I need a new goal...
07-05-2003, 02:58 PM,
I need a new goal...
Hi all.

I starting training from nothing to run the FLM. My training said 4:30 but I blew up on the day (5:19) but still loved every minute, and want to do another.

As many others I feel very flat at the mo. Since the FLM I have been out running once a week, at around 6 or 7 miles each time. (No need to measure distance, just run for an hour for the enjoyment).

But, I am feeling the fitness starting to drain away, and need another marathon/goal to follow a schedule for!

I'm looking at Berlin (I have relatives living only only 3 hours drive away, which makes it easier).......or Dublin. I was toying with NY but we are having a whole new kitchen installed instead!!

Both are end Sept/ early Oct time, anyone any thoughts on these races?

Cheers

Andy.
07-05-2003, 07:53 PM,
I need a new goal...
Hi SP

Post-marathon blues. Very common. You only have to glance at the RW forum to see a lot of people in a similar position.

In my limited experience, it does wear off in time, but you have to be careful about not being too lazy in the meantime. It's easy to overeat and lose fitness.

Planning another event is one of the best things you can do, and particularly one outside the UK, to add to the excitement. I've heard great things about the Berlin marathon, and it's definitely on my list - perhaps in 2004. This October I'm planning to do Dublin. Again, I've heard a lot of positive reports.

The main thing is to revive your enthusiasm. It's good to stay in touch with other runners by using the forums. A bigger step in that direction is to join a running club. That's high on my 'to do' list. As soon as I regain some measure of fitness after my lay-off, I'm planning on joining not one but two running clubs. The local one in Reading, as well as the one at the place I'm working in London. They run at lunchtime.

Another thing I'd recommend (well it worked for me) is to do some reading about running. I've read a couple of things recently that have been sitting on my bedside table for a while, and have recently taken delivery of the Lore of Running by Noakes, which is an amazingly detailed tome. It's a good way of renewing your enthusiasm.

But as we've discussed before, I also think that you need time to rest and recover and repair yourself after a marathon, so if you're feeling listless and tired, it's probably just your body signalling that it's still rebuilding itself.

The other thing is to consider running some shorter races. I really like half marathons. They are still a big deal, but they don't take over your life for months on end. There are halfs pretty much every weekend of the year, as well as loads of 10Ks which are good for improving your speed.

Good luck Andy, and let us know what you decide to do. If you go for Dublin, we must meet up for a pint or two of the black stuff.

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
07-05-2003, 08:16 PM,
I need a new goal...
I was msn-ing with my training partner about Dublin just now. (How sad is that!!?)

We've had a quick shufty around the official web site and have almost decided to go for it. I'll let you know.(subject to the usual approval from management!) Have you entered yet Andy?, booked flight, accom? do tell? And yes, I'd love to meet up and buy you a Guinness. http://www.dublincitymarathon.ie/

Berlin finishes under the Brandenburg Gate, which is a good enough reason on its own to run there as it must be a stunning finish to see, so yes I do hope to do that too. Perhaps 2004.
07-05-2003, 08:33 PM,
I need a new goal...
Excellent!

No, I've not made any arrangements yet for Dublin. There shouldn't be a problem getting into the race, though accommodation is apparently not easy to come by. (Are you aware that the race is on a Monday? It's a public holiday in Ireland but not here.) I have a sister who lives in Dublin who may do the race. I'm sort of assuming that she'll be delighted to accommodate me and M, but I suppose I should check that...

Have you been to Dublin before? It's a very fine city.

You'll find runners reports about Dublin (and other races) at
http://www.marathonguide.com/races/raced...=568031027

Keep in touch Andy, and let me know if you're definitely doing it. I can already taste that Guinness...

Andy
El Gordo

07-05-2003, 10:54 PM,
I need a new goal...
I have wavered about running another marathon this year after recent experiences, but would agree wholeheartedly about the idea of setting goals to re-ignite enthusiasm.
I have just run a 10K for the first time in a while and was immediately buzzing again about my running. Admittedly it helped that I managed to run a new pb, but just being around other runners was enough of a reviver. I have a number of shorter distance races lined up now and can look forward to many weekday evenings racing. Not only are the distances achievable with little or no break in between races, but the fact they are held on Tuesdya or Wednesday nights means they do not interfere so much with family life at the weekend. Yesterday, I managed to race and be home before my daughter went to bed, so everyone was happy!
My only negative thought about setting marathons as a goal is the need to follow training schedules for three months or more. Having completed a Spring marathon I thought it would be difficult to begin another round of disciplined schedule-following from June for a September marathon. I know I would find this very difficult if I was going to be running in Nottingham or Wolverhampton. Dublin certainly has more appeal.
08-05-2003, 08:19 AM,
I need a new goal...
Good stuff Ian!

Perhaps we'll have a Runningcommentary team running in Dublin!

You know the sort of thing, where we all run in the same team vest, and the team captain (morning Andy!) with a bottomless expense account forces vast quantities of Guinness down your neck afterwards.

Now it really is starting to appeal.
08-05-2003, 12:49 PM,
I need a new goal...
I've had a word with the Accounts Department but she - I mean they - didn't seem too impressed with the idea. But it would be good to have a few people to meet up with for some post-race, er, analysis.

Great Silverstone race time, Ian. I read the report and was going to email my congratulations, but am happy to express them publicly. I'm delighted that the training tips posted recently by Seafront Plodder and myself are paying dividends. Three minutes off a 10K PB is pretty damn good.

I recall you mentioning Dublin as a possibility before, but had presumed you'd backed off a bit when you heard I'd be present.

But seriously, do try and make it. It sounds like a good event. Not as flat as London, but perhaps more fun.

I agree about the extended build-up for a marathon compared with other distances. It was one of the reasons I didn't consider a spring marathon this year, after the two last year. I don't want to be in permanent marathon training mode.

I'll be doing one of the Hal Higdon programmes again (probably stepping up from the Novice to the Intermediate - wa-hey!). These are 18 weeks, so all being well, that should start on June 23rd, the day after the Boreham Wood Half.

All I have to do now is try and get some fitness back. I'm still struggling a bit after my enforced break.

Dublin, here we come....

Andy
El Gordo

08-05-2003, 08:03 PM,
I need a new goal...
I have met with the Financial Director here and she is warming to the idea of a few days away in Dublin. I think it was a good move on my part to ask the day we received an offer on our house in excess of what we really wanted!
The idea of a more relaxed build up to a marathon in the Autumn is an attractive proposition. An easy Autumn mara' followed by a harder run in the Spring in Rotterdam is now my aim. I will put my name into the London ballot but expect to receive the usual rejection to bank for later years.
11-05-2003, 09:41 PM,
I need a new goal...
Any ideas on how you you get a final decision from the FD on going to Dublin? I know she wants to, but just won't commit.
12-05-2003, 10:47 AM,
I need a new goal...
Having been methodically building up the brownie points for some while now, I have managed to wangle a pass to go with a couple of mates, 1 is a fellow runner, the other just up for the craic!

Suggest to the FD that you will have to focus on the race beforehand, followed by maximum carbo load and rehydration afterwards. This process is not to be taken lightly, and you will be such boring company that she won't enjoy herself!

http://www.dublincitymarathon.ie/
12-05-2003, 10:03 PM,
I need a new goal...
Hmm. Difficult to give advice. My own carefully-crafted domestic management techniques are not guaranteed to work in another organisation, but for me, there are two approaches:

1) present it as a benefit (Wouldn't it be great to have a weekend in Dublin?)

2) emotional blackmail (It's really important for me to do this race; it would be the highlight of my racing career...). How could she possibly refuse such an earnest plea?

As for foot-dragging, I think the most effective approach is to point out that accommodation and plane seats are already in short supply, and if arrangements are not made soon, it might be too late.
El Gordo

13-05-2003, 10:12 AM,
I need a new goal...
Today, I sent off the entry form for Dublin City marathon!!

No backing out now....

A.
16-05-2003, 12:10 PM,
I need a new goal...
Andy which training schedule are you following? Any chance of a link?

Cheers

A.
16-05-2003, 09:54 PM,
I need a new goal...
Andy,

Good luck in the 10K on Sunday!

Best Wishes

Griff
16-05-2003, 10:23 PM,
I need a new goal...
Hi All

Thanks for the good wishes, Griff. I'm planning on treating Sunday's race as a training run only - which is my way of saying that I'll do my best, but suspect that I won't be quite fit enough to do very well.....

I've had a bit of a break. Wednesday night at Loftus Road was a deeply... emotional occasion, and it threw the world off kilter a bit. Since then, I've not run, and suspect that I won't before the race.

But I don't care very much, frankly. I'm happy. After an anxious day, I now have 4 tickets for the Div 2 play-off final in Cardiff on Sunday week.

-------

Andy (Seafront Plodder) -

I'm planning on doing the Hal Higdon Intermediate I schedule. If you know nothing about HH, check out his website at http://www.halhigdon.com.

I'm a big admirer of Hal, and was pleased to get the chance to visit him at his home after the Chicago marathon, and have a good chat about running and art and films. In fact, I've got one of his pop-art oil paintings on my wall right above my desk here.

The two marathons I've done were both planned around the Hal Higdon novice schedule, which I'd recommend to anyone who's doing a first marathon, or who's a bit of a plodder like me. I've decided to take a step up this time, and stretch myself a bit more by going for the Intermediate I.

You'll find all 4 schedules (Novice, Intermediate I and II, and Advanced) at: http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Mar00index.htm

Good luck all.

Have a great weekend, and keep us informed about what you're up to.

Andy
El Gordo

27-05-2003, 12:51 PM,
I need a new goal...
Quote:Originally posted by Seafront Plodder
Today, I sent off the entry form for Dublin City marathon!!

No backing out now....

A.

Well I'm in, with Ash my training partner! Flights booked, accomodation booked. It's just the training now.....

Make sure you're there Andy, I owe you a pint!