run tomorrow. Don´t push too much since Sweder´s injury may not be completely healed.

Antonio

I'm not really injured A, simply raw from the brutal hammering from those heartless concrete streets. I know I looked mortally wounded at Cabo de Gata but in truth that was the tail-end of an ugly hangover. I ran in Brazil but my real rehab started yesterday with a blast up old Snakey. My legs came back to life after a long kiss from the lush hillside turf. It felt like getting back to my own bed after a week sleeping in cheap motels.

08-02-2010, 10:35 PM,
(08-02-2010, 08:37 PM)ladyrunner Wrote: Thank you Sweder, El Gordo, Antonio, Simon Ho and Tracey for making the weekend so enjoyable. Hope to see you all again for 2011 Almeria Half Marathon.

Julie Big GrinBig Grin

Your pleasure at getting to know the Spanish guys didn't pass without comment Big Grin

You were an absolute star in Almeria, Julie. Such a pleasure to meet you at last, and thanks for keeping such a smiley face all the way through. All being well, look forward to sharing a few more cervezas with you next time, if not before.
El Gordo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medio Maraton XXI Almeria 2018 Sweder 19 4,587 13-12-2017, 06:56 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  XX Medio maratón de Almería 20th Almería half marathon Antonio247 96 58,643 07-02-2017, 02:52 PM
  Almería half marathon 2014 Antonio247 43 28,041 31-01-2014, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Almeria Medio Maraton (merged threads) ladyrunner 174 147,326 26-01-2013, 11:06 AM
  Connemarathon 2010 - All welcome El Gordo 125 106,079 15-02-2012, 09:10 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  Brighton 10K 2010 The Beast of Bevendean 1 5,292 29-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Last Post: petaral6
  Yellow Umbrella Day 2010 sports.coach 1 4,870 26-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  2010 Brighton Marathon Sweder 46 43,258 28-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Last Post: marathondan
  Almería half marathon 2009 Antonio247 245 159,709 13-02-2009, 08:11 PM
  Almeria Half 2008 - last weekend in January El Gordo 93 66,748 01-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Last Post: El Gordo