Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2009 - Autumn
13-09-2009, 10:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 13-09-2009, 11:00 PM by El Gordo.)
2009 - Autumn
Here we go again - http://www.runningcommentary.net/index.htm#090913
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
14-09-2009, 07:15 AM,
Thumbs Up  RE: 2009 - Autumn
Excellent! The old RC machine is stirring into life again.
Run. Just run.
14-09-2009, 12:58 PM,
RE: 2009 - Autumn
"Have been peeking into your log on & off but not noticed any updates. Hope it's because the training's been going so well you've not had the time to update it."

There speaks someone who doesn't understand how RC works... Smile

Good to see you back on the blog and the treadmill, EG. Lovely report from your trip, too.
23-09-2009, 10:28 PM,
Nice work EG - seven gym visits in eight days is great going! I'll be very interested to hear what your trainer proposes for the sub-2 half marathon programme, especially given that's also my goal for the coming [insert realistic number here] months.

Any chance you can write up your sub-2 diary in the same way you wrote about your London and Chicago campaigns? It would make fascinating reading, and open a door of relevance for those of us still daunted/deterred/defeated by the full distance.
Run. Just run.
23-09-2009, 10:41 PM,
(23-09-2009, 10:28 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: Any chance you can write up your sub-2 diary in the same way you wrote about your London and Chicago campaigns? It would make fascinating reading, and open a door of relevance for those of us still daunted/deterred/defeated by the full distance.

Sorry, not sure what you mean -- do you mean package them up as a 'sub-2 campaign', a bit like a marathon campaign?

Does this mean I'll actually have to try to achieve it, rather than just robotically chanting the annual mantra? Confused
El Gordo

23-09-2009, 10:45 PM,
(23-09-2009, 10:28 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: Nice work EG - seven gym visits in eight days is great going!

9 in 11 after this evening. Tough session. Duration has crept up from 40 mins cardio to about 65, and increasing. Still badly out of condition, and very porky, but I'm generating plenty of sweat.
El Gordo

23-09-2009, 10:48 PM,
(23-09-2009, 10:41 PM)El Gordo Wrote: Sorry, not sure what you mean -- do you mean package them up as a 'sub-2 campaign', a bit like a marathon campaign?

Sort of - I mean, like actually write your diary regularly! Rolleyes

(23-09-2009, 10:41 PM)El Gordo Wrote: Does this mean I'll actually have to try to achieve it, rather than just robotically chanting the annual mantra?

Hey, it worked for the sub-5 marathon didn't it? Perhaps we should refer to you as E<2G henceforth. I don't know - what do all those self-help books you used to read say about it?
Run. Just run.
23-09-2009, 10:58 PM,
(23-09-2009, 10:48 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: Sort of - I mean, like actually write your diary regularly! Rolleyes

Ah, right, yes, OK, well, OK, yes.

I will.

(23-09-2009, 10:41 PM)El Gordo Wrote: Does this mean I'll actually have to try to achieve it, rather than just robotically chanting the annual mantra?

(23-09-2009, 10:48 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: Hey, it worked for the sub-5 marathon didn't it? Perhaps we should refer to you as E<2G henceforth. I don't know - what do all those self-help books you used to read say about it?

They say I'll make it as long as I remember the 4 Ps. Or was it the 3 Cs? No hang on, wasn't it the 5 Bs...? Blush
El Gordo

23-09-2009, 11:02 PM,
(23-09-2009, 10:58 PM)El Gordo Wrote:
(23-09-2009, 10:48 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: I don't know - what do all those self-help books you used to read say about it?

They say I'll make it as long as I remember the 4 Ps. Or was it the 3 Cs? No hang on, wasn't it the 5 Bs...? Blush

I have a book here called "90 Minutes To Success" by Brian Kahlefeldt. That would be appropriate, no? Let me see now ... (quick scan of book) ... hmm, it says to succeed you need "Goals, Plans, Action". Sounds easy. I wonder what his half marathon time is?
Run. Just run.
23-09-2009, 11:05 PM,
(23-09-2009, 11:02 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: it says to succeed you need "Goals, Plans, Action".

I'm the world record holder in those first two. It's the little matter of the third that gets in my way....
El Gordo

24-09-2009, 12:32 PM,
(23-09-2009, 11:02 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: I have a book here called "90 Minutes To Success" by Brian Kahlefeldt.

Nope, that's too quick. We're looking for 2 hours. Big Grin

Great to see such excellent progress, EG. Let us know what Phil comes up with.
25-09-2009, 01:37 AM,
Sub-2 Half
Yes EG, a time goal does take on particular meaning once the distance itself as has been attained.

As you also point out, when you look at your race splits you invariably are surprised out how fast you can run.

I plotted my PBs on a graph and found a natural curve of best time -v- distance, which suggested for me that a sub-2 half should be perfectly feasible, even though it seems a tough and distant dream just now. But I also know from experience that when I'm running well, those targets don't seem so hard.

It will be interesting to hear Phil's take on your goal. Meantime, I'll race you there!

What's SP's half mara PB, btw?
Run. Just run.
25-09-2009, 09:09 AM,
RE: Sub-2 Half
(25-09-2009, 01:37 AM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: What's SP's half mara PB, btw?

2:07 at the Brighton half in around 2004.

Would never do something quite so anal as plot my times on a graph though. Tongue
26-09-2009, 07:13 PM,
Best of luck,EG, in your new path to a healthier life and your new phisical activity plan, which hopefully will lead to new PBs and fewer kilos. Thanks a lot for sharing your targets with us. It makes me feel like going on a diet and doing more sport. I wish you reach all your goals this season.

Saludos desde Almería

26-09-2009, 10:12 PM,
Looking forward to another rollercoaster ride, EG! Here's to a steady three weeks, and an enjoyable outing for you at Crawley.
26-09-2009, 10:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 26-09-2009, 10:40 PM by El Gordo.)
Cheers Dan -- and Antonio. I'm feeling shockingly positive at the moment. Am almost believing I can do it. As long as i can stay out of the pub, I have a fighting chance.

Yeah, Crawley is really where it begins. Up till then I'm concentrating only on burning off some lard and getting some strength back in the legs. The 4 weeks from then till Brighton will be more intensive I think.

Had good 90 minutes session this evening - cycling and running 50:50. The run wasn't easy but at least there were no forced walk breaks, so that's progress in 2 days. Tomorrow morning it's 8 miles on the bike and a gym session, with a promised afternoon of gardening. So I should be massacring a few calories this weekend. I have a busy week ahead, and aren't sure what I can fit in, so need to get out while I can.
El Gordo

27-09-2009, 06:52 AM,
Admirable stuff EG; keep it going. It's all about momentum with us; get on a roll and feed off it.
Your current form reminds me of your pre-Boston resolution. If so SP will have to do more than hit a few tennis balls to meet your challenge.

I have no-mentum just now, managing resigned, sporadic toe-dips into the running pool. Another beckons this morning - another 're-start' wobble along the Brighton cliff-tops - but I refuse to beat myself up about it. In a feast-or-famine business I'm working fiendishly. Rather like a grizzly bear I'm piling on my winter fat, financially and, unfortunately, physically. Reports of my impending hibernation are, however, greatly exaggerated. Once I get back from Montreal at the end of October I will fully engage with the running process. A little late to catch you 10k-ers perhaps but - hopefully - time enough to toughen up for Almeria. Until then, it's not so much less-is-more, more as-and-when.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

27-09-2009, 07:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 27-09-2009, 07:32 AM by El Gordo.)
(27-09-2009, 06:52 AM)Sweder Wrote: Admirable stuff EG; keep it going. It's all about momentum with us; get on a roll and feed off it.
Your current form reminds me of your pre-Boston resolution. If so SP will have to do more than hit a few tennis balls to meet your challenge.

I have no-mentum just now, managing resigned, sporadic toe-dips into the running pool. Another beckons this morning - another 're-start' wobble along the Brighton cliff-tops - but I refuse to beat myself up about it. In a feast-or-famine business I'm working fiendishly. Rather like a grizzly bear I'm piling on my winter fat, financially and, unfortunately, physically. Reports of my impending hibernation are, however, greatly exaggerated. Once I get back from Montreal at the end of October I will fully engage with the running process. A little late to catch you 10k-ers perhaps but - hopefully - time enough to toughen up for Almeria. Until then, it's not so much less-is-more, more as-and-when.

Your work schedule seems very hostile towards the settled running life. Not just the crazy hours and ever-changing time zones, but the social demands. And there's no tongue in cheek there, honest! I've had jobs in the past with a similar work-hard-play-hard ethic, and it's hard to imagine trying to fit a training routine around that sort of lifestyle. The one good thing is that the physical side of the job will help you maintain some sort of base fitness. Not the same as race fitness but enough to give you a springboard of sorts when the need for proper training arrives. I can't see how else you can do almost no running for seemingly weeks on end, then turn up for one of the Marina runs and knock off 8 or 10 hilly miles.

As for me, yes, this is very similar to the pre-Christmas months of last year, when I went from sub-zero self-confidence and physical condition to my regular weekend 12+ hilly long runs without too much trouble. It all went wrong on Boxing Day, when I strained that left calf for the first time. January and February were stop-go. March was better, but I never did regain the momentum and the confidence I had pre-Christmas. Interestingly, it wasn't injury that became the problem, but fear of injury. Fortunately, there were no more strains after February but I never felt I could push myself the way I had in the first months of the training.

But I learnt from that, I hope, and this time around will try to ensure that I get the stretching and warm-ups right, will keep the calf strapped up on longer runs, and have the occasional massage. Also, I'm pretty certain that I won't be doing a spring marathon now, in which case I won't have to push my luck too far with 18 and 20 milers. If I lower my sights and stay focused on halfs for a few months, it will do me good. The main danger injury-wise is too-much-too-soon syndrome, which is why, despite the SP jibes bravado, I have no aspirations for Crawley other than to jog the 10K at a steady pace. If I manage to enjoy the experience I'll feel ready to go up a gear for the 4 weeks up to Brighton, including doing the regular Saturday 5K park runs that have just started in Reading.

But thanks for the support everyone -- it's genuinely helpful.
El Gordo

27-09-2009, 09:55 AM,
(23-09-2009, 10:48 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: Hey, it worked for the sub-5 marathon didn't it? Perhaps we should refer to you as E<2G henceforth.

I quite like the idea of changing my username to E<2G.
El Gordo

27-09-2009, 12:25 PM,
Stevio had calf trouble & now runs in knee-length compression socks. I find tight leggings in winter help by compressing my own renegade calfs; might be something in this compression malarkey : )

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2008 - Autumn El Gordo 79 47,244 08-12-2008, 11:06 PM
Last Post: Sweder