Eddie Izzard
15-09-2009, 10:01 AM,
Eddie Izzard
He certainly is One Phenomenal Human Being.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2009/s...harity-run
15-09-2009, 11:24 AM,
RE: Eddie Izzard
Inspiring!

Shall we all pack up and go home?

In a similar, if slightly less insane, vein: http://gormano.blogspot.com/2009/08/starting-line.html
15-09-2009, 10:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 15-09-2009, 10:17 PM by Sweder.)
Richard Bacon on BBC 5Live has tonight called for listeners to back the Izzard for BBC Sports Personality of the Year.
Gets my vote - incredible feet (sic).

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

16-09-2009, 12:08 AM,
(15-09-2009, 10:17 PM)Sweder Wrote: Richard Bacon on BBC 5Live has tonight called for listeners to back the Izzard for BBC Sports Personality of the Year.
Gets my vote - incredible feet (sic).

Astonishing! It's amazing what the body is capable of - you have to wonder if it is, after all, mainly a mind game.
Run. Just run.
18-09-2009, 11:56 AM,
Truly amazing feet...how could anybody run for such a long way with such horrible blisters.

here's the link if anyone wants to donate

http://www.comicrelief.com/donate/eddie
Phew this is hard work !
09-03-2010, 11:53 AM,
This looks like interesting viewing. Apparently available online till 25th March. Could give us all a bit of inspiration.
09-03-2010, 12:28 PM,
Parts 2 & 3 will be shown on 11th & 18th March BBC3 10.30pm.

Being full of trepidation due to running in my first 2 marathons this year, I found this totally inspiring.
09-03-2010, 02:18 PM,
Hello oldgrunter, thanks for the extra information, and welcome. When / where are your marathons? Taking on two sounds quite a commitment!
09-03-2010, 02:51 PM,
Hi,
Halstead, Essex in May & Beachy Head in October.
09-03-2010, 07:35 PM,
Welcome, OG.

I watched the first Eddie Izzard episode on iPlayer over the weekend, and found it thoroughly enjoyable. He won't break any speed records, but seems to have the rare knack of just being able to sort of 'lock on' to his intention (of plodding along all day until he gets to 26 miles), without ever considering stopping or walking -- unless it's to peer at something interesting, or to drink some beer. You can tell he's exhausted, but he just keeps going like a robot. Adds weight to the view that running long distances is largely a mental challenge.

Highly recommended to anyone with BBC iPlayer access. (Just UK residents unfortunately, I believe.)
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
09-03-2010, 09:35 PM,
I'm just settling down into bed after my 18 mile run today to watch it on the iPlayer.

I'm feeling shattered after one long run and a few short bits at the weekend, and today had trouble keeping running from 15 miles due to lack of energy and feeling fatigue. It probably would have helped if I could have stopped half way round for a pub lunch and glass of lager but unfortunately we had to run fairly hard as we're training for the Brighton Marathon.

It wasn't much fun really, more like a hard slog, and I've been thinking seriously over the last couple of weeks since I've been injured from running and practicing walking, of trying some longer off road races, where I can run/walk, eat and enjoy at a leisurely pace.

Maybe watching Eddie will make up my mind.

Julie Smile
Almeria Half Marathon 2017
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
09-03-2010, 10:20 PM,
(09-03-2010, 09:35 PM)ladyrunner Wrote: I'm just settling down into bed after my 18 mile run today to watch it on the iPlayer.

I'm feeling shattered after one long run and a few short bits at the weekend, and today had trouble keeping running from 15 miles due to lack of energy and feeling fatigue. It probably would have helped if I could have stopped half way round for a pub lunch and glass of lager but unfortunately we had to run fairly hard as we're training for the Brighton Marathon.

It wasn't much fun really, more like a hard slog, and I've been thinking seriously over the last couple of weeks since I've been injured from running and practicing walking, of trying some longer off road races, where I can run/walk, eat and enjoy at a leisurely pace.

Maybe watching Eddie will make up my mind.

Julie Smile

I'm sure you're right LR -- it's that "running hard" bit that explains your current disenchantment. The chap who does my sports massage is a long distance runner, currently training for a 100 mile event in the Lake District. The way he describes them makes them sound very different from your average marathon. People actually enjoy them. Bierzo Baggie's reports on his local long distance race are well worth reading, and seem to bear this out.

Maybe after Brighton you can treat yourself to something a bit less frenetic.
El Gordo

10-03-2010, 10:05 AM,
LadyRunner, the LDWA organise events and long-distance challenges that are open to walkers and runners. There will typically be 2 distances (a 20 and a 40) over some great routes. In my area they are renowned for putting on great food at the checkpoints and there's showers and a hot meal at the end etc.

http://www.ldwa.org.uk/index.php

Might be worth considering as the atmosphere is very different; there's much less concern about times and positions, although these will be published. But the emphasis is more on getting out and having a good time with like-minded people etc.
10-03-2010, 10:26 AM,
Thanks for that Glaconman. I checked out the LDWA website about a week ago and noticed a couple of events that took my fancy. The New Forest Marathon and The South Downs Marathon but unfortunately both clash with the Brighton Marathon.

Maybe this is something to look into when I have finished my Brighton Marathon.

I didn't realise that these events were open to runners too, thought they were just for leisurely walkers.

Julie Smile
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
10-03-2010, 11:34 AM,
This might be of interest - www.extremerunning.org
11-03-2010, 09:51 AM,
Doyen on the Downs looks interesting - 30 miles in December!!

I might enter the Beachy Head Marathon again - but this time run/walk it and aim for sub 5 hours (not sub 4 hours). Anyone interested in coming along for the ride?? Oldgrunter I see that you have entered - what time do you anticipate completing it in??
The Grizzly 2017
That's it for now!!
11-03-2010, 10:53 AM,
As it'll only be my second marathon, I'd be happy with anything under 5 hours.
11-03-2010, 12:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-03-2010, 12:14 PM by El Gordo.)
Another vote for the LDWA. I did one of their events a couple of years ago -- the Compton Challenge. As GM said, there was a 20 and 40 miles course (and the 40 wasn't just another circuit of the 20 course). I plodded round the 20 miles and thoroughly enjoyed it. Beautiful countryside on the borders of Berks and Oxfordshire. No time pressure, because I knew loads of people would be coming in after me who were doing the 40, and a decent plate of hot grub and mugs of tea at the end of the race.

Quite a few runners join the LDWA after hanging up their marathon shoes. Most famously, Julie Welch, whom I was critical of recently, went this way, and is now the head honcho.

Maybe some of the more, er, mature among us should consider moving in this direction? Might be just what my calf needs. I used to walk with a local group when I lived in Huddersfield. Round Marsden way. Lonesome cry of the curlew, and all that. And up GM's neck of the woods, as he will recall. Some fantastic walking/running country up his way. THe idea of some sort of cultural exchange should be revisited.
El Gordo

11-03-2010, 05:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-03-2010, 05:58 PM by Sweder.)
I really like this idea. I've been toying with hanging up my racing boots - at least over 26.2 miles - for some time. I've not covered the distance in anger since 2007 and I have no plans to take it on this year. Never say never and all that ... but perhaps there is more gentle pleasure to be found in these expeditions across beautiful stretches of countryside.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

12-03-2010, 12:19 AM,
(11-03-2010, 05:58 PM)Sweder Wrote: I really like this idea. I've been toying with hanging up my racing boots - at least over 26.2 miles - for some time. I've not covered the distance in anger since 2007 and I have no plans to take it on this year. Never say never and all that ... but perhaps there is more gentle pleasure to be found in these expeditions across beautiful stretches of countryside.

Crikey, is this a head of steam I see before me?

Tell you what. If we're all still up for a hike up Croagh Patrick the day after the Connemara Half, we could regard that as an inaugural, er, WC event.
El Gordo